Thread: Tim Lerch on the last word on scales and modes...

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Tim Lerch on the last word on scales and modes...

No mandolin content. But relevant to us all...

Thought some here might be interested.

Couple of takeaways (and it's full of goodies):

Don't use the modes as fingerings - they all have their own sound.

Don't overthink - process and absorb scales, chords, melodies etc...

Learn everything you need, and then play music....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBit9oTcMPU

Hope you enjoy.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Lewis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tim Lerch on the last word on scales and modes...

The thing he says that rings real true with me is, he doesn't know all of the answers. That is due to being steeped in the scales, chord arpeggios and modes to the point that they are just there for his intuition to use. Applying the abstract to the concrete is key to making music.

4. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Nice one - on creativity. This type of discussion is salient - addressing the prolific demarcation between rote playing, and playing music of personal experience, using feeling, imagination, sound relationships, questioning/risk-taking,

I encourage people to make personal music too - using feeling, imagination, sound relationships - personal expression. There are unlimited discoveries to be made if one uses these as guiding principles. Many players today in fact dive deeply into their instruments and produce sounds that interest them - without the usual frames of reference (there's much to be said about that, but another time). Tim's approach is excellent, and there are others as well. As Bob said - applying the abstract to the concrete.. I think this is not a particularly easy thing for many of us, however: there are tremendously powerful associations we carry that dissuade us from this self-reliance, etc.

I don't think anyone has "all the answers" - typically folks say they only "know" less and less, as facility begets yet more possibilities, questions, explorations, different forms of knowledge, etc.. Music is a type of research with infinite possibilities.

"Live in the world of Sound."
    Last edited by catmandu2; Feb-10-2021 at 12:07pm.

6. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Thanks for sharing this David, I thought he talked a great deal of sense and had a very endearing presentational style.

I'm not sure who said it, but this video reminded me of a quote which goes something like "learn all the scales and theory, but when you play a gig, forget all you know and just play from the heart"

8. The following members say thank you to Paul Cowham for this post: