Thread: Michael Cleveland on Mandolin

Default Michael Cleveland on Mandolin

2. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

Default Re: Michael Cleveland on Mandolin

Michael Cleveland is a great musician and has been since he was a mere kid. The F style mandolin he is with in these photos is a Gilchrist that was made in 1995. It was built for me just the way I wanted it to be. It was the first time I would have an instrument custom made for me. It is an incredible mandolin. In 1998 I had the first two of my spinal surgeries. For some reason the doctors and hospitals want their money. I found I needed to sell it, and I did to Aubrey Haney. He is an incredible musician and mandolin player. When I was in a position to get it back, I asked Aubrey if he knew who had it. He didn’t, but said the last he heard it was someone in California. I asked a few friends to keep their eyes open for it. Months later Aubrey called and said he knew who had it and the guy had two of them. Michael was a cool guy and I called a couple times and said I would like to buy it back if he would sell it. We never hooked up until SPBGMA came around. We got together and I told him about my mandolin and what it meant to me. He said, well, yeah. He might sell it. He opened a case and pulled a mandolin out. I could not see it until he handed it to me to check it out. It was not my mandolin. He said he had another that he would never sell. I asked if I could look at it. He kindly pulled it out and handed it to me. This was my mandolin. I had not seen it in8 or 10 years, but there was no mistaking that mandolin. I offered a good chunk more than its marker value. He was not about to sell it. I was a little heartbroken and thought about the search and the excitement of finding it so close to my home. I thanked Michael for allowing me to hold it once more. Seeing the photos today made me glad that if I would not have it, someone who loved it would. He certainly kept his word, and I think he deserves it more than me. Sometimes the story behind the story is better than the story itself. I will have that mandolin and its appearance and it’s tone implanted in my heart for the remaining days of my life. It was a great mandolin when I got it and it still is today.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Big Joe For This Useful Post:

Touching story, Joe. Can I ask what is the serial # of that one? I own 419, from around the same time.

Heard him with ‘Keepers at a festival. Amazing fiddler and I always wondered if he played mandolin. Fabulous, thanks for posting.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Michael and Nathan Livers played a blazing duet a couple of years ago at the Stevenson Wa festival. I was surprised the instruments didn’t burst in flame
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I’m sorry Alan. I don’t recall the serial number any more. I remember it started with 95 for the year it was built. I used to know it, but that was too long ago. I have never played one of his that was not great.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

12. The following members say thank you to Dave_W for this post:

One year Michael Cleveland and band was in the room right across from mine at IBMA in Louisville. Every time I left my room, I would poke my head in and listen as they always had the door open. Michael seemed to play a different instrument every time I looked in and could play every one with skill. I am sure I did not see him play standing bass as he always seems to sit in the same chair. The whole band and Michael seemed to be having a great time playing and the skill to keep me locked in. I think I was late for every event that weekend.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172