Thread: New Ruhland F5's?

Default New Ruhland F5's?

Hi..I'm curious if anyone has received their new Ruhland F5 yet? I believe they were all shipped last Tues. Just a mando nerd hoping to hear how this new batch turned out
    Thanks to all..

Default Re: New Ruhland F5's?

I’m also curious about this. The pictures on his website of this newest batch were out of this world! I got an A coming up in the next one and can’t wait. Matt’s instruments somehow look like they might be getting even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Morsi View Post
    I’m also curious about this. The pictures on his website of this newest batch were out of this world! I got an A coming up in the next one and can’t wait. Matt’s instruments somehow look like they might be getting even better.
    They could be, as hard as it is to believe. He's a master. Set his own high bar early on.

Got my F. I asked for one a little on the dark side of tone - old growth sitka top - really, really nice. Beautiful workmanship! Wide nut - but yet a very fast neck!

5. The following members say thank you to ABmando for this post:

I also asked for one on the darker side. Mine’s gonna be made from wood from his Sullivan stash, both the Sitka and Maple. Did you have specific bracing to try and get that darker sound? Also the inlay work on this batch looks outstanding. Flower Pot or Fern?

There’s really something very special going on with Matt’s mandolins. I think his positive, kind, happy, genuine and personal vibe gets built into every one of his instruments and his mandolins are a joy to play. I have number 56 which is an A5.

Seems the Pacific Northwest is gifted with some wonderful builders (must be the stellar IPA out here!). Matt Ruhland, Andrew Mowry and Austin Clark. Mighty fine folks and amazing & dedicated builders.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Roberts For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all of the feedback folks! Jim, I didn't know you had a Ruhland, nice. We were "batch buddies it seems. I am the proud owner of an A5(#55) Punchy and powerful...
    Anyone willing to show a pic or a video?? Much appreciated.

I was lucky enough to get to stop by Matt's the day before he shipped this recent batch of F5s out. I played all five of them - and got to hear Matt play each one too - and they were all really fantastic instruments. The fit and finish gets better with every batch. His ability to customize the tone for players looking for a particular voice is pretty damn impressive. Matt's a friend and I own a fantastic Ruhland mandolin myself (#35) so take my comments with a grain of salt, but I feel that Matt has really hit his stride as a mandolin builder
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

I am waiting on #59. Matt is a super cool dude and was always quick to respond to any questions I pestered him with. Unfortunately the mandolin seems to be lost in the mail somewhere between Portland and Greg Boyd's(whom I purchased it through). Fingers crossed that it gets found sooner than later!

CJ Lewandowski says that he absolutely loves his and he is a true mandolin connoisseur if there ever was one.

Best of luck Harry, it's been a real bummer thinking about your new F5 lost in the USPS wilderness. Hopefully good news soon for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Clark View Post
    I am waiting on #59. Matt is a super cool dude and was always quick to respond to any questions I pestered him with. Unfortunately the mandolin seems to be lost in the mail somewhere between Portland and Greg Boyd's(whom I purchased it through). Fingers crossed that it gets found sooner than later!

CJ Lewandowski says that he absolutely loves his and he is a true mandolin connoisseur if there ever was one.
    Yikes, lost in the mail, the worst place to put your new mando!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Clark View Post

Any update on the lost Ruhland? Sure hope it has been located!
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

Nothing yet. Matt put a tracer on it. I have a buddy who ordered a banjo this past fall and it was lost in the mail so long that he gave up on it and bought another one. About a week later the first banjo showed up on his doorstep. It seems like this has been happening a lot lately.

https://youtu.be/FUnUcWnr5LU

I don't know this individual but his playing and his Ruhland(A5) sure sound nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    https://youtu.be/FUnUcWnr5LU

I don't know this individual but his playing and his Ruhland(A5) sure sound nice.
    That "individual" is Bob Minner. One of the best pickers around on any instrument with strings on it. Tim McGraw's long time guitar player. Sure makes that Ruhland sing!
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

And if I remember correctly, the mandolin is #50 and was on loan from Matt's brother.
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

Thanks Fellas..I was chatting with a friend about number 50 yesterday. I was certain the top was made out of engelmann because of how similar it sounded to Ruhland #26 which has master grade engelmann on top. Matt told me last night it actually has the Alaskan Sitka bridewood for the top and the reason it sounds so much like number 26 is based on using the same tall, thin bracing of the tonebars. I would have bet money it was engelmann. Nice to finally learn something Matt has been attempting to educate me on for awhile now
    It fascinates me how some folks believe tonebar placement and variations have very little to do with the sound/tone of an instrument. This example from #50 kinda blows my mind in regards to my own pre-conceptions about what makes a mando tick..

So after 3 anxious months #59 showed up at Greg Boyd's Saturday before last. He shipped it Tuesday and it arrived yesterday. Got in a few hours ago from Charleston and just now put it down. Matt really hit it out of the park with this thing. He really is doing something special. Can't wait to see how it develops over time.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Clark For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210509_201926_805.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	194075

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210509_200850.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	700.4 KB 
ID:	194076

Yes! That is great news Harry. Glad it is finally in good hands. Any story about where it actually ended up?

Not exactly sure just where all it went, but I do know it made its way down to Memphis for a while. Super happy it with me now!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Clark For This Useful Post: