Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tone bar question

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Tone bar question

A bit late, I somehow missed some replies in this interesting thread. We derailed a bit as OP asked about tuning strategies and thicknesses of bars. I can only relate to what I do and what I think folks at Gibson did on Loars. I believe they just carved them to numbers from succesful prototype(s). There is just too little variation to warrant any tuning strategy (that would result in variations in heights of bars) and hypothesis of just target thickness seems to be too strong.
    I managed to dig out some of my old files that I probably never posted in the thread about Loar bars so I post them here, someone may be interested. These are two Loars of the first batches... Both have the same position and size of bars, their shape is slightly different from later Loars, the comparison drawing is mid 23 Loar and seems to be consistent with most april '23 through '24 Loars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bars70286.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	191867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bars71628.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	191868  
    Adrian

2. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Tone bar question

To answer Roger's question I add a link to panel presentation of "Strad 3D" which shows direction to where the modern violin making is going (this is quite old from 2010 or so). Hutchins was a pioneer in scientific, theoretical study and measurements of vibrations of plates etc. but that didn't prove to be useful in practical work of the makers. Now they concentrate on study of modal analysis of whole violins and various much more sophisticated methods or combination thereof. Some of the recent award winners for tone are from ranks of followers of the most recent research.
    here is link to the article: https://www.reghviolins.com/publicat...pp.187-230.pdf
    Adrian