Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: New Mando on the way...

  1. #1
    Searching for the Sound
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    320

    Default New Mando on the way...

    ... still love my Eastman 505, but with inventory so low and desire for an F style, I just pulled the trigger on a Eastman MD815 from The Mandolin Store. My talents won't do the instrument justice, but I've come to appreciate I'm worth it !!!!
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

  2. #2
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    5,164

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    This one?....

    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/170111#170111

    Looks nice, enjoy!
    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  3. #3

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    mtm, You may be surprised. When you move up to an instrument that is more responsive with additional nuances, your playing evolves. At the very worst, you'll be more motivated to play more, which in itself should make you better. Enjoy that new mando and start saving now for the next leap up the MAS food chain!

  4. #4
    Mando-Afflicted lflngpicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,945
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Love those 815’s! Enjoy it in good health!
    2020 Pava Pro A5 Torrefied Varnish
    2007 Weber Diamondback F5 Prototype
    1930's Stradolin A5
    1912 Gibson A Oval

  5. #5
    Searching for the Sound
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    mtm, You may be surprised. When you move up to an instrument that is more responsive with additional nuances, your playing evolves. At the very worst, you'll be more motivated to play more, which in itself should make you better. Enjoy that new mando and start saving now for the next leap up the MAS food chain!
    I resisted MAS for quite a few years... I'm thinking this may do me for the duration. And yes, Charles, that is the one !!!!
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

  6. #6
    Searching for the Sound
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Love those 815’s! Enjoy it in good health!
    The darn WI weather turned cold, so I think I'm going to have to let it sit overnight after Friday delivery.... torture ....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

  7. #7
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    806

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Congrats on the new acquisition. She's a beauty.

  8. #8
    That guy playing mandolin
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Provo, Utah
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Congrats! I hope you love your new mandolin. Keep us posted once the acclimation is done!
    The Loar LM 310f
    Vangoa A Acoustic

    I enjoy walking barefoot and playing my mandolin, and if I can do both at once, you'd be hard pressed to find a happier soul.

  9. #9

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    I vacillated between the 815 and my eventual purchase of the 615 in Feb. Didn't think I could tell the difference in spruces on a Mando, and I wanted the pick-guard. I hope you enjoy that as much as I do mine.

  10. #10

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    That's purdy...congrats!

  11. #11
    Searching for the Sound
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by M19 View Post
    I vacillated between the 815 and my eventual purchase of the 615 in Feb. Didn't think I could tell the difference in spruces on a Mando, and I wanted the pick-guard. I hope you enjoy that as much as I do mine.
    I was after a 615 but my impression was there is a significant wait for the 615 ... so when I saw the 815 on sale ... why not? Toss a few more bills in the fire, right?
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    St. Louis, MO area
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Wow, that is a beauty! And I was all excited about the 314 I just got yesterday....

    Still am! Excited for you too! Hopefully Iíll get to your spot someday!

  13. #13
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    806

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Did it arrive today???

  14. #14
    Searching for the Sound
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Did it arrive today???
    it arrived yesterday ... but I was having too much fun to post. My 505 ain't no slouch, but the 815 just screams pro. It is gorgeous. It is LOUD. Noticeably better sustain. Big deep end. The dang case is embarrassingly plush. Give me a few minutes to remember how to show pics ...
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

  15. #15
    Searching for the Sound
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2872.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	382.2 KB 
ID:	193798, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2873.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	602.4 KB 
ID:	193799, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	513.6 KB 
ID:	193800, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	594.8 KB 
ID:	193801, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2890.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	520.1 KB 
ID:	193802
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

  16. #16
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    806

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    it arrived yesterday ... but I was having too much fun to post. My 505 ain't no slouch, but the 815 just screams pro. It is gorgeous. It is LOUD. Noticeably better sustain. Big deep end. The dang case is embarrassingly plush. Give me a few minutes to remember how to show pics ...
    I believe that case deserves its own thread! Nice looking family, especially with the 815 addition.

    Next you need to update your signature.

  17. #17
    Old Time Geezer Peter Houser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Congrats! Beautiful looking mandolin and case. Enjoy!
    1919 Gibson A2

  18. #18
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    5,164

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2872.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	382.2 KB 
ID:	193798, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2873.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	602.4 KB 
ID:	193799, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	513.6 KB 
ID:	193800, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	594.8 KB 
ID:	193801, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2890.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	520.1 KB 
ID:	193802
    Congrats!
    Must be an optical illusion, the 815 looks much smaller than the 505 and the Fender in the photo.
    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  19. #19
    Searching for the Sound
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Congrats!
    Must be an optical illusion, the 815 looks much smaller than the 505 and the Fender in the photo.
    It's a different stand... closer to the ground. I should give it a plush stand ....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

  20. #20
    Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Congratulations! She (and her case) are beauties!
    Now, what was I after when I wandered in here?

    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT
    Fiona, My 2021 GSMonroe Guitar-Bodied Octave Resonator Mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305
    Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 Violin
    Rich, my 1959 Husband

  21. #21
    Registered User Frankdolin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    near Boston, MA
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Man she's pritty..

  22. #22
    Moderator JEStanek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    13,990
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Congrats and enjoy!

    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

    + Give Blood, Save a Life +

  23. #23
    Searching for the Sound
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    So... moving to the F from the A style, I notice that having my strap around the scroll makes the balance noticeably headstock heavy. Is this something one just needs to get used to? I suppose I could put strap under strings at the nut, but that looks lame... Advice?
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    So... moving to the F from the A style, I notice that having my strap around the scroll makes the balance noticeably headstock heavy. Is this something one just needs to get used to? I suppose I could put strap under strings at the nut, but that looks lame... Advice?
    Sounds as if the body might be lighter than on the 505. I’d say that’s a good thing. You could add a Tone-Gard or arm rest for counterbalance
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615-tweaked

  25. #25
    Chu Dat Frawg Eric C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    616

    Default Re: New Mando on the way...

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    So... moving to the F from the A style, I notice that having my strap around the scroll makes the balance noticeably headstock heavy. Is this something one just needs to get used to? I suppose I could put strap under strings at the nut, but that looks lame... Advice?
    Nice mandolin. It's something you'll just have to get use to. That headstock has a lot more weight to it, causing it to dip. You can keep it pretty stable with your right forearm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •