Thread: Beginner: Kentucky KM-150 or Aria M-180?

Default Beginner: Kentucky KM-150 or Aria M-180?

Hello from sunny New Zealand!

I'm an intermediate clawhammer banjo player, and would like to branch out a bit and give mandolin a try. Although we have a surprisingly large folk music scene in my area, there don't seem to be many mandolin players - mainly guitar, fiddle, and banjo - and there isn't a big market in beginner-level instruments. Mainly interested in earlier bluegrass, just solo practice and small sessions.

There are currently two mandolins listed on our local craigslist/ebay equivalent which look quite similar to my eye, at a price that I could afford - just wondering if one or both might be a reasonable starter instrument? Neither is close enough that I could see it in person before bidding.

Aria M-180 from the 1970s: https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...3050192458.htm

Kentucky KM-150 which I assume is more recent: https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...3048848640.htm

Default Re: Beginner: Kentucky KM-150 or Aria M-180?

I vote for the Kentucky. The KM-150 is generally considered an excellent instrument to start with. Arias can range from nice to thin and muted.

1. Can't find specs on the Aria, but based on several Google look-ups, it appears to be a mid-price instrument from 40-50 years ago. I've seen the top variously described as "solid, carved spruce" and "laminated, at least three plies," so there seems to be some confusion; perhaps the specs changed on it during the years it was made. Back and sides are described as mahogany, which is not the most common wood used in mandolin construction -- maple is -- but has been used by other makers. Asking prices for the AM-180 seem to vary, down to as low as $125, so the listed one is not a great bargain.

2. The Kentucky KM-150 is perhaps the most consistently recommended "starter" mandolin on the Cafe. All solid woods, carved rather than heat-pressed, and a reliable mandolin if properly set up and adjusted. The listed one also has a decent case. In your shoes I'd buy the Kentucky.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Excellent, thanks guys! I'll aim for that KM-150.