Thread: Eastwood Mando 5 Uppallapa Srivinas 5-string electric project

Default Eastwood Mando 5 Uppallapa Srivinas 5-string electric project

I just noticed this 5-string mandolin over on the Eastwood Guitars project page.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	srinivas3_750x.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	191880

Basically, you put down a deposit, and if the project reaches its funding goal, you get billed for the balance once the production gets built. In this case, the deposit of $150 goes towards the balance of $449. If full funding isn't reached, everybody gets the deposit refunded.

US shipping is free.

If you don't like it, you can get a refund of all but the deposit, or the full amount as credit. (I don't know about shipping in case of returns, but the site has a FAQ.)

The nut is 1 3/4", and the scale length 13 3/4". I have various five-course instruments, both 5- and 10-string, all varying in nut width, and even some with fanned frets. I don't have problems moving across them as a group, so I suspect this will just be one more option in the stable for me.

Eastwood Guitars Mando 5 project page

I actually started looking at and using more glisses on mando instruments after both watching U.Srivinas videos and starting to again work through the always instructive The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick. I'm curious where I'm going to end up settling in terms of use and tuning on this thing....

NFI, just a heads up.

----

Incidentally, I have noticed other Eastwood mando-family builds in the past, but only recently scored a used Cosey Mandola. It has far exceeded my expectations, which is nice because I am normally set on using one of my Flatiron Army Navy mandolas. Set-up on the Eastwood went quick, and it plays great, so it was easy to then take a chance on the Mando 5.

Cheers!

Default Re: Eastwood Mando 5 Uppallapa Srivinas 5-string electric project

It doesn't look right without the zero fret and extra tuner!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

“Default Re: Eastwood Mando 5 Uppallapa Srivinas 5-string electric project
    It doesn't look right without the zero fret and extra tuner!“

Does this effect playability?

Quote Originally Posted by morganpiper View Post
    Does this effect playability?
    Ha! It depends on the player! I mean, if you just CAN'T play one if it isn't exactly like the one Srinivas played, then I guess this one'll be completely unplayable.

If you read other threads posted at the Cafι concerning zero frets, you'll learn that they may well have some function. Opinions differ. But I've never seen any persuasive argument that there is a practical, functional reason for having 6 tuners on a 5-string instrument. The child-prodigy Srinivas started out on an instrument with 8 tuners; my theory has always been that after he settled on 5 strings he had his headstock cut down a little, getting rid of the top 2 tuners and leaving 6.
    Name:  Child Srinivas with 8 tuners on Sahmax.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  6.2 KB

I have one of these Eastwoods on order ... we'll see what I make of it when it gets here.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Did anyone ever try one of these 5Β’ers ?