Thread: Hands on with a Zeta acoustic mandolin

Default Hands on with a Zeta acoustic mandolin

had opportunity to "handle" a Zeta acoustic mandolin(not the version with the pickup built in) a few days ago. Only had an hour or less with it, but i was very impressed. Likewise very impressed with the very nice case(well made, mandolin fit snug inside and everything just said "well thought out" with the whole package.

pictures don't do it justice, i did these in my shop, and did them quickly. Case has a large heavy duty zipper, two outside storage pockets, nice compartment inside(11.5" x3.5"x 4"), and the mandolin slides down into a well designed "pocket" that holds it so there is no movement. Nice carry handle on the outside and two "backpack" straps. Case with mandolin weight 8.8 lbs(mandolin weight 2 lbs). outside dimensions of the case were 31.5" x 12" x 5.5". i would be happy to just own the case, i really liked it. i would feel totally safe with any mandolin inside, and throwing it down a 20 flight staircase-not just a push, but throw the thing, let some cartwheels happen.

The Zeta felt light in the hand, think Collings MT light. Neck profile was what i would call soft V that did not feel thick in the shoulders or that gained too much depth as it travelled towards the heel. I was feeling Weber/Gibson shape like. A true speed neck comes with this model and it felt dry and slick-the burst style finish at the speedneck looked very nice. everything was tight and clean(workmanship). I have always used Collings as my "gauge" for precise workmanship, and this Zeta stood side by side to any Collings i've owned. Finish was very nice and i've always been drawn to the headstock inlay. In person that inlay is very well done and looks even more cool.

Frets were excellent. neck was straight with very little, if any, relief dialed in(owner had not touched it or changed it). beautiful engraved James tailpiece. Nut was well shaped and slots cut as good as it gets. And i totally forgot to measure nut width, but i feel pretty sure it was 1 1/8". string courses were cut clean and spot on with regards to spacing.

i didn't measure due to lack of time, but i "felt" like the fretboard had a compound radius, very close to what i feel when i have a Collings in hand. I did not check specs regarding this, just going on feel.

Bridge/saddle were well made and the adjustment was from the top using a supplied allen wrench. Adjustments easily made under full string tension.

Tone was balanced thru the string courses, the mids really stood out on this one, trebles very present but not harsh.

overall thought: very well made mandolin and case, felt very nice in the hand, coming in under $3000 it offers a lot of bang for the buck and toes the line with some high quality A style mandolins in that price range. Its right there with Collings , Pava, and Weber. It has everything you need to grab and go. Everything has been well thought out to perform and work from the getgo. Adjust the saddle height, relief if necessary, and thats it. oh yea, inside label with serial number and ink signed Steve Carlson

came with nice quality truss rod tool, saddle height adjustment allen wrench, and double sided screwdriver that fits in the handle of the saddle height tool, speed neck treatment, info sheet on the mandolin, warranty card. the tools felt "quality" and fit exact, not cheapo metal and poor fit. i did remove the truss rod cover(i always do just to inspect it). the truss rod tool fit exact, the truss rod worked smooth and precise, TR pocket was easy access with the tool, both TR cover screws fit tight and were screwed in straight.

again, sorry for the pictures, but i had limited time. Oh yea, lots of very pretty flamed wood.

Sounded really nice, played very easy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_211627_resized.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	260.8 KB 
ID:	192677

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_211643_resized.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	192678

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_211700_resized.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	192679

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_211707_resized.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	192680

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_211856_resized.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	192681

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_211902_resized.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	192682

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_211955_resized.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	192683

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212334_resized.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	192684

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212458_resized.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	192685

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212510_resized.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	268.9 KB 
ID:	192686

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212529_resized.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	192687

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212534_resized.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	192688

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212547_resized.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	192689

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212618_resized.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	192690

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212625_resized.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	192691

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212643_resized.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	192692

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212701_resized.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	192693

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212707_resized.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	192694

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212738_resized.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	192695

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212819_resized.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	192696
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Mar-09-2021 at 11:46pm.

2. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Default Re: Hands on with a Zeta acoustic mandolin

a few more

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_212835_resized.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	192697

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_213230_resized.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	192698

Name:	thumbnail_20210304_213300_resized.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	192699

Daryl: Those pictures (and others) look like a drool-worthy mandolin. Did you have a chance to play it plugged in or did you record any audio/video? These are intriguing instruments.

5. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

So many mandolin and guitar cases never seem to consider the fact that there will possibly be a strap permanently on the instrument. Don't know what that one is like but there looks room at the headstock if you take it off the end pin but I've often thought that the strap is not thought of.

I once had a 1984 Flatiron Artist F5 signed by Steve Carlson. Much admired mandolin and I played it for 4 or 5 years.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmy powells For This Useful Post:

I count on Daryl to serve as one of our "Guide Scouts" here at the Cafe. He's always out ahead looking at the terrain, trying to identify whatever is ahead. I have twice now sought out instruments based on his "reports." Nice job describing the Zeta and with the photos. You've answered a fair number of the things I've wondered about every time I saw a Zeta mentioned here. Hope you are well!
    Russ
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

9. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

You don’t show a picture of the screw on plastic plate on the back of the neck joint. I’m curious about this, even Zeta doesn’t really explain it. They say it’s a bolt on neck. Is the cover to access the bolt so that the neck can be reset or the angle adjusted? If so it’s a great idea.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

11. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Thanks for all info. Mandolin looks nice and I think the electronics really set it apart.

Not in the market for a mandolin but.....that case though. Looks like the Calton of Travelites (If that makes any sense). I would think there would be a market for the case.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

13. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

I am not impressed by the case. It may be very protective but to my eyes it does not look like a “hard case”. More like a glorified gig bag. In their specs they call it a soft/hard case. Or is it a hard/soft case? In any event I would not be throwing it down the stairs.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

15. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

They sound great to me. Thanks.

17. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I am not impressed by the case. It may be very protective but to my eyes it does not look like a “hard case”. More like a glorified gig bag. In their specs they call it a soft/hard case. Or is it a hard/soft case? In any event I would not be throwing it down the stairs.
    Just asking, what cases do you throw down the stairs? Your experience would be invaluable.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

19. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Just asking, what cases do you throw down the stairs? Your experience would be invaluable.
    It's what they call a staircase...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

You don’t show a picture of the screw on plastic plate on the back of the neck joint. I’m curious about this, even Zeta doesn’t really explain it. They say it’s a bolt on neck. Is the cover to access the bolt so that the neck can be reset or the angle adjusted? If so it’s a great idea.
    i didn't have a lot of time with it so i looked at the plate and moved on. the recess and fit were excellent, really didn't draw my attention, so thats a plus. if i'd had it over night or a day or three, heck yea i would have removed the plate and taken a picture.

around a year ago i had a new model Martin SC13e guitar run thru my hands to do a look over/set up that was going to be a special gift to a very special young lady graduating high school. This model was brand new at the Namm show for 2019(i think). the purchaser had it shipped straight to me from the shop, it arrived with a cracked neck. i emailed the shop and they told me they'd get back as the model was just hitting the streets and it has a bolt on neck(imagine a Fender electric style neck). Of course i could not, nor would i not, resist the moment to totally disassemble this new model and see what it was all about. I told real time photos and posted a thread on the AGF. it was fun, and i enjoyed the architecture of the guitar. I put it back together and the cracked area went back smooth so i played it all weekend. Martin decided to ship a new neck overnite to the shop and they had me return the guitar to the shop to officially do the 10 minute neck replacement. I ended up being introduced via email, to one of the main designers of that guitar and we had a few excellent emails. I was, and still am, highly impressed with that guitar.
    Of course, some of the management at Martin were not exactly pleased that the world had been introduced with the full breakdown of the brand new model,as some of the Martin dealers still had not received one or had training in the disassembly(my take on it-and i could be in error). I took torque measurements as i removed certain bolts as some pieces are set with specific torque settings. One of these days i would like to have one of these, it was a players dream machine in a guitar. Truly played with action as easy as an electric, fit well and balanced amazingly well. 4 lbs. Oh, came in a very nice "hard" softcase. I carry everything in these more modern type "gigbags", because i like the lighter weight and ease of transport(shouldering a single backpack type sling and having hands free). Soft and true hard cases have a place, to whomever wants or needs such.

