Thread: Mandolin/guitar collab

Default Mandolin/guitar collab

So I'm thinking of finding a guitar player to play pubs and breweries, there's a ton of them in East Tn. Probably just celtic stuff with a fiddle tune mixed in here and there. Have any of you done this and how was it received? Here's short clip of what I'm talking about...is the mandolin playing passable to try this endeavor?

https://mixcord.co/acapella/p/g3-7H0ZI-bUIyO1nDcxgGQ/

Default Re: Mandolin/guitar collab

Sounds good to me, though I'm familiar with "Swallowtail" and jigs generally played a lot faster by both professionals and amateurs, but that may be a matter of taste or regional styles. Nice clean tone!
    e.g.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgiH...lesticks-Topic
    Last edited by Ranald; Jan-16-2021 at 9:11pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Nice steady playing, a good start. But just MHO, but if you are going to play out with Irish trad, you are going to need a faster tempo and all the typical trad ornaments, like this video. The really good trad groups will go even faster.

I would agree with Ranald and John about the tempo the tunes are played at in sessions (and even at home). In the sessions I attend here at home with a strong mix of Scottish and Irish tunes and instrumentation including mandolin, fiddle, guitar, accordion, concertina, whistles and small pipes the pace is more what you hear on John's example. We often have discussion about the tempo of the 6/8 pipe marches that are a staple of our repertoires, those of us who play at pipe tempo saying the fiddle and accordion players are playing too fast! The pipe marches, though in 6/8 time, are very different from the jigs, and Scottish jigs differ from Irish jigs, so there is room for manoeuvre, but certainly I would say you will have to get your tempo up.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

We played a couple of years as a mandolin/octave mandolin and guitar duet. Bluegrass, Celtic, old timey and of course a lot of bluegrass standards. We had a great time and we were always well received. After a while we started building the band back around us to complete the ‘full’ sound of some songs and tunes. It was a blast.
    Play em like you know em!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesguy63 View Post
    So I'm thinking of finding a guitar player to play pubs and breweries, there's a ton of them in East Tn. Probably just celtic stuff with a fiddle tune mixed in here and there. Have any of you done this and how was it received? Here's short clip of what I'm talking about...is the mandolin playing passable to try this endeavor?

https://mixcord.co/acapella/p/g3-7H0ZI-bUIyO1nDcxgGQ/
    Keep practicing and you will eventually get that tempo up to where it should be ! Good job !