Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New player - Mandolin

Default Re: New player - Mandolin

Thanks Ash Telecaster and contributors,

I'm nearly ready to purchase one of these MD305's based on the responses and positive feedback on this thread. I've got a price from one of the local stores and now I've just got to go out and get it. Just need to learn a few chords so's I can give it a strum in the shop.

I love researching prospective new purchases and this has helped a lot.

Cheers, Mike.

2. The following members say thank you to Mikee for this post:

Eastman 305 was a great choice. Based on your guitar habit, this will probably only be the first of many mandolins for you, and a fine place to start.

I've had both an Eastman and a Kentucky, and the main difference to me was the Eastman seemed more contemporary in sound, where the Kentucky was more of a Gibson clone, sounding much drier and more traditional. I thought my Kentucky sounded much better than the Eastman, because I liked the older, drier tone. But then again, I know a fellow with an older Eastman 515 that sounds very dry and old.

Either way, I hope you enjoy yours, Ash Tele, and play it in good health. No matter what brand one plays, the mandolin is the happiest-sounding instrument of them all.

4. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Hi all,

I needed an excuse to do something more than noodling on my new mandolin so I wrote a tune. The performance is rough in spots and the tune a little repetitive but I think it was a good first venture. Many thanks to the intrepid Sue who helped me with the editing process!

This song started with a chord progression on guitar, then I added fretless bass which I admittedly over played. I would redo it but I think I'll put my energy into the next effort rather than trying to make something more out of this one. Lastly I added the mandolin part. I tried to include a mix of techniques from multiple string riffs, intervals, arpeggios, strummed chords, and single note melody.

This was recorded via an SM57 into Reaper. I added a wee touch of compression and verb.

So, without further ado, warts and all, mandolin....

https://soundcloud.com/user-700640754/mandolin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ash Telecaster For This Useful Post:

It came out good. I like the beginning now, too.
    Looking forward to the next one

8. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    It came out good. I like the beginning now, too.
    Looking forward to the next one
    Next up, Classical Gas on mandolin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kib4VkkynEw

Nice tremolo and cross picking.

D.H.

11. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Thanks Dave,

I'm hungry now. I've learned the note placement on the neck but still can't "see" it yet. Still getting the hang of the tuning being in 5ths rather than 4ths. I can play some scales but I haven't really got them under my fingers yet.

Regarding the Eastman, I love this thing. It just sounds beautiful and is a joy to play. So glad the tdpri guys sent me over here and grateful for the all help the peeps on this site so generously provided.

Mike, look up the G C and D open chords. They are easy resonate nicely.
    Last edited by Ash Telecaster; Mar-05-2021 at 9:29pm.

Heh.

You learn really quickly that all those riffs you have internalized in your fingers from guitar playing sound dreadful on a mando...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

14. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Heh.

You learn really quickly that all those riffs you have internalized in your fingers from guitar playing sound dreadful on a mando...
    Honestly tuning in 4ths still seems more logical to me from a moving diagonally perspective. However with the smaller neck of the mandolin you can easily cover more territory. I think this is were I start learning other peoples tunes so I can see how they naturally navigate the neck melodically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Telecaster View Post
    Honestly tuning in 4ths still seems more logical to me from a moving diagonally perspective. However with the smaller neck of the mandolin you can easily cover more territory. I think this is were I start learning other peoples tunes so I can see how they naturally navigate the neck melodically.
    An epiphany! I learned some block patterns! Yah!

I discovered Waynes World of Mandolin. He doesn't have a lot of stuff out there but the stuff he has is great, especially related to the mechanics of getting around on the mandolin. Primal learning stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJ...7ELyhh1Yhs6-7Q

Also found a Sierra Hull video that was pretty useful too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTh4O-_wjM

And a strange little story...I awoke this morning with this tune in my head. I was humming it. It didn't dawn on me right away but it was the melody to that little Mandolin song I did.

Maybe I do need to develop it a little more. I just bought a Viola and a sax. I don't think the sax will fit in but the viola should should be able to squeeze in nicely.

17. The following members say thank you to Ash Telecaster for this post:

I also am new to the mando. I've wanted one for years. I came across an extra $350 in my pocket so I went out hunting. I found a used KM250 that I really liked. I checked on Musicians Friend and I could buy one new for the same price. So I ordered one. Then I was told they were on backorder! I bumped it up to a KM 252, that they had in stock and for $450. I got the mando and case. It came in 2 days.

I love it. I've been practicing 2 hours a day and getting better. I need an arm rest. That edge is digging into me. You would think that someone would build one with a bigger radius. I would bet the radius would make the sound flow out better than a sharp corner where the sound could get stuck. But that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Telecaster View Post
    An epiphany! I learned some block patterns! Yah!

I discovered Waynes World of Mandolin. He doesn't have a lot of stuff out there but the stuff he has is great, especially related to the mechanics of getting around on the mandolin. Primal learning stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJ...7ELyhh1Yhs6-7Q
    Waynes World is a great resource for those getting into mandolin. He has a nice smooth teaching method that would be very beneficial to many players...oh and I dug your tune...
    Last edited by CBFrench; Mar-28-2021 at 9:23am.