Thread: What is a 12-15 Year Old Eastman MD-915 Worth?

Default What is a 12-15 Year Old Eastman MD-915 Worth?

I have an Eastman MD-915 that is about 12-15 years old with mojo. I bought it from it's original owner about 4 years ago who unfortunately could no longer play mandolin. It was his primary mandolin. After playing it for a while, I realize it is not for me and it tends to sit there. I also have a Kentucky KM-272 and like the feel of it better. I think it's the neck and the balance I prefer. So, I'm going to put the Eastman up for sale but have no idea what it's worth at this point in time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. (Not sure why pics loaded sideways.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80B9AFAC-B7FA-4673-AFEE-3E6EC1DA2F33.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	793.5 KB 
ID:	192074

Name:	52CE6DA6-D3BD-44A0-8D36-1034E69B198D.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	836.3 KB 
ID:	192075

Default Re: What is a 12-15 Year Old Eastman MD-915 Worth?

I paid £1970.00 for mine in 2014 if I wanted to sell it I'd let it go for £1500

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanna Lovecchio View Post
    I have an Eastman MD-915 that is about 12-15 years old with mojo. I bought it from it's original owner about 4 years ago who unfortunately could no longer play mandolin. It was his primary mandolin. After playing it for a while, I realize it is not for me and it tends to sit there. I also have a Kentucky KM-272 and like the feel of it better. I think it's the neck and the balance I prefer. So, I'm going to put the Eastman up for sale but have no idea what it's worth at this point in time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not much to me as I had one and it sucked !

Using the general rule of thumb that a used instrument should be priced at about two-thirds the cost of a new model, $1,735. I think the assumption among many players is that the higher end Eastmans are not necessarily better than the mid-priced ones, so you might struggle to get that much. There are a lot of nice options in that general price range.

6. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Thank you. At least this gives me a starting point to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Not much to me as I had one and it sucked !
    Really?! Is that truly necessary? I’m looking for constructive advice.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rosanna Lovecchio For This Useful Post:

Really?! Is that truly necessary? I’m looking for constructive advice.
    First hand factual information is not "constructive advice"

I found that boldly honest and it mirrors my observations.

A rule of thumb pricing for factory /production shop instruments ( such as Martin, Gibson, Taylor/ Kentucky, Eastman etc is 1/2 of original retail plus $100. Adjust from there.

Jeez, she asked for an estimated price, not opinions on its quality.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric F. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    Jeez, she asked for an estimated price, not opinions on its quality.
    Thank you Eric for the support. It’s comments like the above that make me hesitant to post or ask for help. I’ll stay in the shadows and let the experts do their thing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosanna Lovecchio For This Useful Post:

The vast majority of people on this board are kind and welcoming. Sometimes we all slip up, though. Maybe the prolonged deep freeze is getting to us all. I think there's more to be gained from posting than from lurking, and I hope you'll keep that in mind. BTW, I own a KM-272 also. While I own more expensive instruments, I find myself playing the Kentucky a lot. It's a terrific instrument at an affordable price.

I do think that age would is a consideration in this case and not a positive one. If it is 15 years old it would be a fairly early production. Imported instruments like Eastman, Kentucky, etc. are currently making better and more constant mandolins. Over all condition will be a factor, what shape are the frets and does it need set-up work will effect price as well. I think pricing in the upper teens is optimistic. If it is in good condition and set-up well I would think closer to $1200 to $1500 range. You can check the classifieds here, ebay and reverb for actual instruments for sale or that have sold.

I bought an Eastman 805 made in 2005 for $750 this past fall. It is set up well. It has had a washer added to the truss rod for adjustment purposes. I am pleased with it and feel I have a very good mandolin especially considering what I paid for it.

Just bought my 2006 915 Eastman of the Cafe member here and it was setup by Mandovoodoo and it is a great player. It sounds better than my Kentucky Km1000 plus it has more bark as well. It really depends on the instrument and the amount it has been played plus other factors I guess. The older 915's seem to me to be better than the newer ones, but that can be only my observation too.

If you price it low , it will sell quick, but to me I am happy with my mandolin for the time being.

Name:	m4.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	614.4 KB 
ID:	192165

Allan
    Allan Midgley

19. The following members say thank you to tassiespirit for this post:

Rosanna, here is an Eastman 915 on Ebay in Japan for sale for $1774.99 USD - ok it is in very good condition but you can see what they are going for overseas.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Authenti...8AAOSw4dNf4u0b

Allan
    Allan Midgley

21. The following members say thank you to tassiespirit for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

FWIW, I did my own casual survey 8-10 years ago, across guitars & mandolins, and found that it took 20 to 30 years for a high quality, highly regarded brand-name instrument to equal its original sale price. (Think Martin, Gibson, Fender.) Of course, that varies with the desireability of the maker, the instrument, and where it stood in the original ranking; lower levels might never be valued while higher levels ... guess it's the old "Ya get what ya pay for"!

I'll add that, back around '08 or so, a 915 was THE highest quality mandolin I had played up until that point and it made a huge impression, despite some folks down-playing it. Probably still in my top ten, and there have been some truly big-buck items that I just didn't get. Oh well!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

23. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Thank you all for the responses. Learned a lot about how much prices can vary.

There's one other aspect to that instrument, Rosanna - Like my Eastman 305, I think your 915 would be made in China (corrections?) . My impression is that however well made and good to play they are, second owner Eastern made instruments may generally not be as attractive to all buyers as luthier made US or European built ones in the same price range - and there are also vintage US instruments in that price range. You can see this with e.g. top quality copies of Gibson Les Paul style guitars made by companies like Eastman and Maybach. Some of these are wonderful instruments - better made, finished, and sounding than most same price US made Gibsons. Second owner, though, my impression is they don't hold value so well. I think that's even more so in the violin world - but of course that means these instruments can be great value second hand. Anyone know more on this, agree or disagree (eg dealers)?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

If you bought it appropriately depreciated as a used instrument four years ago, there is no reason to think that it has lost any further value unless it suffered some damage or repair while in your care. Were I in your shoes, I would just be trying to get my money back out of the mandolin and pass it along to someone who will enjoy it more.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post: