Thread: Kalamazoo KM 11 - What's the current street price?

Default Kalamazoo KM 11 - What's the current street price?

I have located a Kalamazoo KM 11 for sale in my hometown. I haven't handled it, but photo's I've seen look promising.

If it is in decent playing shape, with no major repairs needed, what would be a reasonable offer?

I can find a number of these available from an online dealer in the $700-$1,000 range, but they haven't moved in years.

Any thoughts from the mando-sphere?
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Kalamazoo KM 11 - What's the current street price?

I've had more than a few KM11s over the years...picking one up and then selling it off as they seem fairly available.
    I think they are nice mandolins. Not super crazy about their tone but for my hands they are likely the most comfortable and playable necks I've ever held.

I've tended to buy them in the $350 (low end) to $450 range and have easily sold them in the $400-500 range. While prices seem to have escalated some that's been my experience. $700 seems like it would be on my own outer limit.

I thought the prices I was paying and selling them for were bargains.

$1000 seems pretty far on the high side, in my view. You're entering in Gibson carved top A level there. Or close to the (unfortunately named) flat top Calhouns from Northfield. Or a used Big Muddy.

These are flat-tops though, so make sure you check out the braces inside if you can. I've had one implode on me. I tore the back off, repaired and rebraced the top and put it back together. Still have it... it plays nicely, maybe a bit brighter than before.

Just my dos centavos...hope it helps! They are nice mandolins.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

My experience with them is the same as Mick's. I've owned two. I wouldn't pay that much for one but I'd love to have either one of them back.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Mick and Mike - Thank you for your input!

You pretty much confirmed what I suspected; anything north of $500 is wishful thinking on the seller's part. I believe I will make an offer on the local one, and see what happens!

I'm well covered in the flat-top department with my Mid Missouri, but as everyone knows, MAS moves in strange ways. There is something awfully cool about those old Kalamazoo mandos, and I thought this might be a good opportunity to add one to the stable.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Update - Add this one to the "This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer" file.

The seller seemed a little irked at the suggestion that his instrument may be worth less than the asking price.

Thank you for your help guys.