Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

Default Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

Latest update....
    I decided I wasn’t ready, not yet smart enough; that there were to many uncertainties about what I would, or would not like when it comes to neck profiles, to spend the kind of money required to buy a Pava, Collins, or other custom build. SO, after having an opportunity to purchase a used Eastman MD-815V. It’s a neck profile that matches the Eastmans I’m familiar with (and like)..It’s a nice upgrade, and can be used as a stepping stone as I continue to get smarter, and continue my mandolin adventure. Not exactly the expected outcome when I ask for advice and input, but I think the best move. Thanks again for all the help through this process..Play on..

2. The following members say thank you to Mac56 for this post:

Don't overlook the scale. Standard is 14" but I have seen several that were 13 3/4".

4. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

Mac56 

Quote Originally Posted by Mac56 View Post
    Latest update....
    I decided I wasn’t ready, not yet smart enough; that there were to many uncertainties about what I would, or would not like when it comes to neck profiles, to spend the kind of money required to buy a Pava, Collins, or other custom build. SO, after having an opportunity to purchase a used Eastman MD-815V. It’s a neck profile that matches the Eastmans I’m familiar with (and like)..It’s a nice upgrade, and can be used as a stepping stone as I continue to get smarter, and continue my mandolin adventure. Not exactly the expected outcome when I ask for advice and input, but I think the best move. Thanks again for all the help through this process..Play on..
    Nothing wrong with deciding on that path. Do what works for you and don't worry about what the rest of us say. For short periods I can play about any neck shape. But once it gets down to playing for long periods of time then my hand has definite preferences.

FWIW, I know it's not on your list, and it's a cut below a Pava, but maybe try a Northfield before buying the next one. The neck might be closer to the Eastman than some others. But it's also me talking as a "fan boy" since I'm still in the honeymoon stage of getting mine.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

6. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Mac56 

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Nothing wrong with deciding on that path. Do what works for you and don't worry about what the rest of us say. For short periods I can play about any neck shape. But once it gets down to playing for long periods of time then my hand has definite preferences.

FWIW, I know it's not on your list, and it's a cut below a Pava, but maybe try a Northfield before buying the next one. The neck might be closer to the Eastman than some others. But it's also me talking as a "fan boy" since I'm still in the honeymoon stage of getting mine.

Um.. More I thought about what you said, the more interesting it became.. Northfield... I’ve never had any experience or exposure to Northfield. Especially your comment about the neck profile being similar to Eastman.. That’s really important to me, and the reason I purchased the 815V. Looking at the different mandolins you have, I would appreciate how you view it compared to the Collins, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Mac56 View Post
    Um.. More I thought about what you said, the more interesting it became.. Northfield... I’ve never had any experience or exposure to Northfield. Especially your comment about the neck profile being similar to Eastman.. That’s really important to me, and the reason I purchased the 815V. Looking at the different mandolins you have, I would appreciate how you view it compared to the Collins, etc..
    Well, I'll need more time to fairly judge the Northfield. Right now am still in the honeymoon phase where it's all I'm playing. However, let's just say that it is as much a professional level mandolin as either the Collings or Weber. The neck profile is the closest of the three to an Eastman, IMO. With the Weber being a bit fuller and the Collings being more of a V shape.

I might recommend checking out Northfield's website and videos associated with it (or just search Northfield mandolin on YouTube). That way you can get an idea of the sound of the instruments.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

9. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Mac56 

Just my experience- I’ve played several lower end Eastman mandolins and they all had soft V necks that felt comfy. Then my buddy bought an Eastman 815v so I had the chance to play it a few times, and the neck felt way different than other Eastmans I’ve played- very sharp V neck that literally came to a point. Not my cup of tea. And neither was the sound. No lows at all, with very bright, thin treble strings. He ended up with a Pava A5, which is a killer mandolin. To me, the neck is a true soft V, maybe with a little more meat in the shoulders than a few Northfields I’ve played. I also prefer it’s tone to the many Collings MT’s I’ve played. Darker and richer.
    Good luck in your search!

Thanks Mandosurf,
    I appreciate your comments and insight. I’m wondering just how much variation exist between Eastman mandolins, even of the same models. I was very surprised to see the differences (although minor) between the 505 and 415. My recently acquired 815V has an almost identical neck profile measurements to the 415. All three Eastmans have uniquely different voices, but are definitely cousins. The 415 plays and sounds much better than it should, based on what it is. The 415 has a darker, warm, more fundamental, sound to my ear. Sometimes I think dry, other times not so much. The 505 is richer harmonically and I think the 505 has a more modern sound...maybe? I’m still learning and analyzing the 815v. It definitely has a sharper, more punchy attack, but as I’m still working on setup, and the verdict is still out. I’m so looking forward to being able to get out and try some of these “grown up” mandolins in person. I must say I’m at that stage, that I really enjoying reading, and learning all I can about the different mandolins out there. I especially appreciate reading all the different opinions and experiences from the members here in the forum. So much to learn and so little time..

Note to self; Collings, not Collins.... Collings, not Collins.... Collings, not Collins....
    It’s a long story, old habits are hard to break..lol!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    On the Pava website they list the neck profile specs, so you should get an idea.

https://pavamandolins.com/models/a5/

An Ellis has a V shaped neck, the Pava more of a rounded V or U shaped. I think the Pava neck is very comfortable. It is not to thick or to thin and the playability when set up properly is great. You might let folks know your location. This is a great community and if someone close has a Pava they might let you give it a try.
    Northwest Steve (Hi, Steve!) has described the Pava neck, perfectly. I couldn't be happier with the neck shape. Just as described above.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

14. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Mac56