Thread: Locating previously owned Gibson...

Default Locating previously owned Gibson...

Hello mando lovers!

I'm curious if anyone out there has tried or succeeded in locating a previously owned Mandolin?

I purchased a Gibson F5L in '96, one of the last to come out of the Montana Facility I believe. Unfortunately a few years later I had to sell it and now I would love to have it back. I don't have the serial # or who it was sold to.

Any thoughts on how to locate it?

Default Re: Locating previously owned Gibson...

Without a serial # or name of who you sold it to, it would be pretty tough.
    I've owned mandolins I've sold in the past and have spotted them at jams or onstage. After they change hands a couple of times, you loose track. I have never seen my first good mandolin ( a G.N. Anderson, #24) show up anywhere, not in any discussion group or classified ad. In my case, I would just like to see it or play it as I'm content with my current batch.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timothylanderson View Post
    I purchased a Gibson F5L in '96, one of the last to come out of the Montana Facility I believe. Unfortunately a few years later I had to sell it and now I would love to have it back. I don't have the serial # or who it was sold to. Any thoughts on how to locate it?
    Besides starting a thread like this one, perhaps you could post a WTB ad in the classifieds with any distinguishing marks or characteristics?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

If you were the original owner and registered it you might try contacting Gibson and see if you could get the serial number. Without the serial number or something really distinguishing not sure how you would every track it down?