Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

Default Re: Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

The trippy video is what got my attention because of its similarities to a CAVE video.
    Last edited by MrMoe; Apr-25-2021 at 7:07pm. Reason: caps

I love Mandolin Orange and always will as long as they maintain their musical identity. I guess I'm in the same camp as Mike R. on the name change thing. I don't really get it but frankly it could just be a generational thing (or agents, or friends ,or managers or record labels managers) everybody throwing's in their 2 cents. Not sure The Rolling Stones would be thinking too much about that.

After listening to the new song/video a few times, I'm loving it. I've been a Mandolin Orange fan for quite a few years now, and am good with the new name. I like it, and am looking forward to hearing more. After recently getting Andrew Marlin's new instrumental albums, I'm just so impressed with how talented and prolific he is. The music and talent of the musicians he plays with are just so good. Of course, Emily is also an incredible singer and musician. This new music continues to show how talented Andrew and Emily are. It's awesome to watch them grow, and I look forward to what they do in the future. By the way, I highly recommend listening to the new song with headphones. The recording and mix are incredible!

4. The following members say thank you to Scott L for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Got to see and meet (!) them up close & personal 6-8 years ago in Morristown NJ, at a backyard concert in the garden of a local museum! I'll still be a fan regardless, but agree that the name change puzzles me... which maybe just indicates that I'm in the more, uhmm, "mature" demographic!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I rank them among the greats, along with Simon and Garfunkel, Peter, Paul and Mary and others.

7. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

Is it possible that the artists felt somewhat pigeon holed or limited by the previous name? The new name is not as limiting or as descriptive of what is to be expected.

For example, when a name like "Guitar Gary" or "The Jazzy Gents" or "The Bluegrass Buckaroos" or "Blue Bass Guitar" or "Fiddlin' Fellow" etc.. appears on a concert bill, a person doesn't have to use too much (or as much) imagination about what is to be expected. It's like being told what to expect of an experience before experiencing it. Perhaps a less obvious name is more thought provoking??

For the record, I like both names and have nothing but respect for the artists. I have nothing to go by besides the statement they put out about the name change. Mandolin Orange was/is obviously a play on words. Also, I love the mandolin.

I’m reminded of a North Carolina old time band that call themselves Hard Drive. They have a cd out called RAM. Good luck trying to find them using Google. Or another local band that had to change their name twice because they found out some other acts already used the names. Somebody even started using the name Mando Mafia as his handle on youtube, (and YT refused to make him change it, and he ignored me.)
    Band names are tricky things...I wish Watchhouse all the best with their new name.

Pete

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

They've already made the change on wikipedia, with a redirect. And since the name has been changed, previous activity is ascribed to the new name. So, for example, a 2019 TV appearance is credited to the new name, even though it was made under the old name. Someone adjusted their discography to include a column entitled "Era," and their six previous albums are listed in the "Mandolin Orange" era. Presumably soon there will appear a "Watchhouse" era to accommodate the new single/video and forthcoming releases. That sort of thing.

They made these changes April 21st, same day as the announcement. This discussion seems moot.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    I’m sad to see them change the name on account of mandolins and the color orange are two of my favorite things. I thought the name was brilliant and unique. Watch house as a band name is kind of “meh” if you ask me.
    I agree ..''meh''.....Not sure why a band would ditch a name that took so many years to successfully entrench in people's minds .

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    I’m sad to see them change the name on account of mandolins and the color orange are two of my favorite things. I thought the name was brilliant and unique. Watch house as a band name is kind of “meh” if you ask me.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    I agree ..''meh''.....Not sure why a band would ditch a name that took so many years to successfully entrench in people's minds .
    and Double Yes

Stay untrippy and I didn't see where whoever produced it did even a mediocre job, listening here on my laptop I could barely even hear Emily nor would I care to listen to Art Blakey doing trippy fusion rock jazz... MO is one of my favorites and if I don't hear any new things that move me I'll just keep listening to my extremely good old/ole MO playlist I have
    Last edited by CBFrench; Apr-28-2021 at 4:27pm.

Since the old MO is going in a different direction (more power to them), if you are loking for your acoustic duo fix, you might give these guys a try:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...-Troubles-Away
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I've always been a fan and they've always been great but Andrew has really grown. I think he's a genius level composer. He's also exploring a more emotional type of music. Geniuses are restless I guess. I think the new name better fits what they've been up to lately.

Following Chris Cravens' lead, here's another duo to check out featuring mandolin and bouzouki:
    https://janandjon.bandcamp.com/album...urns-jon-doran
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

15. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoe View Post
    I rank them among the greats, along with Simon and Garfunkel...
    That is a very bold but valid comparison for songwriting and vocal magic. I think 'Marlin and Frantz' have the edge as far as mando and fiddle goes, they get along better too.

It gets them a whole line by themselves on festival posters. Watchhouse (formerly Mandolin Orange) while Sam Bush has to share a line.

https://www.musicfestivalwizard.com/...omp-fest-2021/ scroll down to see the poster.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I'm glad to know that the Covid pandemic will be over by September 15, 2021......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    It gets them a whole line by themselves on festival posters. Watchhouse (formerly Mandolin Orange) while Sam Bush has to share a line.
    Sure, but they're only on line #4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I'm glad to know that the Covid pandemic will be over by September 15, 2021......
    Not so. But some festivals are trying to plan ahead on the assumption that conditions will be safe enough for large gatherings if people adopt safe behavior patterns. I have no idea how they are able to have that much confidence at this point, but planning far ahead is part of festival coordination. Always has been, always will be.

