Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: KR Strings Introduces the Mandolindo

Default Re: Article: KR Strings Introduces the Mandolindo

Quote Originally Posted by Andyesquire View Post
    Very intrigued. And I think this instrument definitely could be great in a gypsy jazz context. 2 questions for the cafe hive mind.

1. Why no truss rod in the neck?

2. How would one add a pickup to a Mandolindo?
    Aloha Andy,

Thanks for your feedback, I totally agree this would be a great gypsy jazz instrument. The ability to bend notes makes it really fun. To answer your questions, 1. These will have a double acting truss rod accessible through the sound hole with an allen wrench. 2. Any standard under saddle pickup will work, and adding a internal transducer such as a K&K is also no problem.

Thanks and feel free to get in touch at krstrings@gmail.com if you want to take a test drive, these will be arriving in June!

Best, -Kilin Reece

-"Less is Four."

Blog Entries

The one at Denver Folklore sold the first hour it was on there.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    The one at Denver Folklore sold the first hour it was on there.
    Elderly and Mandolin Store will be posting prototypes soon! Going fast....

Thanks!

Here is Justin Branum of https://masterfiddle.com/ tearing it up Western Swing style on the new Mandolindo!

https://youtu.be/fUhstUAsrNg

For more information please visit www.krstrings.com!

Aloha! -Kilin Reece

6. The following members say thank you to KR Strings for this post:

I am not sure I understand the difference between a Mandolindo and a baritone Uke strung in fifths, GDAE...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerchap2 View Post
    I am not sure I understand the difference between a Mandolindo and a baritone Uke strung in fifths, GDAE...
    mandolin scale length, four strings. Baritone Uke has a much longer scale, usually 19”.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by KR Strings View Post
    Here is Justin Branum of https://masterfiddle.com/ tearing it up Western Swing style on the new Mandolindo!

https://youtu.be/fUhstUAsrNg

For more information please visit www.krstrings.com!
    Aloha! -Kilin Reece
    Great sound from that instrument! That recording by Justin reminds me very much of the early recordings Les Paul was making when he was experimenting with his multi-tracking on guitar.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    mandolin scale length, four strings. Baritone Uke has a much longer scale, usually 19”.
    OK, then a soprano or concert uke. I am just not understanding how this instrument is different from a comparable scale length ukulele with four strings tuned to GDAE. They certainly look the same. There must be some difference that I am not understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

The baritone uke could be an octave version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerchap2 View Post
    OK, then a soprano or concert uke. I am just not understanding how this instrument is different from a comparable scale length ukulele with four strings tuned to GDAE. They certainly look the same. There must be some difference that I am not understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

The baritone uke could be an octave version.
    Uses mandolin (metal) strings so will sound different from a uke even tuned to GDAE. Nothing wrong with ukes and this may not be earth-shattering but it is somewhat different from what is out there. If you prefer the uke tuned to mandolin that is fine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Uses mandolin (metal) strings so will sound different from a uke even tuned to GDAE. Nothing wrong with ukes and this may not be earth-shattering but it is somewhat different from what is out there. If you prefer the uke tuned to mandolin that is fine.
    Thanks, that is helpful.

NFI. Just very impressed. Recently, I went to a picking party that was mostly all acoustic, outside, sitting in a circle, with about a dozen very good players from the ATL area. A wide variety of music styles was played. I noticed right away that the lady who usually plays violin was playing a different instrument, and she was playing beautiful sounding melodies on her breaks for every song no matter the style. She appeared to play softly, but her melodies could be heard clearly over several Martin guitars, 2 basses, a mandolin, an octave mandolin, a banjo, a flute, etc. The sound was very distinctive - not like a ukulele and not like a mandolin. Come to find out it was a mandolindo.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Interesting that the website has only a description of each model but no specifications. It would be useful to have the basic dimensions listed. Most other luthier sites have copious amounts of information regarding the specifications.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Doesn't practice enough

Elderly has the info you're looking for:
    https://www.elderly.com/products/kr-...39820931498175