Thread: James Tailpiece on Eastman MD 515?

Default James Tailpiece on Eastman MD 515?

Hi, all. Recently the tailpiece on my Eastman MD 515 broke. Broke, you say? Yeah, one of the little tongs on which the loop ends of strings attach broke off. No idea how it happened--I just picked it up the other day, and it had come off. The mandolin experienced no bumps or anything like that, as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, after some research, I decided to go ahead and buy a James tailpiece to replace my current one. I know they're very highly recommended, but I haven't been able to find in the forums whether swapping out the Eastman tailpiece for the James will involve anything more than unscrewing and screwing. In other words, does anyone know if the James tailpiece will line up with the holes left over from the Eastman tailpiece?

I know that if the holes don't line up, filling in the old holes is necessary, but that's not anything I want to do myself, so I'm trying to gauge whether or not a visit to the luthier is in my future.

Default Re: James Tailpiece on Eastman MD 515?

Unless something drastic has changed It's not a hole for hole switch.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Sometimes you get lucky and the replacement tailpiece may even cover the old holes. You could choose to plug them or not. Care should be taken in drilling your new holes but doable if you're handy. I personally like the James design and how it's engineered over other makers.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Did you get the James? How did it work out?
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I too am interested to know what's involved in an Eastman cast tp to Allen or James tps.
    ---
    Arnold, California

Most people just fill the old holes with toothpicks and glue and drill new ones. James tailpieces are wonderful and make string changing a piece of cake. They're a little over the top for a $1k instrument and you'll never recover that investment if you resell to upgrade.

If you haven't already heard, Eastman will send you a new tailpiece free of charge regardless of whether you're the original owner or not.