Taylor came out with an improved "hard" softcase last year as well(very similar to the one that the SC13e comes with), here's a funny video, especially at 1:22. The guy in the truck should have been going faster and rammed it to send it flying, i have no doubts it would have been fine.
    enjoy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7wLpgVL0N4&t=55s

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    Daryl: Those pictures (and others) look like a drool-worthy mandolin. Did you have a chance to play it plugged in or did you record any audio/video? These are intriguing instruments.
    John
    These are offered with and without the pickup, this was the total acoustic version. owner had been looking around at Collings MT's, Pava A's, Northfield A's, but happened on one of these. It was right beside all these with regards to quality , build, tone, looks.

d

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    So many mandolin and guitar cases never seem to consider the fact that there will possibly be a strap permanently on the instrument. Don't know what that one is like but there looks room at the headstock if you take it off the end pin but I've often thought that the strap is not thought of.

I once had a 1984 Flatiron Artist F5 signed by Steve Carlson. Much admired mandolin and I played it for 4 or 5 years.
    I totally agree Jimmy. Its aggravating to have a case you love and issues due to the strap. Its a simple matter, but i don't like taking a strap off and on, if its on, i like it to stay that way. Although i didn't think of that, but if i had i would have put a strap on and tried it out. Having had the case in hand, i do believe it would easily allow a strap to stay on and not interfere with closing. There is definitely room at the endpin region as the mando slides down into that pocket that holds the body, and the strap could be laid out along on top of the area in the direction of the case compartment. The case top would allow that. This is not a flimsy case, everything is fitted and firm, the layout inside is well thought out and has so much to offer a musician. I would think this is the same case used for the Zeta violins, probably just a pattern change interior to support the mandolin shape better-i don't know that for fact, but figured it was such after i saw how much thought and design perfection had been done with the whole package.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    Thanks for all info. Mandolin looks nice and I think the electronics really set it apart.

Not in the market for a mandolin but.....that case though. Looks like the Calton of Travelites (If that makes any sense). I would think there would be a market for the case.
    i totally agree on all points, and ironically had the same thought when i slide the case out of the box and unzipped it. Travelite on steroids for sure, and then some. I've had a few travelites come with trades and such and they serve a purpose and do it well, this does the same, but oozes class, thought, protection, and everything just fit and worked so well. As you can tell, the case impressed as much as the mandolin. I also had the same thought that some folks who like this sort of "hard" softcase would buy one of these in a blink if they had opportunity to handle it and feel no slip of the mandolin(shake it, nothing moves, shake it hard).

to each his/her own, and thats how it should be. i will say, with many years experience, the new age of softshell bags(glorified gigbags) have improved immensely vs what a gigbag used to be. i'm not into the profession of design and testing of such bags, but thru the years of setting up/repair of different instruments, i've yet to have anyone bring in an injured instrument due to one of the newer designed softcase bags(think ReunionBlues, Mono, etc). Almost every semi and pro player that i work with, use these bags. I totally agree a hardcase has a place and time for use, but some folks like to be able to shoulder a bag and go, slide it in a car with ease, and reduced weight when being carried. there has to be a different shock value/rating when such a bag is dropped vs a hardcase, and i think thats another area the new style bags work well with.

i've never known anyone that intentionally threw an instrument down stairs, but i do know a hand full that accidently dropped them and they cartwheeled down a flight or two of stairs. some of the drops ended with injury, some didn't. having had hands on with this softshell hard bag, i stand firmly with the opinion to kick it off a step and let it head down 10-15-20 steps, and your mandolin or violin will be fine.
    i could be wrong and i could be right-lol, such is life
    do what serves you
    thx for your comments, thoughts and participation in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    priceless

