Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New player - Mandolin

Default Re: New player - Mandolin

I find it strange, and I am not arguing the truth in it, but it seems really odd that these little instruments would cost twice what a guitar would. I wouldn't think its more difficult or more expensive to manufacture. Perhaps its simply a matter of volume or maybe its simply what people are willing to pay. Or maybe I'm wrong and it is more expensive to manufacture.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Telecaster View Post
    I find it strange, and I am not arguing the truth in it, but it seems really odd that these little instruments would cost twice what a guitar would. I wouldn't think its more difficult or more expensive to manufacture. Perhaps its simply a matter of volume or maybe its simply what people are willing to pay. Or maybe I'm wrong and it is more expensive to manufacture.
    Just read the book of Randy Wood. According to him much more difficult to build than a guitar. He, if anyone, would be an authority on the subject.
    Obviously size doesn't matter. Violins of equal quality cost more than mandolins. Though, I have heard it said that if you call it a fiddle rather than a violin it will get cheaper.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

3. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

It’s perhaps best to think of carved archtop mandolins in relation to carved archtop guitars, not their flattop brethren.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

5. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

also, on the difference between oval and ff hole versions, iirc oval hole sound is easier heard by the player and ff by the audience. also, the eastman does have a truss rod (I just checked) in addition to the radius fretboard.

I will say that whatever you end up getting, you can change the sound way more than you expect (and that you can with a guitar) by changing the strings and pick. So once you decide, you have lots of ability to modify the sound relatively easily within the parameters of the instrument you choose.

In case nobody has mentioned -- mandolins are not small guitars strung upsidedown. If you remember they are their own instrument with entirely different technique needs, you can save yourself some confusion and frustration once you make the jump.

Best of luck!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

7. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

My first mandolin was a kay pawnshop find that my guitar playing wife a guitar player gave me boatloads of crap over buying because I did not know how to play it. About a month later, after I learned a few things she loved it and prefers me to play it over the guitar.

Point being, just get something and get started.

9. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

I would like to thank you all again for the benefit of your wisdom! I have learned a lot from this thread. That guitar still hasn't sold on eBay, 22 watchers. I just dropped the price. Either way I've become impatient and decided to buy something today. My choices have changed slightly and I had a couple extra newbie questions. I'll start with those.

1. What do you call those little black things people stick in the strings behind the bridge?
    2. Several times people have mentioned picks. With guitar I use standard medium gauge. Should I try something different as a newbie to mandolin?
    3. Please suggest a few starter songs that will get my brain out of guitar mode and into mandolin mode!

I am considering 3 mandolin choices.
    1. Kentucky KM250 from the Mandolin Store
    2. Eastman MD305 from the Mandolin Store
    3. Eastman MD315 used from private seller

The Kentucky still screams "I'm what you think of when you think mandolin." That appeals to me at least so far ad my first mandolin goes.

The Eastman MD305, there is a lot of love for this mandolin and admittedly I like its warmer tone in the Mandolin Store videos. But bite and punch are adjectives so many talk about and the Kentucky, at least as near as I can tell from the video, sounds like it would be better for that.

The Eastman MD315 looks really nice. It even has the curly bit at the top but it may need setup work. It will cost about the same as the other 2.

Thanks again!

Edit: Noticed that only the Kentucky has a pick guard. Does that matter, or will those Eastmans show pick damage after a while?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I would like to thank you all again for the benefit of your wisdom! I have learned a lot from this thread. That guitar still hasn't sold on eBay, 22 watchers. I just dropped the price. Either way I've become impatient and decided to buy something today. My choices have changed slightly and I had a couple extra newbie questions. I'll start with those.

1. What do you call those little black things people stick in the strings behind the bridge?
    2. Several times people have mentioned picks. With guitar I use standard medium gauge. Should I try something different as a newbie to mandolin?
    3. Please suggest a few starter songs that will get my brain out of guitar mode and into mandolin mode!

I am considering 3 mandolin choices.
    1. Kentucky KM250 from the Mandolin Store
    2. Eastman MD305 from the Mandolin Store
    3. Eastman MD315 used from private seller

The Kentucky still screams "I'm what you think of when you think mandolin." That appeals to me at least so far ad my first mandolin goes.

The Eastman MD305, there is a lot of love for this mandolin and admittedly I like its warmer tone in the Mandolin Store videos. But bite and punch are adjectives so many talk about and the Kentucky, at least as near as I can tell from the video, sounds like it would be better for that.

The Eastman MD315 looks really nice. It even has the curly bit at the top but it may need setup work. It will cost about the same as the other 2.

