Thread: Article: Winter Virtual Mandolin Camp with Alan Bibey, Don Stiernberg, David Surette and Matt Flinner

Blog Entries

Default Article: Winter Virtual Mandolin Camp with Alan Bibey, Don Stiern

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Default Re: Article: Winter Virtual Mandolin Camp with Alan Bibey, Don St

Signed up, this should be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Signed up, this should be very good.
    The summer one was. David was a pleasant surprise for a non Celtic guy. Fan of Alan, Don and Matt.

And no audible noodling like a camp or workshop
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Wanna learn Irish/Celtic/Breton, the David Surette is the MAN! The triplet/ornament king, and a heck of a cittern player.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Plus Matt and I are having a contest to see who can be the scruffiest-looking mando player! I think I can beat him.

I'm signed up and ready to compete on the scruffiest!

Hey, for you Celtic AND non-Celtic cats, these are the workshops I am teaching, in case it helps encourage you to check it out next weekend.

Modal tunes in Celtic Music (Friday): We will look at the Dorian and Mixolydian modes both as they relate to their parent major scale, and their individual qualities, structure, and mood. The tunes will be dance tunes from Brittany: a Laride, Pach-pi Koz, and the march Son Ar Rost (The Roast Tune).

Triplet ornamentation (Saturday): We will learn how to execute (without massacring) the single, double, and triple-note picked triplets, using both an Irish reel (Devanney's Goat) and an Irish jig (The Rolling Waves). We will look at how to place them on different beats, and how to use them tastefully.

2 and 3-string chords (Sunday): Using both the major scale and the Dorian and Mixolydian modes as starting points, we will demonstrate different strum and pick patterns for accompaniment, both for the mandolin and the cittern/bouzouki/octave mandolin. The chords will make extensive use of open drone strings, and we will use the tunes from the other two workshops as examples to accompany.