Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Hi Everyone

  1. #1

    Default Hi Everyone

    Hi Everyone,

    I thought I would say "Hi" for my first post on this forum.

    I have got my first Mandolin in October and have been taking lessons "Virtual" for 3 months.

    Eric

  2. #2
    Registered User Ranald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,007

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome to the Cafe, Eric. Please tell us a bit about your instrument and musical interests. If you have any questions, there a lots of helpful people here, generous with their knowledge.
    Last edited by Ranald; Jan-14-2021 at 7:25pm. Reason: typo
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

  3. #3
    Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canterbury, Kent
    Posts
    786
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Hi Eric, I'm sure you'll find this place informative and helpful on your mandolin journey - and friendly, too. Don't forget to have a look at the social groups - there's one for newbies, one for learning new tunes, and groups about pretty much any style of music and many different makers.

  4. #4
    Registered User Joey Anchors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    974

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Eric, welcome and congratulations on starting the journey into mandolin!

    You’ll find a lot of information here. Please feel free to ask anything.
    2020 Waterloo WL-M “SOL”
    Pyramid - flatwounds


    Blues Mando Social Group - member

  5. #5
    Be Wild Zach Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kent, Washington
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome

    Happy pickin', Zach

  6. #6
    Timothy Tim Logan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Shutesbury, MA
    Posts
    586

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome Eric. You will find that the Cafe is an unbelievably great resource for all things mandolin. The members are kind and generous with there knowledge.

    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

    1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)
    2020 Burgin Shanghai Octave Mandolin

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    2,555

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome to our wild, wacky world, Eric. Be prepared for some great advice, a lot of fun, some sore fingers and some frustration as you learn to master the mandolin.

  8. #8
    Mandolin Player trodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southeast Iowa, U.S.A.
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome Eric!
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

  9. #9

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Eric,
    Welcome to the world of 8 strings! You have indeed landed in the best of all music forums. Stay well!

  10. #10
    Registered User Pappyrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome! I hope you enjoy your mandolin journey as much as I have. This site is a gold mine of everything you will ever want to know about mandolins. It has been a huge help to me.
    Richard

    Eastman 305 mandolin
    Martin D16 guitar
    OME 11" banjo
    Pisgah 12" banjo

  11. #11

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Welcome to the Cafe, Eric. Please tell us a bit about your instrument and musical interests. If you have any questions, there a lots of helpful people here, generous with their knowledge.
    Thanks Ranald! I picked up a Collings MT Blacktop. I listen all kinds of music; Country, Bluegrass, Folk and Pop.

  12. The following members say thank you to EricInYYC for this post:

    Ranald 

  13. #12

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    Hi Eric, I'm sure you'll find this place informative and helpful on your mandolin journey - and friendly, too. Don't forget to have a look at the social groups - there's one for newbies, one for learning new tunes, and groups about pretty much any style of music and many different makers.
    Thanks Gelsenbury! I will check out the social groups.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    Eric, welcome and congratulations on starting the journey into mandolin!

    You’ll find a lot of information here. Please feel free to ask anything.
    Thanks Joey!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Welcome

    Happy pickin', Zach
    Thanks Zach!

  14. #13
    🎶 Play Pretty 🎶 Greg Connor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Hello Eric,

    Glad to see you share our enthusiasm for the Mandolin. I have found this to be a friendly and supportive group.

    Greg

  15. #14

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Welcome Eric. You will find that the Cafe is an unbelievably great resource for all things mandolin. The members are kind and generous with there knowledge.
    Thanks Tim!

  16. #15

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Welcome to our wild, wacky world, Eric. Be prepared for some great advice, a lot of fun, some sore fingers and some frustration as you learn to master the mandolin.
    Thanks Denny, I am still working on stretching my fingers and building calluses

    - - - Updated - - -

    Thanks Trodgers!

  17. #16

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Eric,
    Welcome to the world of 8 strings! You have indeed landed in the best of all music forums. Stay well!
    Thanks Rob!

  18. #17

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Pappyrich View Post
    Welcome! I hope you enjoy your mandolin journey as much as I have. This site is a gold mine of everything you will ever want to know about mandolins. It has been a huge help to me.
    Thanks Pappyrich!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Connor View Post
    Hello Eric,

    Glad to see you share our enthusiasm for the Mandolin. I have found this to be a friendly and supportive group.

    Greg
    Thanks Greg!

  19. #18
    Moderator JEStanek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    14,035
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome to the Cafe. You've found the best mandolin resource in the world. Enjoy the playing.

    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

    + Give Blood, Save a Life +

  20. #19

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Welcome to the Cafe. You've found the best mandolin resource in the world. Enjoy the playing.

    Jamie
    Thanks Jamie

  21. #20

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome to the Cafe and Forum, Eric. This is a fun place to hang out.

  22. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,563

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome !

  23. #22
    Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    13,378
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Hi Everyone

    Welcome to the Café! Always good to add another voice to the choir, or mandolin to the orchestra. (Look up "mandolin orchestras," if you wonder what that means. Fascinating period in musical history.)

    I'm just a bit curious - are you from NYC, and your handle includes a typo? Or does YYC refer to something else altogether?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Welcome Eric. You will find that the Cafe is an unbelievably great resource for all things mandolin. The members are kind and generous with there knowledge.
    That is all quite true. Many members are also often given to gentle tweaks and nudges of humor, along with their knowledge. And many of us share a love/hate relationship with spell check, in that we love to hate it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

    Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

    Blues Mando Social Group
    Gibson Mandolins Social Group
    North Florida Mandolin Players Social Group

    My favorite bluegrass band

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •