Thread: String set gauge for 1927Regal flattop mando

Default String set gauge for 1927Regal flattop mando

About a year and a half ago, I did some repairs(mostly loose braces) on this lovely 1927 Stahl- labeled Regal. Came out nice, I strung it with 9-34 strings.

Last week, customer brought it back, top had sunk again on the treble side. Turns out, instead of a loose brace, the flatsawn main brace under the top bend(in line with the bridge) had split along the grain.

Are 9-34 gauge strings a good choice for this type of man do, or should I go even lighter? I think if the brace was quatersawn, it would have been fine. But it’s flatsawn.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	706E6E16-A38E-41B4-8389-A78CCAFBCD13.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	642.4 KB 
ID:	191745

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: String set gauge for 1927Regal flattop mando

A flat-sawn brace is inherently weak. It shouldn't have been built that way. Sigh.
    The mandolin should be able to handle 9 - 34.
    About all you can do is to try to glue the brace back together and cross your fingers [you only get one chance on a job like that, so you have to do it very well], or to replace the brace, which would probably require opening the instrument.

Another thought: I see you're in Vermont. Is this instrument falling apart because of humidity problems? Make sure the owner understands the consequences a dry winter environment has on an old instrument.
    Last edited by rcc56; Feb-02-2021 at 1:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    A flat-sawn brace is inherently weak. It shouldn't have been built that way. Sigh.
    The mandolin should be able to handle 9 - 34.
    About all you can do is to try to glue the brace back together and cross your fingers [you only get one chance on a job like that, so you have to do it very well], or to replace the brace, which would probably require opening the instrument.

Another thought: I see you're in Vermont. Is this instrument falling apart because of humidity problems? Make sure the owner understands the consequences a dry winter environment has on an old instrument.
    Hi rcc56, it's not a humidity issue, it's been kept in a humidified room, along with a piano.

And now, after regluing the split brace, and removing the clamp, I can see the brace has cracked across the grain, another aspect of it's flatsawn orientation. Assuming the owner wants to proceed, I plan to remove the back, to replace the failed main brace...durn-it.

Teacher, repair person

Fun and games. I hope it comes apart cleanly.
    Mandolins and guitars are harder to take apart than violins. At least this one was almost certainly built with hide glue.
    I have made temporary molds out of rigid insulation material to help pull an instrument back into shape when it's time to put it back together.
    Those Regal-made Stahls can be surprisingly good sounding instruments.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Those Regal-made Stahls can be surprisingly good sounding instruments.
    With this amount of extra bling on it, I was guessing (hoping) it has a rosewood back, too?

That combination of spruce / rosewood on these 20s era flatbacks did indeed provide for some good sounding instruments.
    Very crisp and clear tone.

Good luck with the repairs. If you get a chance to post some repair photos in progress, I know folks would appreciate and enjoy it.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

It does have rosewood b&s, and it did sound very good after the first round of repairs. Should the owner agree to proceed, I’ll document the process, and post photos.

7. The following members say thank you to Dave Richard for this post: