Thread: Fishman Tone DEQ and Mandolin

Default Fishman Tone DEQ and Mandolin

Have any of you used the Fishman Tone DEQ unit with their mandolin?
    When I perform at the local open mics. I have very little control over the mandolin. They always get impatient when you ask them for a little more reverb or volume etc. I like this unit because it has effects and that it can be powered by a battery. At present I'm using a Audio Tech. Pro 70 mic in the f hole and it works great with my mixer at home but suffers at open mics. due to lack of mixing. I've been looking at the LR Baggs units, but they lack any effects.
    I would appreciate any input!
    Ron

Default Re: Fishman Tone DEQ and Mandolin

I’m no help on the Fishman but wondered if you’ve thought about trying something like Behringer’s tube modeling preamp and vintage reverb pedals. I haven’t tried plugging my mando into them because it sounded good directly into my mixer, but I use them for my harmonica mike and they sound amazing for just over $20 apiece and the preamp provides some tone control. I’ll give them a try later this week with the mandolin into a PA speaker without the mixer to see how well that works for an open mike gig. (I usually supply the PA for the local brewery open mike so have never had to worry about portability

I would find a unit that lets you control the volume and tone, and leave the reverb up to the sound guy in that instance.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I love the Fishman AFX pedals. Great sounds. Also use the Baggs Venue. I generally don't love Boss...

But the Boss AD 10 seems to have the package that no one else does. It also sounds great.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10