Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apollo Picks !

Default Re: Apollo Picks !

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I have casein by several other makers...do you find the Apollo casein to be different from other caseins?
    I am really enjoying my peek picks.
    First Casein I have ever owned so no way to compare to other Casein's ! I was only comparing to the Peek pick.

2. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

I now have two Apollo casein picks (blue and mandarin orange in 1.75mm/standard bevel) and they are PERFECTION. They sound great on all three of my mandolins, surprisingly. They have very good volume and the least pick noise of any picks I have used. I have not tried the Peek or the Mike Marshall signature picks yet, so I cannot comment on those. These casein picks tame the slightly biting tone on the upstrokes of my E course on one of my mandolins (my most expensive mandolin (sugar maple and Adirondack spruce) and yet do not dull the E courses of my other two mandolins. They feel great in my hand, glide off of the strings extremely well, and produce the warmest, fullest, yet articulate tone I can imagine. Casein won't last forever, of course, and you have to take care of it--wipe it off, never let it go through the wash (never putting put one in your pocket and using a case pouch instead solves that matter for me) and I do not leave them in the strings which can score and weaken them. I have another brand (1.5mm) casein pick that I love and it is probably 10 years old with a lot of scores in the middle, but I happen to not be hard on casein picks and I re-polish the points about twice a year. Just a little thicker--1.75mm sounds best to me on my mandolins and it does not really feel thicker in my hand, which surprised me. I have another Apollo pick on order from Nik (just like these) and now I know that I will never regret spending a whopping $40 on it. I have found casein to be easily re-shaped and polished easily, so that is another upside for me. I happen to be "blessed" with very sensitive to tone ears and it drives me crazy. I am also very picky about volume, attack, and feel in the hand, and I have to use a pick that will somewhat stick to my skin so that there is less likelihood that I will drop them because I play with a very loose grip. Is it crazy to pay $40 for a pick? Maybe, but then again, fiddlers are very picky about their bows and they cost a whole lot more dough. Picks and bows make a HUGE difference in the sound, volume, and playability.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheryl Watson For This Useful Post:

I have played extensively with three Apollo picks our band's guitarist picked up from Nik's regular factory seconds sales and enjoyed them. I decided to place a custom order when Nik re-opened his shop and did so on March 15th. I received the pick on May 2nd.

I am debating whether or not to send it back, mostly because the aesthetics are dissimilar to what was presented in the sample images. About half of my pick's overall area is fully transparent, lacking the gorgeous mosaic look. This is especially disappointing because I chose the mosaic look after talking to Nik over email, where he guaranteed that would be the result. Nik has a very generous 40 day return window, but I'm curious to know what other people think of the final result. Is it worth returning the pick over?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220502-171412_Instagram Lite.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	680.0 KB 
ID:	200978

Name:	20220502_165900.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	200979

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 9.57.04 AM.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	200980
    1913 Gibson F2 (Blacktop)
    2022 Big Muddy Mandola (M-16, Ziricote back and sides, Adirondack top)
    2022 Kentucky KM-120 (Elevated fretboard conversion)
    1940s Kay Banjolin
    1930s Martin Style 0 Ukulele
    1920s Vega Senator Plectrum Banjo (GDAE octave mando tuning)

After testing out CT55s, the D'Addario Chris Thile pick, Pro Plecs, Grisman Dawg picks, T-Shells I use with my guitars, and the Apollo Mike Marshall pick, the Apollo John Reischman pick is far and away my favorite. Glides through the strings smoothly, no clicking, feels great in my fingers.

I recently went back and re-tested all those other picks to see if they've grown on me and the Reischman is still my fave by a long shot.

I have a variety of Apollo picks (and the other high-end picks) and will second the motion that Apollo John Reischman pick is far and away my favorite. To my ear it just sounds the best of all I've tried, feels the best.

That said, I'd also keep the multi-colored pick, looks fine to my eye. I'm sure Nik would replace it if you asked - he's a great guy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Points View Post
    That said, I'd also keep the multi-colored pick, looks fine to my eye. I'm sure Nik would replace it if you asked - he's a great guy to work with.
    I emailed him, but he didn't offer a replacement, only a return (with shipping at my expense). I'm trying it out during band rehearsal today and will probably decide whether or not to return it based on how it feels and sounds compared to my CT55.
    1913 Gibson F2 (Blacktop)
    2022 Big Muddy Mandola (M-16, Ziricote back and sides, Adirondack top)
    2022 Kentucky KM-120 (Elevated fretboard conversion)
    1940s Kay Banjolin
    1930s Martin Style 0 Ukulele
    1920s Vega Senator Plectrum Banjo (GDAE octave mando tuning)

When I first ordered a couple of picks from Nik, the ones he sent were thinner than I requested so I sent them back (the cost of a postage stamp) and he made new ones the right thickness. I had a chance to play an MM pick that a friend had and just ordered one today.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Just an FYI to anyone interested. Nik has an “already made” sale going on that started yesterday. There were 64 available, not sure how many are left. I’m looking forward to trying out the one that I grabbed!
    https://www.apollopicks.com/

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    After testing out CT55s, the D'Addario Chris Thile pick, Pro Plecs, Grisman Dawg picks, T-Shells I use with my guitars, and the Apollo Mike Marshall pick, the Apollo John Reischman pick is far and away my favorite. Glides through the strings smoothly, no clicking, feels great in my fingers.

I recently went back and re-tested all those other picks to see if they've grown on me and the Reischman is still my fave by a long shot.
    Has anyone ordered the Reischman pick with John’s bevels and, if so, how did they work? I was always under the impression that his attack was unconventional, due to his thumb, and wonder if his wear pattern would be different than most right handed pickers.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

ph - i got one of the Reischman's w/ his left hand bevel. Since so many jazz guitarists also play with the back edge (left-handed to a righty) i thought it wouldn't be a big deal to make that change, as i kinda pick that way anyhow. Well, it turns out that i really don't play like that as much as i thought i did. It does sound good and the tone isn't a whole lot different than the 1mm Wegan with that shape, but it does require the posture that John uses to make it work. It's kind of a novelty to me, but i have a metric load of picks and will probably offer it in the classifieds someday. i might like to try the Reischman with right hand bevel, tho'.

13. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

I have four of Nik's casein picks. I find the quality to be great and the sound is warm with very little pick noise

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    When I first ordered a couple of picks from Nik, the ones he sent were thinner than I requested so I sent them back (the cost of a postage stamp) and he made new ones the right thickness. I had a chance to play an MM pick that a friend had and just ordered one today.
    I should get it tomorrow.
    Charley

I got my MM Apollo pick yesterday and discovered that with my playing style the E and A strings were very weak. The pick is somewhat larger than I am used to but I can adjust to that. All of my other picks have a right hand bevel on the points so I sanded in a RH bevel on the MM, polished it and wow, what a difference. The E and A strings came alive. This is a very nice pick with very little "click".
    Charley

17. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post: