Thread: Help identify George Washburn M 2 Mandolin

Default Help identify George Washburn M 2 Mandolin

I just acquired a George Washburn M 2 Mandolin. It looks vintage but is in excellent condition with quite a few upgrades. I’d like to know where and when it was made along with any other info on this model

Default Re: Help identify George Washburn M 2 Mandolin

2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

1. There was no "George Washburn," despite what the current owners of the "Washburn" trademark may say. George Washburn Lyon was one of the founders of Lyon & Healy, the major Chicago musical manufacturer/distributor of 100-125 years ago. The Washburn line of instruments, L & H's up-scale label, was named after Lyons' middle name.

2. All the references to M2 Washburn mandolins I find -- not currently listed on the Washburn website -- are of 1980's-'90's instruments made in Japan. Can't find specs, but even the lower-end M1 Washburns have solid heat-pressed spruce tops, which is a step up from a laminated top. Mandolin manufacture was moved to Korea before 2000; I can't find references to 2000-vintage M2 mandolins.

3. I wouldn't refer to late-20th-century Asian-made mandolins as "vintage," but they can be good serviceable instruments. As you can see from the Reverb listings, the Washburn entry-level A-model mandolins sell in the ±$2-300 range on the used market. Not sure what "upgrades" this instrument has received, but it's an entry-level instrument. Hope you get good service out of yours.

On a personal note, while I understand the current Washburn company trying to repeatedly invoke the "distinguished history" of Lyon & Healy-built Washburn instruments, the instruments they build in Asia have absolutely no connection with older Washburns. They don't look like 'em, aren't built the same way, and the only similarity is the trademark. I see that the company sells "Lyon" instruments, referring to George W. Lyon's name; this guitar is on eBay for $29 -- with a gig bag. Marketing is marketing, but implied misrepresentation is something else, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    That one is particularly creepy, Jill.

A knock off of a Gibson snakehead A but bearing a knock off brand name of another venerable midwest builder.

All the more reason why I'm such a fan of Catanese mandolins, and in particular Puglisi.
    They copied everyone, shamelessly, and with an abundance of added design brio.
    And they used their own labels.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Registered User Richard Singleton's Avatar

I had one of these M-2's bought used in 1981 and it served me well for a few years. Eventually the top began to sink and I gave it away because the price to fix it was more than its value. Mine looked just like the picture except it was a Jethro Burns model so the tailpiece had an etched facsimile of his signature.
    Rich Singleton
    Richard Singleton

Hi folks, i'm new to this forum .

I have what i believe to be a Washburn M2 , mostly because of the photo in this auction site ; claiming it to be an M2.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/pric...ith-hard-case/
    This is the only photo that i can find on the internet of a mandolin the same as mine.

If anyone else has any more info regarding the model number , year and place of manufacture; it would be very helpful as i will probably be selling it soon.
    What is particularly striking about this mandolin is the bound f-holes (which i have not seen on a mandolin before) and the cloud shaped fretboard inlays , which i don't think i've seen on another washburn mandolin.
    Unfortunately my label is missing the model number , but has an 8 digit serial number with the first two numbers 03 ; so i'm guessing 2003 ? Maybe Korean made ?
    Would be very grateful for any further info on this model.
    Cheers !

All cats are grey. All mandolins are vintage. Your old car is a classic.
    With mandolins, the association has to do with: a) not commonly seen; b) often represented attached to awful ceramic angel statuettes; c) considered appropriate as ancient at otherwise grotesque Renaissance Faires. Where they are called lutes.

Universal, instant access to information may have spread ignorance. Go figure.