Just to set the record straight, it wasn’t me who first suggested throwing a case down a staircase. It was the OP in post #1.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

An observation from playing one extensively at the NAMM Show, then having in-house for a month or more to test out and provide feedback to Steve. There is no equal I know of in terms of what's going on here in amplification. I can't speak for anyone else, but I prefer a mandolin that's amplified to still sound like a mandolin instead of much of what goes on at live shows. ZETA can say it achieves that with virtually no chance of feedback. I did this test at the show and at home. Dial the volume to 11 and stand right in front of the amp/speakers and it sounds like an acoustic, no hint of feedback. For techs, I can't imagine how much easier any kind of instrument care could be. Although I didn't do this myself, it can be taken apart quickly for tweaks, repairs, etc. The kind of stuff I pay people to do. Ideal for a heavy touring act, in particular for someone competing with electrics, drums, etc.

And of course everyone is entitled to an opinion on cases. I thought it was great. If I was on tour and this was in the back of a semi or some kind of trailer driving untold hours per day I'd invest in a flight case, Calton, Hoffee, etc. If you're someone that does most of your gigs 5 miles from your house and it rides in the back up your car (me), it's fine. YMMV. And, because most of the people building these are the same people that built Flatirons and Gibsons for years under Steve's watch, the attention to quality and build is without question to my mind.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Touché!
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

32. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Thanks Daryl for the thoughtful review. Hope you have the opportunity to try out one of our A/E models sometime.

"I would think this is the same case used for the Zeta violins, probably just a pattern change interior to support the mandolin shape better-i don't know that for fact, but figured it was such after i saw how much thought and design perfection had been done with the whole package."

All of our ZETA cases; violin, viola, cello, bass and mandolin, are designed around the same format . . . ie same cohesive concept . . . visual format, functionality, room and protection. Because amplified and performance is the starting point . . . there is plenty of room for cords, DI, batteries, wireless, etc . . . and includes room for a strap as well. Because a violin is a violin which is a violin . . . early ZETA and ZETA instruments suffered (in my opinion) by using 'off the shelf' violin cases . . . well . . . because they almost fit. In the 'old' days, cases were an afterthought. Early on, 2012, my thought was a picture of all our ZETA's with their cases in background . . . a cohesive divergence from the old ZETA. We finally accomplished that with the bass case and now the mandolin case completed. I just haven't taken the picture yet.

One IMPORTANT note . . . this is far cry from a road or flight case. It is not intended as such, does not function as such and the instrument is not likely to fair very well if subjected to out of the ordinary . . . aaaah·h·h·hh . . . testing.

Basically, think functionality . . . and everyday wear and tear. We're closing the gap on 1,000 ZETA's shipped now (since 2014). Three have been damaged in route. One violin had a forklift rammed through it, one cello suffered a snapped peghead . . . before we added the peghead support to prevent that sort of 'whiplash' (our mando case has that support as well), and one acoustic violin had a cracked top from no doubt a severe drop, toss or blow.

Proper vernacular 'hard/soft' or 'soft/hard' . . . no idea.

Steve
    ZETA

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Carlson For This Useful Post:

Thank you Daryl for your thoughtful review. I truly value the 'expert opinions' we get here on the Mandolin Cafe.

I've very happily been playing my Collings MT for a number of years and have pretty much been cured of MAS in regards to my #1.
    BUT after hearing such positive words, and good sound clips, I'm really fascinated with the acoustic/electric Strados pickups on the Zeta mandolins.
    It seems like going electric is the bane of the mandolinist's existence. Microphones are the best choice for sound, but can be a problem at noisy gigs. Piezo pickups are much more stable, but you sacrifice a lot in the tone department. The pickups engineered for the Zeta Stage mandos sound like the best possible solution for someone like me, and I would love to add one to my collection.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold