Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Music Store Etiquette

Default Re: Music Store Etiquette

I love playing in a jam situation and no that's not the time and place to say wait while I pull out my sheet music. Kick back and enjoy the moment and the friends you are with. If you know the tune fine, otherwise just strum along. Play a lead if you're up to it!
    whoever is calling out the tune should at least let everyone else know the key you're playing in. Not too much to ask. I try to also say the time (4/4 or 3/4 or 6/8).
    IMHO you can learn a great amount listening by ear. Certain things you hear on a recording just don't translate to notation. However.. There are no known recordings of O'Carrolan from the early 1700's. Only the notation will open that window. Use every resource you already have!
    Great to have you and your enthusiasm on board! Enjoy and keep us updated on your journey!
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

2. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

I agree with Bob (Post 75), but don't think anyone was suggesting that a person abandon reading. I wish I read and wrote music better. However, what's written on paper is not really "music" but musical notation. Music is the sound experience. In the genres that sblock listed in Post 61, "folk/pop/bluegrass/blues/jazz/old-time/Celtic/Americana music," tunes are seldom fixed and, when playing with others, we have to adjust to how they approach the tune. With a great many traditional styles, Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island fiddling being two I know well, you'll never learn the musicians' timing or notation from what's on paper. It's essential to listen and imitate. In these styles, and many others, neither notation nor timing fits properly onto the sheet music. David Greenberg and Ken Perlman, who are highly sophisticated musicians, have both addressed these issues in depth.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    I agree with Bob (Post 75), but don't think anyone was suggesting that a person abandon reading. I wish I read and wrote music better. However, what's written on paper is not really "music" but musical notation. Music is the sound experience. In the genres that sblock listed in Post 61, "folk/pop/bluegrass/blues/jazz/old-time/Celtic/Americana music," tunes are seldom fixed and, when playing with others, we have to adjust to how they approach the tune. With a great many traditional styles, Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island fiddling being two I know well, you'll never learn the musicians' timing or notation from what's on paper. It's essential to listen and imitate. In these styles, and many others, neither notation nor timing fits properly onto the sheet music. David Greenberg and Ken Perlman, who are highly sophisticated musicians, have both addressed these issues in depth.
    Ranald, I got a sense of what you're saying at the jam I attended on Friday. Lots of body language involved. I would have been happy to put my instrument away and just listen.

5. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Ranald 

Sherry, you really do have some of my favorite threads. This one was super helpful to me since I’ve never in my life walked into a music store and picked up an instrument. They don’t exactly let you try out harmonicas and put them back on a rack . And now that I’m hooked on mandolin I absolutely want to try as many instruments as I can whenever I get near somewhere with a real music store. (Not happening soon I’m afraid.)

To briefly continue the tangent you started earlier, if I don’t know what key is being played I just grab a harmonica of my best guess and softly play a one draw and blow and I can tell what key the song is in... if it’s an unusual key it might take a second or third harp to dial it in . If all I have handy is the mandolin a soft strum of some common chords will usually tell me or else I’ll give up and plink some notes on the E string

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    Sherry, you really do have some of my favorite threads. This one was super helpful to me since I’ve never in my life walked into a music store and picked up an instrument. They don’t exactly let you try out harmonicas and put them back on a rack . And now that I’m hooked on mandolin I absolutely want to try as many instruments as I can whenever I get near somewhere with a real music store. (Not happening soon I’m afraid.)

To briefly continue the tangent you started earlier, if I don’t know what key is being played I just grab a harmonica of my best guess and softly play a one draw and blow and I can tell what key the song is in... if it’s an unusual key it might take a second or third harp to dial it in . If all I have handy is the mandolin a soft strum of some common chords will usually tell me or else I’ll give up and plink some notes on the E string
    Don, glad you're enjoying the threads I've started. I suspect they'll now be headed in a different direction. Some changes in my approach to music lie ahead.

Unless those unnamed keys are C, D, G or A, I'll never find them. One of the differences between you and me. V

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    After collecting all this information, I should post that I've just bought an instrument from the classifieds. I could go into how I came to that decision, but, basically, it is the result of some good stuff posted in various threads and in the Newbies social group. Wish me luck that it's the right thing.
    Congrats on the mandolin! Looking forward to hearing what you're thoughts are on it as you get to know it!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

What it sounds like in the store, whether it be a quiet tuned room or a noisy open store will always be different that what it sounds like at home. I try to find a wall to have it project back to me.

Set realistic expectations there. Know what you are looking for, and be open to the feel of the instrument. That will be the connection that is easiest to gauge.

There are many reasons that so many players have so many instruments. There are a lot of good instruments out there. Put the clunkers down quickly and move on.

10. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Congrats on the mandolin! Looking forward to hearing what you're thoughts are on it as you get to know it!
    Jill, I'll start a thread!

12. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Of course you will. I expect no less! Hope it works out and is all you hope it will be.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

14. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Sherry - congrats on your mandolin, just a thought on fiddle to mandolin. There may be violin pieces that you know by ear, but you don't know you know them ('unknown unknowns...' ) Although I haven't done violin exercises for years (admission!) I found I still know Kreutzer Study #2 (which appears in at least one mandolin method) by ear, because I played it to death for a violin teacher when I was 14. It's the one that 1/2 of a page long, that you repeat with 25 different bowings. If I play that slowly without thinking about the notes, it enables me to concentrate on the sound the mandolin makes. It's interesting that it seems like you can put your finger behind a mandolin fret and play the right note without the string buzzing, but exactly how you do it (as least for me) affects the quality of tone you get out. I never saw that info in a steel string guitar method book, those I have say things like 'if it doesn't buzz you're good'. Well, seems like that's not enough

25 different bowings. Who knew that was even possible!

How is the Weber treating you Sherry?
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

How is the Weber treating you Sherry?
    Loving it, Jill! I have to be careful not to spend too much time with it, so as to keep the peace on the home front, though. I'll post a video soon. Not sure which thread, though!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sherry Cadenhead For This Useful Post:

Loving it, Jill! I have to be careful not to spend too much time with it, so as to keep the peace on the home front, though. I'll post a video soon. Not sure which thread, though!
    Great news, glad to hear it worked out well!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

21. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Jill, I've posted some stuff, including a video, in the Newbies social group. Subject is something like "a deal on a Weber "

23. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Beautiful mandolin! Play it in good health.

25. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Very nice sounding mandolin and playing! May be a keeper?
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haywood View Post
    Very nice sounding mandolin and playing! May be a keeper?
    I believe it is!

28. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Jill, I've posted some stuff, including a video, in the Newbies social group. Subject is something like "a deal on a Weber "
    Sounds lovely Sherry - has that sweet Weber tone that I remember from the Weber oval hole mandolins I've had. Enjoy that thing!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

30. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Glad to hear this tale of adventure (and acquisition) has come to a happy ending. I would bet a lot of us were enjoying Sherry's excitement!

Happy Playing, Sherry!
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

32. The following members say thank you to trodgers for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trodgers View Post
    I would bet a lot of us were enjoying Sherry's excitement!
    I know I was, up to a point. Then I got to thinking about my own situation, and the excitement of finding a new and wonderful instrument, and all that entails and enables. Then I found myself actively seeking and acquiring such an instrument, which I could just about afford. Argghhh! I want to blame Sherry, though I know it's my own fault.

Darn that MAS! Just when I thought I was out ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

34. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I know I was, up to a point. Then I got to thinking about my own situation, and the excitement of finding a new and wonderful instrument, and all that entails and enables. Then I found myself actively seeking and acquiring such an instrument, which I could just about afford. Argghhh! I want to blame Sherry, though I know it's my own fault.

Darn that MAS! Just when I thought I was out ...

It's OK, Steve (right?). I have strong shoulders and will gladly take the blame - since you're benefitting by a wonderful addition to your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by trodgers View Post
    Glad to hear this tale of adventure (and acquisition) has come to a happy ending. I would bet a lot of us were enjoying Sherry's excitement!

Happy Playing, Sherry!
    T, thanks for this. I suspect many have been rolling their eyes, however. That happens when I post, then think afterwards. Lol

37. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Blog Entries

I have strong shoulders and will gladly take the blame
    Oh no, never. I said I wanted to blame you, but I don't. I know good and well it's nobody's fault but mine.

39. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

I mean, whatever the germination of an idea, however and by whomever it is nourished, takes root, and thrives in one's imagination, acting upon it is the province of the gardener of this notion. Discussion may lead to understanding, and understanding to action, but the understanding derived from discussion, and the decision to act, are the actor's alone.