Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northfield Mandolins

Default Re: Northfield Mandolins

This is a great thread! I'll chime in as another NF-5S owner. Ever since I first heard about Northfield, the finish on all their instruments immediately drew me in. The first ding bothered me but after the second or third, I didn't care anymore. At this point its covered in battle scars (cosmetic only) and it looks awesome. Almost like an old Gibson thats seen some action, and I think part of that cool look is due to the finish. It is a thin finish, but very nice feeling. I wouldn't have it any other way; in terms of both sound and looks.

That's awesome to hear. I'd love to own an A5. Those things seem to be amazing instruments (as do all of the Northfield's)
    Zachary Graft
    Celtic and Christian fiddle and mandolin music
    zacharygraft.com
    facebook.com/zacharygraftmusic
    youtube.com/c/zacharygraft

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beale View Post
    My experience with the finish has been very positive. So far, I haven’t caused any visible wear, scuffs, or scrapes. That being said it is a thin finish and I suspect less durable than lacquer. In time I suspect I will inflict a scar or two and hope to keep playing often enough and for long enough to gently wear away portions of the finish.

Somewhere on YouTube their is a conversation between Adrian at Northfield and Mike Marshall where Adrian comments on the finish as having been formulated for its acoustic properties first and foremost. I think we have grown accustomed to finishes that prioritize durability over the acoustic quality of the instrument, and from my understanding that is not the approach at Northfield.

The tone, volume, and sustain on my Northfield A5 Special inspires me everyday. I wouldn’t trade any of that for a more durable finish.
    Aaron, I'm sure you're right and I appreciate your posts. Everything I have seen about this finish is exactly as you describe. I've seen some really durable finishes on lower priced mandolins that sounded terrible-perhaps in large measure due to the finish. Enjoy your and may it continue to inspire you!

I have owned a Northfield Flat top octave mandolin for a little over a year now, it is a wonderful instrument if I would just make more time to play it!

I also just recently purchased a 4th Gen F5, #21 which is a really awesome mandolin! The tone all across and up the neck is just really amazing.
    I had been communicating with Derek for quite a few months waiting for the right one to be ready and it has not disappointed.

Anyone that has taken the time to do some research on how the company works will understand that it is far from your stereotypical Chinese manufacturing situation that many folks probably tend to imagine. I was fortunate to be educated quite a bit on that by Adrian himself at Swannanoa a couple of years ago.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85