Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dr. Arm for Mandolin

Default Re: Dr. Arm for Mandolin

I’ll simply not buy one.
    Last edited by Timbofood; May-10-2021 at 4:42pm. Reason: Punctuation
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Some people use an arm rest and really like it. I say more power to them!

Some people don't use an arm rest and get along fine. I say more power to them!

It's your mandolin. Enjoy.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

3. The following members say thank you to trodgers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    I'm another (non top!) UK player who uses both. you may not see many of either here because nobody in UK sells them (yet). I'm certain the Tone-Gard make my Eastman MD 305 sound better to me, and the arm rest (a Dr Arm from Banjolit in Poland) makes it more comfortable. They attach together with no probs. If you hold the mandolin away from your body you may not notice the dfference a Tone-Gard makes, because that's what it does and why it works.
    Thank you, but Banjolit is not located in Poland

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

David making some good and relevant points here on our apparatuses.

I'm a fan of armrests (for obvious reasons, but also...), as I feel like much in the same way a Tone Gard helps the back vibrate freely because nothing is dampening it, an armrest will do the same by keeping your forearm off the top. Saying an armrest improves the sound is completely subjective, but I am of the opinion that it can make a notable difference.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

6. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Great input from all.
    In 45+ years of playing guitar and mandolin, I'd never been particularly interested in adding anything on to my instruments. At the suggestion of another long-time player (and close friend) I tried his tone-gard on one of my favorite mandos. I do believe it enhanced the sound (when I played while standing) as well made for better physical balance in playing positition. So I got one and I'm happy with it, but I noticed the slight change to playing position made it a bit less comfortable on my forearm; riding the binding edge.
    I just received and installed a Dr. Arm mandolin armrest and voila - smooth and comfortable. I have to say ... more comfort and enhanced sound justified the add-ons for me.

Sometimes I put my armrest on and sometimes take it off. I've never understood how nothing is dampening the tone gard as a shirt is pressed lightly and/or tightly against and possible into the gard...I dunno, I tried one a buddy had and heard no difference with or without it but then I don't need any increase in volume, even minute' and no offence they look hideous to me

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    the tone gard ...I dunno, I tried one .... and heard no difference with or without it, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slab-5.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	194143and no offence they look hideous to me
    That's how I feel. Cadillac makes a pretty nice car, but some people think they look better with some accessorizing!

Maybe a better way to describe the effect of a tone gard is that is allows the mando to resonate fully (undampened) and that of the arm rest is for comfort (no stress on forearm) - I don't see a tone grad as an esthetic enhancement.. but for some of us it does serve a function.... as does the armrest ... which as long as it is more visible ... I prefer one that looks good too...

PS - None of my instrument cases are covered with stickers .....there's a reason for that too....

• Is there any reason why a mandolin builder couldn't bevel the side to eliminate the need for an armrest?

• and what percentage of sound comes out of the front and sound holes vs the back of a mandolin.

I assume a tone gard is at best a 1/8 to 1/4 inch separation from a persons body and back of mandolin and a person wearing a shirt or a protruding belly that touches or enters the tone guard would make the separation even less, unless you play naked ha. I assume it is said that the tone gard back and body separation is suppose to substantially increase the volume. To me maybe a 4-5 inch separation could be of a little hearing help to the player altho I can hear no difference in volume whether I hold my mandolin against my body or a foot away...I'm not trying to be a smart arse, I simply don't hear it or get it. Inquiring minds want to know...

Put simply ... the tone gard does not actually "increase the volume" per se .. it prevents the back from a belly-press-dampening effect, so to speak, which can be difficult to avoid if standing while playing.. With no dampening, it allows the mandolin to resonate at full potential.