Thread: Sell mando here or consignment with a retailer?

Default Sell mando here or consignment with a retailer?

Hi all,
    I'm going to sell my 2004 Gibson F5V and wanted to input as to the best method to sel it.
    Put it on here, or go through a retailer such as Elderly, Mandolinstore etc...
    Thanks!

Default Re: Sell mando here or consignment with a retailer?

Well if you don't live in Lansing you will have to pack it and ship it anyway. The cafe is a safe place to sell and instrument for only 2% of the sale price. I don't know what Elderly charges, but it would be more like 10-20%.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Default Re: Sell mando here or consignment with a retailer?

I have done both. The classifieds are a great way to sell if you are willing to do much of the work, negotiation, shipping and dealing with returns, etc. Those are issues, at this point in my life, I have no desire to deal with. I am fortunate to a have a very reputable shop to sell my instruments through, Carter Vintage, so that is the route I take. Remember, that there is a cost, for them do do all that grunt work and that is in Carter's case, 15% of the selling price. Some dealers charge as much as 20%. When dollars were a lot more tight, I sold through the Cafe. They really do there best to support both the seller and buyer.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172