Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33

Thread: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

  1. #26

    Default Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

    Welcome to the thread and thank you for sharing your experience. That's great that Gold Tone took care of you. I know how much of a pain it is to order international with the customs fees & shipping, so I'm glad you got it worked out. That must have been stressful, because returning an instrument internationally

    Do you see any differences in the two mandolins? I'm curious what caused the first one to have intonation issues?

    When I took mine to the guitar repair shop, they too told me the bridge needed to be a farther back. Which is weird because now that I moved the saddle back and put the thinner string, it's perfect in tune at the 12th fret. So apparently the bridge doesn't need to be farther back after all.

    Do you have any troubles playing bar chords? I'm still struggling with that. I'm not sure if I'm not pushing hard enough or if I am just doing it wrong.

  2. #27
    Registered User BadExampleMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Jaffa
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

    I don't really do barre chords a lot with the stuff I'm playing these days. (Monroe chop chords are an ongoing struggle, but that's true no matter what instrument I'm playing.) You're probably not doing it wrong but mandolin strings are under more tension than a guitar so barre chords are going to be more difficult unless you have really good finger strength.

  3. #28

    Default Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by BadExampleMan View Post
    I don't really do barre chords a lot with the stuff I'm playing these days. (Monroe chop chords are an ongoing struggle, but that's true no matter what instrument I'm playing.) You're probably not doing it wrong but mandolin strings are under more tension than a guitar so barre chords are going to be more difficult unless you have really good finger strength.
    I'm starting to have second thoughts about the barre chords.. I'm learning the 3 note moveable chords, like this one:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-03-02_2201.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	192465

    and I can't seem to get my first two fingers on the adjacent strings. So I was playing it by barring with the first but that doesn't work well either. On my ukulele it's easier to play the first two strings with the first two fingers because the strings are spaced farther apart. And it's also easier to barre the first two strings with the first finger. I'm curious how other people play these, especially on the Goldtone GME-5.

  4. #29
    Fingertips of leather Bill McCall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Posts
    1,825

    Default Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

    Barre chords just take practice. A good setup helps to insure the action is good. It’s a time where playing like a guitar helps.

    Your example is a very common one and a very useful shape. Change any note one fret either direction leads and you’re in new territory.
    Play it like you mean it

    Not all the clams are at the beach

    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Ratliff CountryBoy A
    00-21 (voiced by Eldon Stutzman)

  5. #30

    Default Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Barre chords just take practice. A good setup helps to insure the action is good. It’s a time where playing like a guitar helps.

    Your example is a very common one and a very useful shape. Change any note one fret either direction leads and you’re in new territory.
    Would putting on lighter strings make it easier? I currently have .011 .016 .026w .040w .048w

  6. #31
    Registered User BadExampleMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Jaffa
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by cunparis View Post
    Would putting on lighter strings make it easier? I currently have .011 .016 .026w .040w .048w
    Maybe, but you really want to build up your strength and technique with the strings you have, IMO. Then if you want to switch to lighter strings at a later date your barres will be even better.

    Try rolling your index finger a little bit. That is, rather than pressing down right in the center of your finger pad, press from a little to one side, where there's less flesh and the bone is closer to the surface. Also, make sure your finger is positioned exactly properly relative to the fret. It should be right behind it, as close as you can be without being on top of it.

  7. #32
    Fingertips of leather Bill McCall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Posts
    1,825

    Default Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by cunparis View Post
    Would putting on lighter strings make it easier? I currently have .011 .016 .026w .040w .048w
    Maybe, but might not be enough to overcome a too high nut. If it’s real hard at the first fret and much easier at the 7th fret, I’d check the nut.
    Play it like you mean it

    Not all the clams are at the beach

    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Ratliff CountryBoy A
    00-21 (voiced by Eldon Stutzman)

  8. #33
    coprolite mandroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Outer Spiral Arm, of Galaxy, NW Oregon.
    Posts
    16,487

    Default Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by cunparis View Post
    I'm starting to have second thoughts about the barre chords.. I'm learning the 3 note moveable chords, like this one:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-03-02_2201.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	192465

    and I can't seem to get my first two fingers on the adjacent strings. So I was playing it by barring with the first but that doesn't work well either. On my ukulele it's easier to play the first two strings with the first two fingers because the strings are spaced farther apart. And it's also easier to barre the first two strings with the first finger. I'm curious how other people play these, especially on the Goldtone GME-5.
    I have adapted open string chord forms , by re assigning fingers , to make them movable..

    try those based on G & C..



    ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •