Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really good tremelo exercises?

Default Re: Really good tremelo exercises?

The problem/challenge I have with tremolos as a relative mandolin newbie is not in creating the tremolo sound/effect itself, but in trying to maintain enough volume for it to be heard. I find myself using the "long" edge of the pick rather than playing just off to one side or the other of the point as I would picking single notes. Could this be my problem?

Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    The problem/challenge I have with tremolos as a relative mandolin newbie is not in creating the tremolo sound/effect itself, but in trying to maintain enough volume for it to be heard. I find myself using the "long" edge of the pick rather than playing just off to one side or the other of the point as I would picking single notes. Could this be my problem?
    It’s at least one identifiable part of the mandolin you haven’t yet figured out. I’m only half a year into playing mandolin myself and I’m finding that the good players have a consistency to their technique. e.g. They don’t change how they hold the pick when playing loud vs. soft or single notes vs. strumming vs. tremolo. They’ll adjust grip strength a little but the position of the pick in the fingers and the part of the pick that contacts the strings both stay fixed. As I’ve been picking some pro players’ brains and practicing I’ve concluded that for me a good pick grip for tremolo also serves all other picking needs. YMMV of course but I hope this is helpful.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

3. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Blog Entries

Also, listen to a lot of tremolo. No, a lot. See what you like. Two contrasting styles of excellent tremolo would be Butch Baldisarri, and Adam Steffy. There are many others.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    I made a great free lesson on tremolo, my favorite topic (Godfather chart included!)

https://www.timsmandolessons.com/blo...n-the-mandolin
    ooops, wrong link: here's the tremolo
    https://www.timsmandolessons.com/blog/tremolo
    Tim Connell
    Portland, Oregon
    www.timsmandolessons.com

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim C. For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    ooops, wrong link: here's the tremolo
    https://www.timsmandolessons.com/blog/tremolo
    Nice tremolo lesson, Tim, thanks
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    OK, tremelo practice-

1 2 3 4
    1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
    12341234123412341234123412341234123412341234123412 34123412341234
    etc...

Right, done that, tremelo is 1p.c. better, now I'll do the one where you change string on the last note of the group...What does this book say - same. And this one...very similar.

Is there a good source of varied tremelo exercises you can point me at please that don't make you lose the will to live out of boredom? It's odd that such an integral part of (some styles of) mandolin playing appears to be given relatively little attention in many otherwise useful and varied method books.
    I've never done any tremOlo exercises. When I started playing the mandolin in 1967 I discovered that pressing the pick against the string in a certain manner seemed to trigger that motion. I like it light, sometimes merely suggested rather than actually played.

To me it's an expressive device to be used when it expresses something. E.g., im not at all attracted to classical style continuous tremolo into the least hemidemisemiquaver. For an example of my preferences watch the beginning of Mike Marshall's entry to David Bendict's Mandolin Mondays, with him and several of his students doing Lonesome Moonlight Waltz. Perhaps the best tremolo of all is that of Matt Flinner, because of his economic use of that device.

Many players, Andrew Marlin comes to mind, move up the neck as they come in for tremolo, near the 15th fret or so. I am sure you can find some pro shot video of it if you look up Watchhouse or Mandolin Orange on youtube. I recall him talking about it too it may have been on the Mandolins and Beer podcast. He actually said that he learned to do it that way because it was easier for him.

11. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

maxr 

Lately I have been practicing chord scales using tremolo. For example, If I'm working on a song in G, I will warm up with G scale patterns for 10 minutes, practice the song for 10 minutes, and then conclude with 10 minutes of G chord scales with tremolo. This approach has help me improve my connection to the fretboard more than anything I have tried in the past.

13. The following members say thank you to Relio for this post:

maxr 

Amazing performance! Beautiful. A question, I notice that the attack angle of your pick during tremolo is about 15 to 20 degrees from the plane of the string. In a different tutorial, the instructor stated that the pick should be parallel to the string. Would appreciate your input. Thanks and have you posted any other great videos of you playing tremolo?
    Jim B Ohio

On the subject of tremolos - do you all play them with the corners of your picks or the long sides? When I play tremolos (and I'm relatively new to mandolin) I don't pluck the string back and forth quickly, I use the outer edge of the long side of the pick and slide back and forth quickly on the strings. It produces the desired effect but at a very reduced volume. So I'm thinking my technique is not correct or optimal?

Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    On the subject of tremolos - do you all play them with the corners of your picks or the long sides? When I play tremolos (and I'm relatively new to mandolin) I don't pluck the string back and forth quickly, I use the outer edge of the long side of the pick and slide back and forth quickly on the strings. It produces the desired effect but at a very reduced volume. So I'm thinking my technique is not correct or optimal?
    You're not getting the volume because you are not actually plucking the string, you are just sliding across or over the strings.

From the POV of an Italian style player, you need to use the sharper tip of the pick, a faster tremolo speed, and dig in more to get the tone and volume needed.

Keep at it!