Thread: Keith Richards

Default Keith Richards

Interesting video regarding the 5 string.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMoe For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Keith Richards

Yes, interesting. Something I never knew about his guitar approach. I wonder if this is just for the studio or if he does this in concert as well. I've never noticed it in films. But then, in the Stones concert films I've seen, at least half the time the camera is on Mick and his antics. When they do show Keith and Ron, it seems the focus is on their faces, with their expressions and cigarettes as they play, and very little on the actually playing - and then, not closely enough to count the number of strings. I wonder.

I also wonder why, in Rolling Stone's most recent edition of their periodic list of "The 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time," Keith was #4. OK, he's good, he's solid, with a great sound, but that good? Really? Ahead of so many others? I mean ... is he even better than Nils Lofgren, who offered this adulation:

I remember being in junior high school, hearing "Satisfaction" and being freaked out by what it did to me. It's a combination of the riff and the chords moving underneath it. Keith wrote two-and three-note themes that were more powerful than any great solo. He played the vibrato rhythm and the lead guitar in "Gimme Shelter." I don't think anyone has ever created a mood that dark and sinister. There is a clarity between those two guitars that leaves this ominous space for Mick Jagger to sing through. Nobody does alternate tunings better than Keith. I remember playing the chorus to "Beast of Burden." I'm like, "These are the right chords, but they don't sound anything like Keith." He had some cool tuning, a beautiful chord so well-tuned that it sings. That is the core of every great guitar part on a Rolling Stones record. Keith finds the tuning that allows the work – the fretting, muting strings – to get out of the way of what he's feeling.

I went to see Keith with the X-Pensive Winos. In the dressing room, Keith started practicing a Chuck Berry riff. I'd never in my life heard it sound like that. I love Chuck Berry. But this was better. Not technically – there was an emotional content that spoke to me. What Chuck is to Keith, Keith is to me. - By Nils Lofgren of the E Street Band

Key Tracks: "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Gimme Shelter"

Well, RS likes to mix things up now and then. Their recent list of 100 Greatest Albums is a real mind-blower. But fear not - Hendrix is still #1, then Clapton, then Page.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Apparently Keith learned the 'open G' tuning from Taj Mahal (or Ry Cooder) when the Stones were staying at Stills' house in Laurel Canyon (back in the day). Keith has made a living off it since.

I don't play electrics anymore, but I do still occasionally play Keef's greatest hits on my duolian.

6. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

MrMoe 

I fell for a click bait news story about Bob Dylan caling the Stones the best band ever. I guess I should read it again.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dyl...olling-stones/
    Last edited by MrMoe; May-25-2021 at 5:49am. Reason: link

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Apparently Keith learned the 'open G' tuning from Taj Mahal
    Has there been a dicussion about tht mandolin sound in the Taj Mahal Folkways version of Bourgeois Blues?

He plays that tuning pretty much always. Very few exceptions.

10. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

MrMoe 

[QUOTEhttps://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dyl...olling-stones/[/QUOTE]

This appraisal of the Stones bugs me a bit. I am sure Mr. Dylan knows that the Stones re-invented themselves as the orphaned children of poor sharecropers from the American south.

12. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

Ya I don't know that Keith has worked in standard tuning at all since Let it Bleed. His guitar work isn't exceedingly technical - his essence is rhythm - after all it's only rock 'n roll. I think he and mick produced many of the best rockin guitar songs..
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jun-28-2021 at 12:09am.

14. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

MrMoe 

My guitar teacher often referred the guitar sounds of the Rolling Stones. What can be said in a few words?
    Saturated without being cluttered, laid back, powerful momentum with out ever hurrying.
    How much of a role does open G on a 5 string play on their sound?

"Start Me Up" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" aren't the same in standard tuning. Not even close. When I first played my Emando (JBbouvier) 5-string upon unpacking, the Stones "Sad, Sad, Sad" just came ringing out beautifully. I think the "saturated without being cluttered" description has a ton to do with the voicing in addition to the guitar and amp tones.
    Eastman MD505w/K&K, MDO315 w/K&K, MD415GD, Emando (JBbouvier) 5-string

17. The following members say thank you to Woyvel for this post:

MrMoe 

The British invasion sure did have good electronics and engineers.