Thread: Octave strings options?

Default Octave strings options?

Does anyone know of an easily accessible string set for short-scale octave (mandola strings) in a material other than phosphur bronze?
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Default Re: Octave strings options?

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    Does anyone know of an easily accessible string set for short-scale octave (mandola strings) in a material other than phosphur bronze?
    I have used stainless sets from here for mandolin, mandola, and 'cello. They make sets for OMs, too

http://emando.com/shop/index.htm

Thank you. Those string gauges are so close to what I'm looking for that I think some field testing is in order.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Thank you. Those string gauges are so close to what I'm looking for that I think some field testing is in order.
    You are welcome. Happy hunting.

Al

Based on the title I'm assuming you're looking to use octave pairs vs unison strings on a mandola. There are two simple ways to do this. I end up posting this a few times every year:

1. The octave higher string should be half the diameter of the regular string. Single strings in loop or ball end are available on-line and at most music stores.

2. Buy two sets of whatever set of strings you want. Pair a regular C with a D tuned to C one octave higher. Pair the G with an A tuned to G one octave higher. Pair an E from a mandolin set tuned to D one octave higher. I wouldn't try to octave pair your A string.

FWIW I've contacted three major US string manufacturers who told me there is essentially no difference between various plain strings other than diameter. Since most of your octave strings will be plain steel (not wound) it doesn't matter if you're using phosphor bronze, 80/20, aluminum bronze, monel, etc.

If you're simply looking for mandola or octave mandolin strings, I highly recommend Curt Mangan. I'm using their phosphor bronze, but they also make other alloys.