Thread: helix ??

Default helix ??

anybody using one and what model, and how do you like them ?

Default Re: helix ??

What is a helix?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chunky But Funky For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by kjbllc View Post
    ...anybody using one ... how do you like them ?
    Well, this NJ helix will get you in to or out from NYC. I find it fun; some find it, ya know, terrifying...
    https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/i...0816174629.jpg
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; May-13-2021 at 3:37pm.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

6. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Nevin 

I don’t have any electric or pickup equipped mandolins, but I use one of Mooer’s devices similar to a Line 6 Helix with my electric guitars. For playing at home with headphones, it’s awesome. For jamming with other people, it’s a huge pain in the ass to go through all the menus to tweak settings. Not to mention, it doesn’t sound great through just any amp, which makes the tweaking even more tedious. For jamming, I use a Fender Mustang modeling amp with knobs that cover most of the settings.

thanks

If you are looking at a helix, also have a look at the Mooer GE300 Lite. I picked one up used to load my custom IRs for my instruments. Software is a bit goofy to get installed right (missing dll) but the unit itself works great.

10. The following members say thank you to McIrish for this post:

bettJo 

thanks

If you do get the Mooer, pm me and I can send simple instructions to get the windows software working.

Helix for acoustic instruments? WAY overkill. If you want lots of user feedback, try searching the TDPRI forum.

Rob,
    The idea is to use it as an IR loader for custom made IRs that are specific for each instrument. I use 9 different instruments in a show. I have IRs loaded in it that are for each instrument ( I made them in the studio). They make the pickup sound almost identical to having a KM84 (mic) in the instrument, but no feedback. I have multiple presets for each instrument so I can have some slight compression, delay or reverb when needed. So, I probably have close to 30 presets that all use my custom IRs. Of course, these pedals do way more than that but I have not found anything that works better in my setup.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Rob,
    The idea is to use it as an IR loader for custom made IRs that are specific for each instrument. I use 9 different instruments in a show. I have IRs loaded in it that are for each instrument ( I made them in the studio). They make the pickup sound almost identical to having a KM84 (mic) in the instrument, but no feedback. I have multiple presets for each instrument so I can have some slight compression, delay or reverb when needed. So, I probably have close to 30 presets that all use my custom IRs. Of course, these pedals do way more than that but I have not found anything that works better in my setup.
    Wow! That's really complex, I'm impressed with your IR expertise. It must sound wonderful and I'm sure you've got a system for keeping track of those 30 presets.

I also play electric guitar in the praise and worship scene and the Helix is heavily used in that setting in the place of individual pedal effects, so my initial response was coming from that context. I know the Helix does use IRs for amp and speaker SIMS but couldn't tell you if it's the best tool for what you're trying to accomplish. Best wishes and hope you get lots of opportunity to play out in the reopening.

thanks rob , only play 4 or 5 instruments , but that sounds like what I am looking for, what model do you recommend, do you have to do a hard wire switch or pedal switch outside the helix to change the inputs. can you have two or three inputs from the different instruments , and then get switch in between each one and have the ir all set up for quick changes? I assume its quite a learning curve to set it all up and make the ir's up . thanks for you help on this. kevin

Sorry Kevin, I haven't actually used one. They only make two models, the good one is $1700! I'm guessing the input switching would be a separate beast, I know some electric guitarists use them on their pedal board. I'm not sure the Helix is best suited for what you want to do. You should do a web search, I'm sure there are user groups out there specifically focused on the Helix. Another place to post questions would be on the TDPRI forum. Good luck on your mission!

Kevin,
    Take a look at the Mooer GE300 Lite. I got one used for about $500. It can load 20 different custom IRs. It has a ton of banks and each bank has three foot switchable presets. I use a bank per instrument and then have three different presets for the instrument. Also, it has three more switches per preset to use as toggles for FX like echo, reverb, chorus, etc. I also believe the IR length is 2048 so the quality is going to be good. You can also add an expression pedal if you need one for volume or some other effect. The GE300 Lite is small and very portable. Well worth looking at IMO.

I sound like a commercial. sorry. I've been working this stuff out for years so when I find something that works, I get pretty excited.

One caveat: The tuner is worthless for mandolin. I think its range is set for guitar so it doesn't lock into the mandolin very well. That's fine for me. I use a Korg Pitch Black anyway.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

thanks I will check it out!