For instance, Newport Folk Festival is spread over two consecutive three-day sessions, presumably to accommodate social distancing in their finite audience area. I have my doubts this will work, but I give them credit for trying.

I would note, though, the conspicuous absence of some major festivals in the Wizard's listings. Grey Fox, Philadelphia, Rhythm & Roots - still too soon for them. One listing I'm happy to see is Green River. That usually takes place the third weekend of July, same as Grey Fox. I used to have to make some tough decisions, and/or drive back and forth (they're an hour and a half apart). This year they've pushed it back to the last weekend of August, which makes it fit into my travel plans much better. As long as it doesn't conflict with Philly. Oh, and look who's playing this year. Should I tell them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRF.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	193890

Not to worry, actually. The festival has already updated its poster. It's the wizard who needs to gaze again into his crystal ball.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    Is it possible that the artists felt somewhat pigeon holed or limited by the previous name? The new name is not as limiting or as descriptive of what is to be expected.
    The official explanation, posted here, suggests this. But I don't get it. In what way does "Mandolin Orange" suggest a particular style of music, except one with mandolin in it? Am I missing a cultural reference here?

21. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

I hate seeing WatchHouse (formally Mandolin Orange) posted. Hell if you want to change the name then change it and drop the formally was mess....I'll keep them listed as Mandolin Orange!

Blog Entries

Duly noted. Because it's really up to you what they do, right?

Listen up. People who make their living through public performance tend to develop a following as they become progressively successful. They tour the country, perhaps other countries, playing to audiences in far-flung locales. These appearances must be booked well in advance, in order for everything associated with them to get all set, to put in place complex scheduling and travel logistics for the people in their employ, for the venues at which they will be playing, and for their audience.

In order to accommodate the impact that a name change of a popular touring act will have on previously planned performances, a period of time in which the name change is announced at every venue will be necessary, to ensure that everyone, or at least as many people as possible, who are interested in the performer(s) will be as informed as possible about the name change. No fan should be denied the opportunity to go to a show because they hadn't heard about something like this. Those of us who have seen this notice here may consider themselves to be among the better-informed concerning this. This news may not yet have reached all concerned. As I posted earlier, one festival to which they were booked before the name change has had to change their poster, while the website where I had first seen this poster as part of its publicity had not yet done so. This sort of rolling update could take a while. It behooves people who already know about this to have some patience while this transitional period plays out.

They made these changes April 21st, same day as the announcement. This discussion seems moot.
    It also seems pointless. My vote would be for the thread to be closed. It's served its purpose.

No I want to keep B oching about it!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Duly noted. Because it's really up to you what they do, right?

Listen up. People who make their living through public performance tend to develop a following as they become progressively successful. They tour the country, perhaps other countries, playing to audiences in far-flung locales. These appearances must be booked well in advance, in order for everything associated with them to get all set, to put in place complex scheduling and travel logistics for the people in their employ, for the venues at which they will be playing, and for their audience.

In order to accommodate the impact that a name change of a popular touring act will have on previously planned performances, a period of time in which the name change is announced at every venue will be necessary, to ensure that everyone, or at least as many people as possible, who are interested in the performer(s) will be as informed as possible about the name change. No fan should be denied the opportunity to go to a show because they hadn't heard about something like this. Those of us who have seen this notice here may consider themselves to be among the better-informed concerning this. This news may not yet have reached all concerned. As I posted earlier, one festival to which they were booked before the name change has had to change their poster, while the website where I had first seen this poster as part of its publicity had not yet done so. This sort of rolling update could take a while. It behooves people who already know about this to have some patience while this transitional period plays out.

It also seems pointless. My vote would be for the thread to be closed. It's served its purpose.
    What's wrong with people expressing their opinions? Even those you disagree with. You most certainly have; plenty. If it's good for you, why not others?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I've made my viewpoint clear. Repeatedly. This last point was not an opinion, it was informative. I don't know what about it you object to, as you quoted the entire post. I don't know why people do that. It doesn't do anything, except burn up a bit of storage space on the server.

Again, this thread was begun with an announcement. What Andrew and Emily want to do is up to them, no one else. If they had wanted input, they could have asked for it. They did not; it's safe to assume they do not. All they were doing was announcing the change and explaining it.

They made their decision long ago, and announced it two weeks ago. It's their decision, and it's final. The discussion is moot, pointless, and purposeless. That is my opinion, though it's goshdarned close to fact. But I'm just one out of 53,262 members. I have no idea how much my voice or vote matters. Go ahead with whatever you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    My money says that is the underlying reason for the name change.
    I think this reply is the spot on answer, see post #15.

I would say they are sensitive enough to understand the world today.

The rest of this discussion has seemed pointless to me…. but hey, I understand that people don’t like change.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    It's pretty much over around here already. There are still rules in place, but nobody is following them and nobody is enforcing them.

Live music is back!
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

I don't know what about it you object to, as you quoted the entire post. I don't know why people do that. It doesn't do anything, except burn up a bit of storage space on the server.
    I'll attempt to multi-quote, so as to save server storage space!

They made their decision long ago, and announced it two weeks ago. It's their decision, and it's final. The discussion is moot, pointless, and purposeless.
    It's a discussion board. People discuss things, whether you approve of or agree with that or not. I happen to think open discussion is healthy. Especially within certain boundaries, which this site does a good job of enforcing. Any discussion you don't want to see or be a part of, you can just choose not to click on that discussion link. And others can choose to discuss if they want. Simple.

Go ahead with whatever you want to do.
    Thanks.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

32. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post: