Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Oval Hole A Mandolins for Orchestra Playing?

Default Re: Best Oval Hole A Mandolins for Orchestra Playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    At one point in their past the conductor encouraged players to play L&H instruments for some sort of consistency of sound so there were quite a few of those there owned by some of the older players. I am not entirely sure that made a big difference. It might be comparable to a modern symphony orchestra asking all their players to play genuine Stradivari instruments.
    A bunch of L&H instruments playing together have this particular shimmery overtone series to them ... it's quite a thing to hear, even on tape. That is what Goichberg was going for, I'm told, both in orchestra and quartet settings.

Of course not everyone agrees ... I sold L&H mandolins to several people in my orchestra and at one point I think we had five of them actively being played. But people moved on ... several folks are students of Chris Acquavella and he's getting them to buy modern German bowlbacks. One guy who bought a Style B from me brought it back after 2 or 3 years and had me sell it again when his bowlback arrived.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Jon Hall, maybe you know Gerald has considered starting a mandolin orchestra. He's probably too busy to actually do it.
    I'm sure Gerald is staying as busy as he can during these trying times. I'm thinking the Covid pandemic makes it a lot more complicated for orchestras to get together.

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

I discovered today the 1920 Gibson A2 I've been trying out has a wider fretboard than my Alvarez. The Gibson is harder for me to play. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to a wider fretboard???

Personally I can stand a chunkier neck vs. one that is wider. I had a mandolin with a 1-1/4” neck at the nut and found it not great for me. OTOH I have played plenty of teens and 20s Gibsons with no problem. Still you should play it for awhile and see if you can adapt. Loar era / snakeheads have narrower necks. I don’t think the L&Hs are less chunky than Gibsons. If you need a neck like your Alvarez you may need to buy a modern instrument.

That 25 snakehead AJr that just appeared in the classifieds at a nice low price sold within minutes BTW. That would have had a narrower neck than the Gibson in your possession. Downside it was refinished and is missing original parts but could be a very nice-sounding and playing instrument and a vintage Loar era Gibson for price of an import. Oh well... There will be others that may appeal.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Feb-17-2021 at 6:18pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I am not quite to the level of playing in an orchestra; however, I purchased a Cohen two point violin scale mandolin from the classifieds a few months ago and it is a truly wonderful instrument to play. I haven't seen any others come up for sale but it has the look of a L&H and all the benefits of a well made modern instrument. If you get the opportunity to try one of Dr. Cohen's build, I think you would enjoy it.
    Cohen A Oval Hole
    Breedlove Alpine
    Eastman MDO305

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Djsmith628 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    A bunch of L&H instruments playing together have this particular shimmery overtone series to them ... it's quite a thing to hear, even on tape. That is what Goichberg was going for, I'm told, both in orchestra and quartet settings.
    Martin, are there YouTube links to hear a group of L&Hs? I ran across a video of a Lyon & Healy mandocello a bit ago, and it was the most beautiful 'cello I've ever heard, by leaps and bounds. Makes all the rest sound like rubber bands stretched over a cigar box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4088vMwJg&t=39s

I discovered today the 1920 Gibson A2 I've been trying out has a wider fretboard than my Alvarez. The Gibson is harder for me to play. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to a wider fretboard???
    I'm similar to Jim in that I can adjust to a chunkier neck as far as neck profile goes, but wider necks not so much, wider necks and flat fretboards are deal breakers for me now. Similar with acoustic guitars, it took me awhile to figure out that I preferred a 1 11/16 nut to a 1 3/4. When I got back into guitar playing a few years ago I got a nice use Breedlove Revival OM. Initially I put any difficulties with playing comfort down to being rusty, but then I was visiting a friend in LA and stumbled upon a lovely '69 Martin 00-18 while wasting time at McCabe's waiting to meet my friend for lunch. It was so nice to play I ended up buying it (thank you, credit card!). Put an ad up for my Revival OM and sold it that same day, so all good. Later it dawned on me that the last guitar I'd had, prior to the Breedlove, had been my '57 Gibson J-50 (bought in a San Francisco pawn shop for $189 in the late '90's!), which like the Martin had a 1 11/16th nut and was a dream to play.

Thinking about your thread about knowing whether or not a mandolin is "the one", for me if I'm having to get used to the playability of the neck, then it isn't the one.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I'm curious if the group of L&H's you are referring to all were strung with Thomastik strings? Do you happen to know? Thank you.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

My Morris has a narrower fretboard than my Stradolin. I had the Stradolin first, and find it a little harder to play the Morris, mainly because the strings are closer together. Both are well set up and the action is good on both. My hands are kind of big for women's hands. My newbie thought on the matter is that personal preference is likely to be a combination of what you're used to and how big, small, flexible, etc your hands are.

13. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Sherry, I know you've been given lots of input on mandolins, etc. Not sure if you've seen the Eastman oval F-style. https://themandolinstore.com/product...tyle-mandolin/. I think this model is one of the coolest-looking instruments I've seen in a while. I mention Eastman because I had one and the neck/nut was very narrow. Might be a good fit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Sherry, I know you've been given lots of input on mandolins, etc. Not sure if you've seen the Eastman oval F-style. https://themandolinstore.com/product...tyle-mandolin/. I think this model is one of the coolest-looking instruments I've seen in a while. I mention Eastman because I had one and the neck/nut was very narrow. Might be a good fit for you.
    Hadn't considered an F style oval, but maybe I should. Gerald Jones told me there's an Eastman dealer in Denton. I may have to make that trip.

I told Gerald you had suggested Charley's. He said he may know you from there. Can that be? He said the ownership has changed and they're not much into mandolins these days.

Hadn't considered an F style oval, but maybe I should. Gerald Jones told me there's an Eastman dealer in Denton. I may have to make that trip.

I told Gerald you had suggested Charley's. He said he may know you from there. Can that be? He said the ownership has changed and they're not much into mandolins these days.
    FYI: I think that particular Eastman model is pretty rare and hard to find. YMMV. I haven't been to a music store in Denton for a long time, but I used to go to McBride's up on the square some back in the day. There is (or at least was a few years ago) a high-end acoustic shop somewhere near the square, and they even have a Guitar Center. It's like a little Austin in some ways.

As far as Charley's goes, if I recall correctly their luthier/repairman is a young fellow called Caleb, but that's not me. I just like to go in there from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I haven't been to a music store in Denton for a long time, but I used to go to McBride's up on the square some back in the day. There is (or at least was a few years ago) a high-end acoustic shop somewhere near the square, and they even have a Guitar Center. It's like a little Austin in some ways.
    Gerald said the Eastman dealer is Sky Guitars. There are some Eastmans on the website.

My guess: the A4 with the Virzi in this demo . in vintage instruments section ,,

https://youtu.be/_6KwwE5LpvM
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Sylvan Music, in Santa Cruz, has a Lyon & Healy listed. f.y.i.