Thread: Fiddler's Waltz

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Default Fiddler's Waltz

My original motive for taking up the mandolin was the tunes from Howdy Forrester’s Fancy Fiddlin’ Country Style album, that I had already transcribed on the guitar: High Level Hornpipe (key of Bb), Rutland’s Reel (am), Brilliancy (A), and Clarinet Polka (Bb). I wanted them in their proper octave, and without those frequent rather awkward string crossings.

One of the tunes that stumped me in parts was Fiddler’s Waltz (by Benny Martin, G), where the next-to-last section is a long stream of eighth notes with almost no symmetry or repeats. A while ago I decided to finally while still being able to play (I’m 76 years old) learn it in earnest, and found the missing section with the aid of some
    slow-down device on YouTube.

Yesterday, much to my surprise I found a complete transcription of this beautiful piece:
    https://tunearch.org/wiki/Fiddler%27s_Waltz_(1). I haven’t checked the last section (which is slower than the rest, but picks up speed towards the end) — seems in some places I’ve been playing the low part an octave higher, instead of the melody.

Try it, there are no real technical difficulties (although some of the experts on the Café will claim that I can’t play it, since I can’t sing it).

(The tune referred to as “Brilliancy” in this collection, is not the same Brilliancy that Forrester recorded, made up of parts from Trafalgar and Passaic Hornpipe. I believe there are complete transcriptions elsewhere on the Internet).

Default Re: Fiddler's Waltz

Thanks for the link to the notation, Ralph. A new tune to me and one with a lot of attractions.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Default Re: Fiddler's Waltz

Ralph, I sure love waltz tunes and this one is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the music. I’m gonna learn it.
    Best, Tim