Thread: Anyone played a Sefl mandolin?

Default Anyone played a Sefl mandolin?

Anyone? What did you think?

Default Re: Anyone played a Sefl mandolin?

Google wanted to search for Self mandolin. A Czech maker: proper spelling is Šefl. Web site is here.

I like the logo with the Š as a snake. They have a Facebook page. I assume you have seen these on that page or their site.

I have never played one. I don't know if any ever make it to the US.

I hope someone has played one on this site.

There is this video:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Looking at his Gallery, he made a Blond F5 for a client in the US, very impressive.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Bert Deivert (blues mandolinist in Sweden) has one ... I wonder if he's posted any videos with it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

The blonde is exceptional.

Yes, I found his page and was quite impressed. Would love to hear more from anyone that has played one. He seems rather talented.

Just saw this post now, sorry, way too late to help the OP. But in case anyone is wondering.....

I own a sefl mandolin, I asked David to build it for me and sent him the 10% downpayment just before corona hit. Whoops. I had a hard time finding any decent recordings of his instruments. He is a young dude and doesn't have a big name out there, which is why his instruments are so affordable. Bert Divert was nice enough to send me some recordings of his Sefl mandolin. In any event, I figured if it sounds half as good as it looks it will be a killer instrument (great reasoning, right?).

So eventually it arrived. After a while the tone really started to develop and it has been a joy to play. I play it just about every day and gig it in pubs, on the street busking, live music venues and open air stages. It's hands down the nicest instrument I've ever owned and the nicest mandolin I've ever played. That said, I live in Germany and you can forget getting your hands on any high end instruments around here, so truth be told I don't really have much to compare it to. Other mando players who've played it, as well as mandolin luthiers I've had set it up, were very complimentary of it's sound and build quality.

It has great overtones, and as such I feel like it kind of tells me when I'm doing something right, which is really rewarding and fun to explore. As I've progressed as a player I feel it it has pointed me in the right direction at times. The playability is killer. The only change I've made to it is a fretboard scoop.

Anyone who wants to get an idea of how it sounds (when recorded with an entry level desktop USB mic) can check out the mandolin playlist on my youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC00...66gKaTS66DxZKg

Working with David to have the instrument built was completely smooth and painless, I'd happily do it again. He is a good dude and in the small circle of people that know his work, he has a great reputation.

If anyone has questions they can reach out to me. In the meantime, happy pickin' folks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sefl Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	202827