Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Wegen Pick

Default Your Wegen Pick

Wegen seems to be popular around here. I went on their web sight to order a couple to try out and there is a bunch of them. I know picks are very personal but I'm curious if there is a majority what everyone likes. I tend to like smaller triangle style picks.

Thank you, Doug

Default Re: Your Wegen Pick

I like the TF100, but then I thin them out a little as I like the sound better thinner. They don't sell anything thinner sooo. If you mandolin is brighter you may like a heavier pick. I tend to choose a pick on how it sounds on my G string as that has a tendency to mute if a heavy pick is used. Now if you have a bright G string and not deep sounding you may like that heavier pick. It is really a personal thing and dependent on what your mandolin sounds like and what you want to hear.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've tried the M100, M150, M200, and Dipper in 1.2 mm. I like the asymmetrical design of the Dipper, because you have both a sharp point and a more rounded point on the same pick. I plan to order the Dipper again in 1.4 mm.

The M series is much more rounded, and I find the M150 works nicely when playing chop chords, but is less suited to melodic lines.

I also appreciate the bevel that Mr Wegen grinds into his picks. If you're familiar with the bevel of a Dunlop Primetone, it's like that, but even more gradual (or wider, I guess?).
    Eastman MD504
    Curt Mangan Monel, Light
    Dunlop Ultex Sharp, 1.14 mm

IG: @standing.wav

1.4 mm on mando, 1.2 mm on guitar/octave mando

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

The TF120 is my favorite pick. I like the black ones better but I dont think there is any science as to why.

The M150 that I have is alright. I like for softer music, open chords, and tremolo playing.

The BG100 is ok. It feels thinner than other 1mm picks I own though. It's my favorite pick for my guitars.

I want to get a Big Dipper for guitar.

Edit: forget about this:

https://gregboyd.com/product/wegen-cf-140/

There is a "CF" model out there. Its triangular like the TF but smaller.
    Last edited by Zach Wilson; Jan-21-2021 at 5:09pm.

I'm a big fan of the M200. Probably my second favorite pick in the world, and I've tried nearly all of them. My current favorite pick is the Gravity Gold Axis made of PEEK.

I also like the Wegen Bluegrass picks for guitar.

Mainly the BG100. Although I have a couple TF 140 and on the right day it sounds great on my Weber. Started with the BG on guitar when they first were offered so I have a bias there.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

The TF140 is my favorite pick. I like the tone and love the rock solid stability in my hand. Some might produce a better tone (Red Bear) or last forever (Blue Chip), but if I had to pick one, the Wegen would be it.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

9. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Thank you. This is why I asked. That CF-140 looks kind of like the shape and size of my small prime tone. I wouldn’t of found this unless you told me.

Thanks again.

[=Zach Wilson;1805541]The TF120 is my favorite pick. I like the black ones better but I dont think there is any science as to why.

The M150 that I have is alright. I like for softer music, open chords, and tremolo playing.

The BG100 is ok. It feels thinner than other 1mm picks I own though. It's my favorite pick for my guitars.

There is a "CF" model out there. Its triangular like the TF but smaller.[/QUOTE]

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by killntime View Post
    Thank you. This is why I asked. That CF-140 looks kind of like the shape and size of my small prime tone. I wouldn’t of found this unless you told me.

Thanks again.

[=Zach Wilson;1805541]The TF120 is my favorite pick. I like the black ones better but I dont think there is any science as to why.

There is a "CF" model out there. Its triangular like the TF but smaller.
    [/QUOTE]

Right on!

TF 100

I get the black ones. They sound....darker.....
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I bought a pack of TF 140 on recommendations for playing a Flatiron 1N, and at the time I was using a BC on my other mandos. Now I am using the TF 140 on my go to mando (my Silverangel) and my BC on my pancake mando .

I regularly pull out my favorite picks and try them all out on my mandos to make sure I'm still liking the way they sound and I always like the TF 140 on the SA.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Blog Entries

The TF140 is my favorite pick, fits very naturally in my hand. The concave middle area with the holes lies perfectly between my thumb pad and index finger. Also prefer the tone over BC. I wish Wegen made one out of the same material as the D’Andrea proplec’s...then we’d really have something.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

To expound, I typically play BC CT 55 or TAD 60 on mando and TAD 40 on guitar, but the TF 140 and 120, respectively, still get rotated in with regularity. They’re great picks, wear very slowly IME, are comparatively inexpensive (to BC and some of the other higher dollar picks out), and grip nicely. I like having the options, but, if Wegen was my only option, I would be happy with them.
    Chuck

I like all of the ones I’ve purchased but like the white ones best because they are easier to find if dropped.

I've tried a few different types, I had a small trianglar one you might like, not sure of the code, but I've settled on the larger triangler one I think it's the TF series. Michel is a lovely guy who has always answered the most mundane question I've come up with and once made a pick to my specification, I had a favourite shape pick (not a Wegen) but liked the feel of the Wegen material so he made me a pick in that shape. Ultimately I like the shape of the TF's but he was willing to try make me something else! Great product, great service and fantastic customer service. Couldn't recomend him enough.

Just a follow-up. I’ve been playing the CF 140 for 5 days or so. I really like it! Pretty much same size as the small triangle primetone. The CF 140 seems to get me close to the same tone as the primetone in a thicker pick which ads a little volume. Anyways, I like it. New favorite pick for now. Thanks for the suggestion!

I really like the BG100. I rotate it with a Bluechip TD40 and can never decide which one I like the best.

I also have some rounded Wegen 1.0's but forget the model name/#. M100 maybe?
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    I really like the BG100. I rotate it with a Bluechip TD40 and can never decide which one I like the best.

I also have some rounded Wegen 1.0's but forget the model name/#. M100 maybe?
    Well, if you can't tell the difference than you better save money and buy Wegen's ! This is why I buy two buck chuck wine !!

I have some TF120s that I've been using lately. I don't think anyone has mentioned that if you change your grip to uncover a couple of the holes in them, there's less wind resistance for faster picking.
    Last edited by Don Grieser; Feb-04-2021 at 10:33pm.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Another vote for TF140.
    Sometimes a TF120.

I got some black ones, but much harder to find when you drop them.

Somebody found one on the counter of a music shop in a bowl of random left-behind picks after a local festival.
    He said, "I know whose that is" and promptly returned it to me.
    Six months after the festival.
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Well, if you can't tell the difference than you better save money and buy Wegen's ! This is why I buy two buck chuck wine !!
    I can tell the difference, sometimes I just can't decide which one I prefer.

When I drank beer, I swapped brands from time to time as well.

Actually, I've been married a few times......
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

I really like the Wegens and keep a couple of these on hand all the time.

https://gregboyd.com/product/wegen-bn-120/

Blog Entries

I am not sure the majority opinion matters much. The way you pick, the mandolin you have, the venues you like to play in, the type of music you like to play, all are a part of what choice you make. And it is perfectly reasonable to have different kinds of picks appropriate to different situations.

I use several different kinds of picks, one for crowded jams, one for more intimate playing, one for classical, others for Irish and traditional, one for bluegrass, for this for that. It all depends.

I like Wegens, I like Blue Chip, I like Primetones,I like Pick Boy, and a few others, in a variety of shapes and thicknesses.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I am loving the TF140 of late.