Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advice for Next Mandolin

Default Seeking Advice for Next Mandolin

I recently stumbled across this forum and have really enjoyed reading many of the older posts in conducting due diligence for an upcoming mandolin upgrade. Great resource.

I currently have a Kentucky KM-160 which has been a great starter mandolin. My only real complaint with it is that the neck is a bit tight for me as I am a native guitar player and I am coming to the mandolin as my second instrument. The sound is a bit tinny too, but I've always chalked that up to getting what you pay for.

I am looking to upgrade a step or two up and would prefer something with a wider neck and preferably domestically made.

As to style and sound I play a wide variety of music so I am open to options that don't necessarily fit the bluegrass sound or look - so A's and ovals are o.k. by me.

I also play in electrified settings, so something with a pick-up or able to readily accept one is a bonus.

I am leaning toward investing $1.5 - $2K in my next mandolin and invite input and suggestions - I have been looking at older Breedloves, Gibson A's and 150's.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Thank you all for your help and input- it is most appreciated!

Russ

Default Re: Seeking Advice for Next Mandolin

I like this Pomeroy. I prefer a thinner nut width, but if I was interested in a wider nut width I'd strongly consider this one.
    https://reverb.com/item/64959140-202...in-oil-varnish

3. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

+1 on the Pomeroy!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post

Anything else I should be looking at?
    Yes. I would consider looking at a good flat top. Something like the Big Muddy. There are others of course, but I have enjoyed my Big Muddy M-11 in all kinds of musical situations.

A flat top can do it all, but it is distinctly not bluegrassy. The arch top has got a kind of monopoly on that sound.

But sounding bluegrassy is not, perhaps, the most important thing. Also, flat tops are generally not as pricey as arch tops. We can argue about the reasons, but it is often true, meaning that you can get great woods and great build quality and great sound for the same price as a more mediocre arch top. Also, you may save enough serious cabbage to then turn around and get a Gibson A or something.

I have no dog in the fight, and I am not religious about it, I own an arch top as well, I am just suggesting an option that you may not have considered.

Jeff
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

7. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Thank you for the feedback, gents! I am studying up on the Pomeroy product line now as this is not one I was familar with.

Thank you for the advice!

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Yes. I would consider looking at a good flat top. Something like the Big Muddy. There are others of course, but I have enjoyed my Big Muddy M-11 in all kinds of musical situations.

A flat top can do it all, but it is distinctly not bluegrassy. The arch top has got a kind of monopoly on that sound.

But sounding bluegrassy is not, perhaps, the most important thing. Also, flat tops are generally not as pricey as arch tops. We can argue about the reasons, but it is often true, meaning that you can get great woods and great build quality and great sound for the same price as a more mediocre arch top. Also, you may save enough serious cabbage to then turn around and get a Gibson A or something.

I have no dog in the fight, and I am not religious about it, I own an arch top as well, I am just suggesting an option that you may not have considered.

Jeff
    Jeff:

Thank you for the input- that is certainly a good idea. I see there is an M-2W in the Classifieds- is this the same build as the M-11W just with maple instead of mahogany? I assume the M-2 is going to have a brighter sound than the M-11 in general?

If you can find a used Pomeroy they are hard to beat.

11. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Another wide neck/amplified option to consider is Rigel. My CT 110 is above your range, but A styles can be had where you’re looking. No longer made new, but they do pop up used from time to time. Silverangel is another to consider, though you’d have to get Ken (Ratcliff) to add a pickup or have it added later. I’ve only played 2 or 3 Pomeroys, but they were all excellent as well. Good luck!
    Chuck

13. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I’ve got a Morris oval hole A with a pickup that I use daily that sounds and plays great and would have been in your price range. I haven’t seen one with a wide neck but you could ask Sonny if he would build one that way.

15. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Another wide neck/amplified option to consider is Rigel. Silverangel is another to consider...
    Chuck:

Thank you for your reply. I sincerely appreciate it! I was somewhat familiar with Rigel but had never heard of Silverangel- looks/sounds quality- I'll contact them!

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    I haven’t seen one with a wide neck but you could ask Sonny if he would build one that way.
    Thanks, NDO. Great suggestion- I circled-back with Mr. Morris to see what kind of feedback he might offer.

Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

19. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Used Morris in the classifieds with a K&K pickup. Not a wide neck however...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/200961#200961

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

21. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Duplicate
    Last edited by Litsinger; Mar-06-2023 at 5:47pm. Reason: Duplicate

You all are awesome- thanks for the input.

So after a survey of what is a: available and b: oval sound-hole I am seriously considering either:

1. The Pomeroy that @Steve 2E and @Chuck Leyda suggested above (detail here): https://pomeroyinstruments.com/pomer...h-coming-soon/

or:

2. A Howard Morris 3-Point with radius ebony fretboard, adjustable ebony bridge, Grover tuners, spruce top and maple back and sides. This model is $1,150 - photos below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morris 3-Point Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	206445

Is the Pomeroy worth an extra $745? It should be pointed out that the Pomeroy has a HSC while the Howard Morris comes with a gig bag.

Thank you all for your help and input. I do appreciate it!

Russ

As a Pomeroy oval owner, I'd recommend the Pomeroy but I've never played a Morris. You do get an adjustable truss rod with the Pomeroy while the Morris has a truss rod that isn't adjustable. If the relief is how you like it on the Morris, you're good. If it isn't, you're looking a fretboard plane and refret. FYI. Pomeroy has a varnish finish and I think the Morris is lacquer. Those are differences that I would consider if I were buying.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Pomeroy has a varnish finish and I think the Morris is lacquer. Those are differences that I would consider if I were buying.
    Thanks, Don. I sincerely appreciate the feedback. I had studied up on the trussrod question but had never considered the varnish versus lacquer question. To your mind, does a light lacquer finish produce a superior sound relative to a light varnish finish? I've never owned an instrument with a lacquer finish so I don't have a good frame of reference.

I love my Morris- but I’ve never played a Pomeroy. I do however have two Eastmans and a BRW to compare it with. It’s head and shoulders above the Eastmans in tone but not quite as sweet as the BRW. It’s definitely the one I reach for every day.

27. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

So here's another one I found. And it is just above your price range but it sure looks like a good deal. Steve Hinde is a very well respected luthier. Wide nut, James Tailpiece, Waverly tuners. Would make for quite the upgrade over the Kentucky160. I got to play one of his mandolins yesterday and it was very nice.
    https://reverb.com/item/63760633-hin...dolin-sunburst
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

29. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    ... not quite as sweet as the BRW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    Steve Hinde is a very well respected luthier.
    You all are certainly opening my eyes to a lot of really great boutique manufacturers - I can tell it has been awhile since I payed close attention to the mandolin scene.

Here's a dark horse candidate I've run up on - a peghead A4 with an older K+K pick-up. Assuming it sounds/plays well, would something like this be a safer investment?

Name:	received_537981688435581.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	413.7 KB 
ID:	206452

Name:	received_752635966186246.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	363.9 KB 
ID:	206453

Name:	received_774575023700810.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	578.5 KB 
ID:	206454

Name:	received_903205747655075.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	206455

Name:	received_1643534322766393.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	523.0 KB 
ID:	206456

Sun Valley Guitars has a The Loar (blem) LM 700 for under a grand.
    Last edited by J Mangio; Mar-07-2023 at 11:11am.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

33. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Blog Entries

Actually, I think the 'W' means wide neck. So an M-11W is the M-11 with a wider neck.

But I could be wrong.

I really love the tone of my M-11. Not brassy or tinny, very nice. And that mahogany smells so great whenever I take it out. Also, the intonation is perfect all the way up the neck, and the thing just stays in tune.

It is a lovely, quality instrument. Or, for the same price you can find many "not quite as good" to downright compromised arch tops and F styles.

The only drawback, for that iconic bluegrass sound, I would not recommend it. But I don't play much bluegrass. Also, if it matters, it is a very plain looking mandolin. I like that but it is not to everyone's taste. You take that out at a folky jam or open mike night and folks are not expecting much. This can be an advantage in that whatever you can do will beat expectations. No performance anxiety.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

35. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Actually, I think the 'W' means wide neck. So an M-11W is the M-11 with a wider neck.
    I think you are right on that - I was curious if an M-2 and an M-11 are the same build just different tone woods? If I am wanting a more 'woodsy' sound, I would assume the maple top is going to be generally brighter than the mahogany top on yours?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    I think you are right on that - I was curious if an M-2 and an M-11 are the same build just different tone woods? If I am wanting a more 'woodsy' sound, I would assume the maple top is going to be generally brighter than the mahogany top on yours?
    The M-2 would have a spruce top with maple back and sides, as opposed to the all-mahogany M-11. I’d expect the former to be brighter and the latter to be warmer.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5