Thanks again!

Edit: Noticed that only the Kentucky has a pick guard. Does that matter, or will those Eastmans show pick damage after a while?
    All smart choices for a starter to intermediate mandolin and should play comparably with slight differences. I have owned two 305s and have not owned a km250. Both Eastmans and Kentuckys I have owned played above their paygrade.
    Pickguards provide protection to the finish from pinky plant more so than from pick damage unless you often play intoxicated. I, personally have no need for a pickguard, but often see mandolins owned by others that would have benefited form having had one. My, own thoughts (right or wrong) on a pickguard, is that they may mute sound projection a little.
    Those little things you see on the strings are rubber grommets, available from a good hardware store, to mute sympathetic harmonic tones sourced between the tailpiece and the bridge. A small strip of leather woven between the strings just above the tailpiece will accomplish the same thing.
    Happy Pick'N and kudos for doing research to avoid bad decisions. "It costs $ to go to school", and you have probably saved some $ by doing your research.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

12. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Welcome to the mandolin world, as everyone has said, I 100% recommend going used. Especially now, many people are being financially stressed some are willing to let their mandolins go at very good prices. Go to Reverb and make some offers on mandolins in the $700-$900 range that you like, I guarantee you will get someone to accept if your patient. For example, I picked up a 4 year old custom Gibson F-9 in mint condition for about 50% of the new price.

14. The following members say thank you to kefaragon for this post:

Get the one that is going to make you want to pick it up and play.

If it sticks, you'll likely be getting more soon enough, and any of those three are great starters.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

And the winner is!!!

I don't think I have ever stressed out this much over buying any other instrument! I'm over thinking it at this point. I have decided to get the Eastman md305 because I have found way more people who have commented on their Eastman than the Kentucky km250 by a wide margin and the comments have been nothing but positive. If I had simply gone by the pictures I would have bought the Kentucky. Plus the bag looks really cool! I still like the way it looks.

I want to thank all of you for weighing in and helping me out. Especially Sue, you are awesome!

I found a number of good used deals too but so many people have commented on the importance of the set up that I felt it was worth it to go with the Mandolin Store and make sure its right.

Next step, get the thing and start playing!!!!

Edit: I called the Mandolin Store for recommendations regarding picks and a strap, etc. I spoke with James and he was super helpful, really nice guy. Thank you James!

Now I'm standing at my door saying..."is it here yet, is it here yet...?"
    Last edited by Ash Telecaster; Jan-28-2021 at 4:15pm.

18. The following members say thank you to Ash Telecaster for this post:

As for picks, I too came to mandolin from guitar (acoustic/folk,) and started with my guitar picks. I find many people recommend thicker picks for mandolin than I care for. I prefer less than 1mm picks (0.7 - 0.8mm,) or in Blue Chips TD 35 or TD 40. YMMV. There are many pick threads on this site, and there are also 2 travelling pick samplers (you can look for the threads to sign up) where you can try out a variety of picks on your mandolin to see what sound you prefer. The picks really do make a big difference, much more so than with guitar.

20. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    As for picks, I too came to mandolin from guitar (acoustic/folk,) and started with my guitar picks. I find many people recommend thicker picks for mandolin than I care for. I prefer less than 1mm picks (0.7 - 0.8mm,) or in Blue Chips TD 35 or TD 40. YMMV. There are many pick threads on this site, and there are also 2 travelling pick samplers (you can look for the threads to sign up) where you can try out a variety of picks on your mandolin to see what sound you prefer. The picks really do make a big difference, much more so than with guitar.
    I ordered some picks the sales guy, James, recommended I try out. They are thicker and wider than my guitar picks but I thought it would be good to give them a try.

Picks: I like Golden Gate or Dawg types with rounded corners - for me, it makes tremolo a lot easier.

D.H.

23. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Congrats - great choice on the 305!

When I started on mandolin, also coming from many years of guitar and bass, I was really surprised how big of a difference the selection of pick could make. I signed up for the Traveling Pick Sampler, and that was a great way to try a bunch of different sizes, thicknesses, shapes, etc. I ended up with Wegen TF100 (1mm).

Check out MandoLessons.com for lots of good instructional material, from the basics through advanced techniques, and a whole bunch of lessons on fiddle tunes.

25. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Hi All,

I was referred to Mandolin Cafe by folks on the Telecaster forum. I got some great advice from over there but lots of suggestions I get an account and ask for advice here.

So here I am.

I should start by saying that my timing in buying a Mandolin is based on me selling a guitar I have posted on eBay. Hopefully it will be soon.

I have been playing guitar for 20+ years but am new to Mandolin. My current knowledge of the instrument is mostly based on "Ooo that looks nice" but I know that things like action, tone, and intonation are far more important. I will admit I like the look of that curly bit at the top.

I am trying to cap my spending at less than $500 primarily because I'm not ready to go all in. Thanks to guitar I will be coordinated enough off the jump to not be an absolute beginner but at this point I am only thinking of it as something I will occasionally use for home recordings and for simply messing around for fun. Who knows what the future holds.

Another benefit of capping my spending is it forces me to be thrifty and to get the most for my money.

Some sage advice from TDPRI members is to buy from the Mandolin Store because their included setup. They also recommended avoiding guitar brands like Ibanez, although I'll admit their mandolins look nice in the pictures!

Another question is oval vs ff. Listening to the demo's on The Mandolin Store the oval sounded richer and better to my ears but after reading some posts is seems that the the ff will deliver a brighter more punchy sound that cuts through better and sounds more traditional bluegrass.

Here are a few I have been eyeballing for reference & thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Loar Lm-310

Kentucky KM-150

Kentucky KM-250

Kentucky KM272

Ibanez M522
    I would never buy an Ibanez having had a bad experience with one a few years back that Was an F model with a solid top and laminate sides and back. Horrible, thudding dull sound with no tone or sustain. On the other hand, I have an F Loar with solid top, laminate sides and back that sounds pretty good and is nice to play. Neither competes with my solid wood Eastman or Gretsch Park Avenue Mandolins, but those cost more than $500. Kentucky Mandolins seem pretty good from having played them in stores through the years. The bottom line is in my opinion to try and find an all solid wood mandolin in your price range, even if you have to settle for the A style.

27. The following members say thank you to Rick Nelson for this post:

.... I have decided to get the Eastman md305 ....
    Now I'm standing at my door saying..."is it here yet, is it here yet...?"
    Notice he didn't wait for his guitar to sell. I think he's got it bad.

29. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Notice he didn't wait for his guitar to sell. I think he's got it bad.
    The guys on the Telecaster forum said Mandolin Cafe was their gateway drug!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ash Telecaster For This Useful Post:

I'm one of the guys on the Telecaster forum (TDPRI) that sent Ash over here.

It is amazing to me how quickly these little instruments can wiggle their way into our brains/hearts.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    I'm one of the guys on the Telecaster forum (TDPRI) that sent Ash over here.

It is amazing to me how quickly these little instruments can wiggle their way into our brains/hearts.
    You're a pusher! I'll bet you have a trunk full of Mandolins and trench coat pockets full of sexy mandolin pictures!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ash Telecaster For This Useful Post:

You're a pusher! I'll bet you have a trunk full of Mandolins and trench coat pockets full of sexy mandolin pictures!
    Heh.

Maybe.

But I only have one Telecaster...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0925.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	191690

37. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Heh.

Maybe.

But I only have one Telecaster...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0925.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	191690
    And its a traditional blackguard. Some things just can't be improved upon!

I got the mandolin yesterday. I have to say, the Eastman is way more impressive in person than in the photos. The set up from the Mandolin Store is immaculate. I wish my guitars were set up this nicely.

Now all I have to do is learn how to play it!

How awesome! That sure came in quick!

40. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    How awesome! That sure came in quick!
    I know, it did! Which is great because I was like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for the thing!

And its a traditional blackguard. Some things just can't be improved upon!

I got the mandolin yesterday. I have to say, the Eastman is way more impressive in person than in the photos. The set up from the Mandolin Store is immaculate. I wish my guitars were set up this nicely.

Now all I have to do is learn how to play it!
    Head over to MandoLessons.com for great help with that.

I actually only have two mandolins, a Northfield F5S and a Kimble A (see avatar). I wanted a good one in both body styles. In between those two and my first one (an Eastman 315) was only a Weber Bitterroot, which was a great intermediate step. MAS has been mitigated, but if a Nugget or maybe the right Givens comes along, I'll probably have to attend some meetings...

The electric guitar journey was a lot longer, time-wise, but similar. I started with a mahogany Gibson "The Paul," then a 62 RI Stratocaster, then the Tele. With the PRRI and a simple pedal setup (tuner, OCD, delay/chorus/reverb, Uni-Vibe), it's all I could ever want.

Basses (my primary instrument) are another story.

So you have your Tele and your mandolin, now all you need is this...

https://www.zzounds.com/item--VORFTL...UaAv4kEALw_wcB

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings