Thread: Tone-Gard Alternative

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Tone-Gard Alternative

I'm a fan of the Tone-Gard and have one on both my SA and my Jacobson, but I didn't want to try to invest in one for my recent flat top build because I'm not sure it would have fit right, but I did want something to do the similar job. So I wanted to share this with you guys cuz I'm pleased with how this turned out. I cannot claim that this is my own invention because I saw someone else posted a pic a while back of something like this (can't remember who) that they had made for their own mando which imitated the effect of the Tone-Gard, but a little simpler. Thus, I reproduced it for my pancake mando. It operates and looks a lot like a shoulder rest on a violin. In the spirit of the mandolin armrest and the violin shoulder rest, we can call it a Gut Rest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8305493E-1D7B-4165-A169-77A8DE7B2B30.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	639.9 KB 
ID:	191234 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7265A760-03C8-4F18-8BE6-BE8737088DB6.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	591.7 KB 
ID:	191235 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF3A08E1-7206-4684-B03E-69409A31F483.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	191236

In case you're interested: it's a piece of mahogany primarily shaped with the bandsaw and a pair of "Hill Style" viola chinrest brackets from International Violin.
    Last edited by soliver; Jan-11-2021 at 12:44am.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

2. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Frost 

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Tone-Gard Alternative

Nice one. I've seen similar by E.Kristufek (Czech maker) but he used bent stave and for simplicity just two woodscrews into mandolin. I know that mandolin was experimental one so he just included the guard in the whole design (featuring also his version of the famous "Mickey mouse Ear" for simplicity)
    Adrian

you can just buy the hardware for the chin rest and leave the chin rest part out to look better.

Quote Originally Posted by kjbllc View Post
    you can just buy the hardware for the chin rest and leave the chin rest part out to look better.
    I think you may be looking at his armrest.

Nice job, Spencer. For those who are of the standing, strap-using crowd, what about going fore and aft from the two strap attachment points, if there’s a second one on the neck heel, instead, and avoiding those clamps? A step and some padding to keep the thing from tilting should be easy too.
    I’m a sitting down, no strap person myself, but have been trying to figure out a better way to hold a bowlback for some time - no results so far.

The best solution for your "Belly Guard" issues:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	191295  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjbllc View Post
    Yea, I agree with Jonathan, something tells me you're looking at the wrong thing in the picture. I do have an ebony armrest on the mandolin. What's in discussion here is the mahogany bar across the back that is doing the job of a Tone Gard. Here's a frontal view of the instrument so you can see the armrest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB91C495-DDC6-4FE4-9996-FA00027542AD.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	544.3 KB 
ID:	191296

And I am aware that violin/viola chinrest hardware is available for purchase sans chinrest. That is what I used both to hold on this "Gut Rest" as well as all of my armrests

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Nice job, Spencer. For those who are of the standing, strap-using crowd, what about going fore and aft from the two strap attachment points, if there’s a second one on the neck heel, instead, and avoiding those clamps? A step and some padding to keep the thing from tilting should be easy too.
    I’m a sitting down, no strap person myself, but have been trying to figure out a better way to hold a bowlback for some time - no results so far.
    Thanks Richard, this actually does the job pretty well and I don't mind the clamps too much. I was mostly imitating something I had seen someone else do as stated in the original post. I like the TG and my "Gut Rest" while sitting too (I play both sitting and standing).

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    The best solution for your "Belly Guard" issues:
    40 hrs a week plus 4 kids makes working out a luxury... at least that's my excuse for not doing it.
    Last edited by soliver; Jan-13-2021 at 8:47pm.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Nice! That's Ron McMillan's idea. Much more elegant than a Tone-Gard.

10. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

".......40 hrs a week plus 4 kids makes working out a luxury... at least that's my excuse for not doing it...."

If only it were a luxury; your life literally depends upon it!
    Last edited by j. condino; Jan-14-2021 at 2:16am.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.