Thread: Trinity College vs. Eastman mandolas?

Default Trinity College vs. Eastman mandolas?

I'm just wondering how these two compare, and if there's any other comparably priced mandolas that would be similar in quality and sound? I realize this can be very subjective, just looking for ideas. Thanks. Does Eastman make an A style mandola?
    Daniel Kaufman

Default Re: Trinity College vs. Eastman mandolas?

Quote Originally Posted by FrDNicholas View Post
    I'm just wondering how these two compare, and if there's any other comparably priced mandolas that would be similar in quality and sound? I realize this can be very subjective, just looking for ideas. Thanks. Does Eastman make an A style mandola?
    I have owned both (both Eastmans, the MDA 315 and the MDA 815, the latter was lost in a fire, as well as the TC). The TC was actually my first mandola. If you play folk or Irish, or you want to accompany your own singing, I would say the TC is better. On the other hand, the 315 is almost as good, and if you want to play jazz, blues, or Bach, it is definitely superior. at least to my old hands and ears.

Default Re: Trinity College vs. Eastman mandolas?

Different types of construction: Trinity College flat-top, oval-hole; Eastman carved-top, f-hole. Depends on what you want. I had an Eastman MDA615 for a while; it was sorta like a bluegrass mandolin on growth hormones. If you like the sound of bluegrass mandolin, but with a deeper voice, one of the Eastman instruments might suit you. It should have a sharp attack, with the notes fading ("decaying") more quickly. It will have an assertive voice for ensemble playing, perhaps not as lyrical or sustained.

Flat-top, oval-hole instruments like the Trinity College tend to have a gentler attack, longer sustain -- more of a "ringing" sound -- and are often preferred for general-purpose "folk" and Celtic playing, and for solo vocal accompaniment. That's not to say that you can't play any kind of music on either type of mandola, but players who lead toward non-bluegrass/country styles of play seem to prefer oval-hole instruments.

Right now my two main mandolas are an old Stahl built by the Larson brothers, and a Sobell which has an arched pressed top; both are oval-hole. I bought the Sobell to play in a Celtic band, and it's pretty close to ideal for that purpose; loud enough to be heard, but sweeter, with long sustain. The Stahl is just a great all-around instrument, though a bit elderly and finicky. It has plenty of volume, but a bit of a "hollowed" sound that supports vocals and treble instruments with a lot of depth.

As meow-n-dolin says, the choice is probably related to your own musical tastes. If these lean toward the Trinity College, you could also investigate the Gold Tone mandola, which is similar in construction.

I don't think Eastman's making an A-model mandola. My usual advice is to play each kind of instrument, see what suits you.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM