Thread: Help identifying and advice regarding Breedlove OF Quartz

Question Help identifying and advice regarding Breedlove OF Quartz

Hi!

Beginnerish looking to upgrade from my old piece of wood to a more long term mandolin. Problem is that Stockholm isn't exactly el dorado for finding mandolins, new or used.

Found this Breedlove OF Quartz and from what I have been able to read it has almost exclusively positive reviews. However, when looking it up I haven't come across a single breedlove in this finish. Anyone has a clue what it is? Would also appreciate any recommendation on if the price is ok or out of this world. Do take into account that mandolins tend to be a bit more expensive across the board in Sweden as they are pretty hard to get hold of (other than old Levin)

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockh...z_usa/93463796

Default Re: Help identifying and advice regarding Breedlove OF Quartz

I've not seen a just red one. Most seem to be more of a red sunburst. It does look original to the instrument, though. Maybe a custom order for someone?

The price is not out of line for an OF Quartz model. As you say, prices tend to be higher in Sweden. FWIW, I just did a quick check on Reverb.com and there is only one mandolin listed for sale in Sweden, and none in Norway, Denmark or Finland. If you can try it, and it sounds good, it would probably be worth picking up, IMO.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Thank you for your answer. Yeah, thats what stumped me as well. I guess it could also be the ligthing.

I'm going to try it out as soon as it is pandemically possible and I'll ask him as well.

4. The following members say thank you to Soulacious for this post:

I have an ‘09 Breedlove, same model, and it is the same red tone but it has a fairly dark sunburst on both the front and back (about an inch all around). It’s pretty distinct such that it would show up even in poor light, I think. Maybe there is some variation between years or just from one mandolin to the next. BTW, I love my Breedlove. I am satisfied enough that I have no desire to upgrade, after owning it several years.

I think you'll like it.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Additional question. Current owner bought it from Elderly a couple of years ago and has barely played it. What are the odds I'll have to find someone to do a proper set up on it or is it more likely that its already set up well?
    Last edited by Soulacious; Jan-19-2021 at 9:43am.

More than likely if it has not been mucked around with the setup should be ok.
    Nic Gellie

I am pretty sure it is a Breedlove Premier OF mandolin. They coloured their mandolins like that in the later years.
    Nic Gellie

that seems unlikely as it has a different head shape from a premier

Got the serial from he seller and emailed with breedlove, probably the best )not even) customer support I ever got. Sent me the original build cuard. Aparently it was a standard finish called "satin" and "deep toner"

12. The following members say thank you to Soulacious for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulacious View Post
    Hi!

Beginnerish looking to upgrade from my old piece of wood to a more long term mandolin. Problem is that Stockholm isn't exactly el dorado for finding mandolins, new or used.

Found this Breedlove OF Quartz and from what I have been able to read it has almost exclusively positive reviews. However, when looking it up I haven't come across a single breedlove in this finish. Anyone has a clue what it is? Would also appreciate any recommendation on if the price is ok or out of this world. Do take into account that mandolins tend to be a bit more expensive across the board in Sweden as they are pretty hard to get hold of (other than old Levin)

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockh...z_usa/93463796
    I own a Breedlove American ff and it is a great sounding mandolin. You didn’t say what year it is made, but they are generally well regarded mandolins. I personally don’t care for the Crossover series, but any of the Bend, Oregon made are good.

Well now I know it is a 2009, didn't know before.

It will be a good one. I had an FF from that period. It has now gone to northern Spain.
    Nic Gellie