Thread: A vs. F

Default A vs. F

Apologies in advance as I assume his has been beat to death but I can't seem to find any pertinent info. I am waffling between a Weber A Yellowstone and an F Galliatin. I always assumed that the difference between the A and F bodies was cosmetic as was the difference between the Yellowstone and Gallatin models (bling, basically).

Am I wrong?

Default Re: A vs. F

No, you have excellent analytical powers.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

I’ve found there are a couple of differences not related to tone or appearance. The weight of the F style headstock is heavier than an A style and has to be supported, especially when playing while standing. If I’m playing an F style while sitting, the point helps anchor the mandolin on my lap while my A style tends to move around a little.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm with Bill.

No part of nothin'

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

All mandolins have different tone. The differences are often minimal. But then that's the fodder for all of us mandolin folk to opinionate about. The wood the maker the model and that's before playability, the strings , pick and players technique are engaged. Either Weber is likely a worthy instrument to spend time with. F models require more fitting and hand work so you will get more "bang for your buck" with an A model instrument. But in the end you have to play one before you know if it's the one for you. Enjoy the journey.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

7. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

If made after 2018, the Yellowstone will have a dovetail neck joint while the Gallatin is a mortise and tenon. Whether that makes a difference is for you to decide.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I believe the two have different finishes (satin vs. gloss), which will cause subtle differences in the tone.

Also, Weber has used different top woods over the years on both models (spruce vs. cedar... and maybe others???) and that will affect the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I believe the two have different finishes (satin vs. gloss), which will cause subtle differences in the tone.
    I've never heard that one, and I don't see how it could be true.

Quote Originally Posted by dave vann View Post
    I've never heard that one, and I don't see how it could be true.
    It comes from confirmation bias, basically. It's not made up or imagined, but it's not a repeatable observation. The old "correlation does not imply causation".
    Test out a room full of mandolins, notice that the three mandolins in the room have a darker tone, stronger midrange, or whatever. Post about it online. Someone reads the post, goes to another place, tests out a bunch of mandolins, finds maybe different subtle differences in tone, but differences nonetheless. Which are easily attributable to the varnish. It's just that, out of a dozen mandolins, the likelihood that "all the reddish ones" will have something in common, and "all the F styles" will have something in common, and "all the ones with radiused fretboards" will have something in common, is essentially guaranteed.

The point to remember with all this stuff is that no musical instrument is the complete system in itself. The system is much more complex, and includes the room, the temperature and humidity, the instrument, the pick, the strings, and most importantly, the human.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    It comes from confirmation bias, basically. It's not made up or imagined, but it's not a repeatable observation. The old "correlation does not imply causation".
    Test out a room full of mandolins, notice that the three mandolins in the room have a darker tone, stronger midrange, or whatever. Post about it online. Someone reads the post, goes to another place, tests out a bunch of mandolins, finds maybe different subtle differences in tone, but differences nonetheless. Which are easily attributable to the varnish. It's just that, out of a dozen mandolins, the likelihood that "all the reddish ones" will have something in common, and "all the F styles" will have something in common, and "all the ones with radiused fretboards" will have something in common, is essentially guaranteed.

The point to remember with all this stuff is that no musical instrument is the complete system in itself. The system is much more complex, and includes the room, the temperature and humidity, the instrument, the pick, the strings, and most importantly, the human.
    Well, it may and probably is true with different ears than mine ! I am positive that "I" would not be able to tell the difference ! This is the reason I drink cheap wine as I can't tell the difference in taste from two buck chuck to boutique wine !

If I'm not mistaken, the original Weber Gallatin model was not really an "F model." To save costs, it was unbound and it also had a partial scroll only, like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weber gallatin.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	191474

Later versions of the Gallatin had full scrolls, more like a "real" F model, but still no binding:

Name:	weber gallatin 2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	191475

So, if you are buying used, it depends on which year of Gallatin "F" you are considering against the Yellowstone A. But if you're buying new, then I'd have to wonder why you're doing that. If the idea is to save money and get the best possible sound for your dollar, then "A vs. F" might matter a lot less than "old vs. new." Just saying...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

If we're really getting down to the smaller points, no, the early Gallatin wasn't like a Gibson F, it was a different take with the scroll and headstock. Also, the early Gallatin appears to have been mahogany back and sides standard. With maple as an option.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

17. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the original Weber Gallatin model was not really an "F model." To save costs, it was unbound and it also had a partial scroll only, like this:

Name:	weber gallatin.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	191474

Later versions of the Gallatin had full scrolls, more like a "real" F model, but still no binding:

Name:	weber gallatin 2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	191475

So, if you are buying used, it depends on which year of Gallatin "F" you are considering against the Yellowstone A. But if you're buying new, then I'd have to wonder why you're doing that. If the idea is to save money and get the best possible sound for your dollar, then "A vs. F" might matter a lot less than "old vs. new." Just saying...
    It is in fact a matter of cost. I'm not interested in bling, only tone. There's a Gallatin F model on Carter's website, says it's new @ $3,300 (not sure when it was built as I believe Weber hasn't offered that model for a while) or I can order an A model Yellowstone for $1,600 more. Did I mention I am talking about a Mandola rather than a mandolin? Anyways, if the sound coming out is comparable it's an easy choice.

Cheers.

As the owner of an Eastman A, I am envious of the F scroll as an anchor for my strap.

Any differences of A-model vs. F-model, gloss finish vs. matte finish, binding vs. no binding, and other basically non-acoustic features, are insignificant compared to the differences among individual instruments, even those of the same "make and model."

Each piece of wood is different, subtly or significantly, and therefore instruments made from different pieces of wood are, well, different. While we may talk about the "Gibson sound" or the "Collings sound," based on different construction variables, we still need side-by-side comparison to evaluate the differences between two individual mandolins. (And that leaves aside the other sound variations from string gauges and types, pick weights and composition, etc.)

Buyers often choose between "A" and "F" based on esthetics, the perception that a lot of pros play F-models, or, honestly, by price; F-models cost more. Weber makes excellent instruments at all their (substantial) price points. There may well be a tonal difference between a mahogany and a maple body that holds across all or most such instruments. Beyond that, individual variations are what counts.

In a long and sordid career of buying mandolins, I once had the chance to A/B two early 1950's Gibson F-5's; at another point, three brand-new Eastman mandolas, two 615's and an 815. There were clearly discernible individual differences in each case, and I picked the one that suited me better. Hope you get a similar chance to compare the Weber instruments you're considering. I would opine, however, that it's unlikely you'll go wrong, either way.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Smile Re: A vs. F

Well the lap points on the lower side are useful.. playing seated , reading your music..

Gallitin * weber can have a bit of quarter round edges
    so a bit more comfortable playing than a sharp binding edge..
    that I got an armrest because of.. ..

*older mandolins like the A Jr is also unbound edges..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I always play standing and I prefer the way the F style hangs on the strap and my arm is not touching the strap.

I do have a Weber Hyalite I like to take on trips when we are confined and usually sitting to play.

Comfort when playing is crucial.

23. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I’d be way more concerned about how they sound than how they look.

I have a 2017 Weber Yellowstone F red spruce. it is a great sounding mandolin. I'm sure either of your choices would be great sounding mandolin.