Thread: New string formula?

Default New string formula?

I have used EXP coated sets for years. Recently, the sets were discontinued, and brand “X” was introduced. I find that the new sets do not last as long, and the tuning stability has dropped significantly. This is consistent across all 5 of the mandolins I own.

SO...it is time to find another string set. Would anyone have a recommendation as to which brand sounds close to the old EXP sets?

2. The following members say thank you to StevanR for this post:

Default Re: New string formula?

Interesting to hear about your experience, because D'Addario claims that their new XT-series coating is more durable and long-lasting than the EXP coating it has replaced, not less durable. It's also thinner than before. As for tuning stability -- at least at initially -- that's not usually a function of the string coating, but of the uniformity and quality of the string wrapping, and the core strength, instead. So I wonder what might be contributing to the instability that you reported? Strange.

I wonder if your experience is shared by others, or if it's contrary/unusual. I'd love to hear from everyone who's tried the new D'Addario XT-coated strings.

Anyway, D'Addario has released a video about their new XT coating, which others may be interested in viewing. Mandolin strings are mentioned at 9 min into the video, if you want to just hear about these. Interestingly, I learned that both the wound AND unwound strings get coated in the new XT process, and not just the wound strings, which was the case in the earlier EXP process:

I'm a fan of Curt Mangan strings, but I never liked the sound or feel of the EXP strings. I find the uncoated Mangans last for a long time, easily as long as any coated strings I've used. I have had my current strings on since November and they still sound great. They settle in very quickly and stay at that optimum sound for a long time.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

5. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

>D'Addario claims...
    Yes, I was excited about the new developments, until I actually tried them. New “X” sets, with a couple days of retuning and stretch time, wouldn’t stay in tune for multiple songs on a gig...baffling! This behavior on multiple _decent_ mandolins!

It could be that they changed the core/winding ratio...I haven’t dissected a string to measure...all I can relate is my experience with the new sets...they won’t stay in tune for me.

>I wonder if your experience is shared by others...
    I have heard from others (on other social sites) that their experience has been similar. It has also been noted that the new sets don’t last as long as the old EXP sets did.

I’ve always thought, that if something isn’t broken, it doesn’t need fixing. Maybe the intent was to shorten the lifespan, so that players needed to change sets more often...resulting in more sales? Those marketing guys are pretty smart people! Maybe we can all gripe to the manufacturer loud enough, that they revert to the old ways. Remember the “new Coke” fiasco?

7. The following members say thank you to StevanR for this post:

Mangan strings are definitely on the list of new sets to try!! I’ve heard several good reports about them.

Are the Mangan strings suited more for one type of music or tone than another?
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by StevanR View Post
    I have used EXP coated sets for years. Recently, the sets were discontinued, and brand “X” was introduced. I find that the new sets do not last as long, and the tuning stability has dropped significantly. This is consistent across all 5 of the mandolins I own.

SO...it is time to find another string set. Would anyone have a recommendation as to which brand sounds close to the old EXP sets?
    Oh my friend... how I share your pain. I am on my last set of EXP74s and am dreading the day when it will be time to change strings... literally and literally! As to why DA chose to discontinue these strings is a mystery to me. They finally got it together to change the packaging from individual paper wrappers for the pairs to their new, air-tight plastic packaging and this was a good move - the unwound strings wrapped in the paper sleeves tarnished easily. So they finally get it all together and then they go and discontinue (what I would say) was their best-sounding, longest-lasting phosphor-bronze set. Stupid.

A well-known host of a world-reknowned mandolin content site confided to me recently that DA is nowhere near the company it used to be. He, like myself, thinks the "new and improved" version of the EXPs - the XTs... uh, let's see... how can I put this graciously... SUCK!

Bring back the EXP74s please... some of us players really liked them...

Try the DA Nickel Bronze set... they're uncoated, but at least they are made with DA's "NY Steel" which, to me, seems to keep my mandolins in tune way better than their other string offerings.
    Last edited by Glassweb; Feb-10-2021 at 12:36am.

I've had similar experiences going from the EXPs, which were my standard for years, to XTs. I had stocked up enough on EXPs back when I was gigging all the time (before the XTs were even announced) that I only recently ran through them. When I tried the switch-over, I really didn't like the XTs--not only for holding tuning but also for their tone, which seemed less full to my ear. I have a few friends who recommended GHS A270s, and I've been liking those so far. Now that I've got a new Ellis, Tom ships them with the GHS set (and builds with that set of strings) so I think I'll be sticking with that for the time being.
    My Instruments:
    Ellis Twin Point #524
    My beloved Old Wave #83
    Herb Taylor Bouzouki #228
    Mid-Mo M1 #4321 and M14 #176 (my first mandos)
    Scuderi #001 OM Model Guitar
    Plus a fiddle, a viola, a cello, another guitar, and (worryingly) three bagpipes.

Never fell in love with the EXPs .I have used Thomastik Starks for years. Just tried a set of Elixirs because I use them on my guitars and they are much different, but I like them. Have a set of Curt Mangan Bluegrass Series to try next.

I also mourn the loss of EXP strings. I just put on a set of the XTs. My initial impression is that they sound more muted than the EXPs. Also, since I used the medium EXPs on my MT, I also feel the difference in the lighter gauge of the XTs. What have folks found as the most like the medium EXPs? I could go back to the EJ 75s if they have maintained the quality they were a few years ago before I switched to the EXPs. I personally liked the brightness of the EXPs and even as they aged, the sound was really wonderful.
    Daniel Kaufman

14. The following members say thank you to FrDNicholas for this post:

I'm using GHS since D'Addario doesn't care what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by FrDNicholas View Post
    I also mourn the loss of EXP strings. I just put on a set of the XTs. My initial impression is that they sound more muted than the EXPs. Also, since I used the medium EXPs on my MT, I also feel the difference in the lighter gauge of the XTs. What have folks found as the most like the medium EXPs? I could go back to the EJ 75s if they have maintained the quality they were a few years ago before I switched to the EXPs. I personally liked the brightness of the EXPs and even as they aged, the sound was really wonderful.
    I tried going back to the EJ74s and though they sound good, the definitely don't have the tone, the feel or the ability to stay in tune the way the EXP series did.

DA can say what they want to about their XT mandolin strings... they ain't happening.

Please bring back the EXP series. (Now we'll get to see how responsive they are to customer requests!) Seems like I remember a time last year when they actually had someone in their company respond to posts on The Cafe... hmmm...

Mapes' strings are coated with...something...they've lasted a long time for me and I usually blow through and corrode strings. They also keep sounding great. Might be worth a try.
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

18. The following members say thank you to withfoam for this post:

Am just starting to use the Mangan strings on one mandolin. It had XTs on previously. Am pretty sure I like these better. Will be interesting to see how long they will last.

FWIW, this is the Flatiron and with the XTs it was very loud. Enough that my band proclaimed it easier to hear than the Collings.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

bronze is copper + tin Brass is Copper + zinc.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Straight Up Strings

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    Straight Up Strings
    I agree about the Straight Up strings. Good tone and seems to stay in tune longer than EXT’s,
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

I used to use the EXPs but switched to uncoated strings a few years ago. Simply because I preferred the sound better. I'm using GHS light. No brand plugging intended. I never found the coating was all that beneficial. Now maybe less so. Carry on.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

I love Mapes, I like a 016 second string on a medium set. I was buying them and throwing away seconds. With Mapes I order the gauge I want, they last like coated strings, play good and are reasonably priced. I don’t know what else you would want

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I love Mapes, I like a 016 second string on a medium set.
    Well this is a new discovery. Prices and selection are attractive; I like the approach to gauge selection and prefer .011 E in a “medium” set. Are they loop end?

Like others here, I’ve been stretching the life of my last EXPs. They’re still staying in tune and providing adequate tone for quarantine playing. They’ll likely have to go when the live jamming starts up again. I do have some XTs and should probably try them.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615