Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String shortage!?

Default String shortage!?

I have been searching the web like crazy trying to find elixir strings. (medium) I ended up calling elixir and asking and they said due to shutdowns and such they had to cut out a few strings in production and mandolin strings happend to be one of them. does anyone have a plug on some sktechy websites that no one knows about and may be on stock? thanks!

Default Re: String shortage!?

Juststrings seems to have them now, at least the nanoweb ones. But I couldn't find them a few weeks ago and ended up buying something else.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

There are lots of shortages these days in everything. I went to three stores in my town the other day to find some bananas for some reason. Good luck on your search for the perfect elixir.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Saw some the other day in a UK shop (Richtone Music) ...... and they’re in the sale!

I don't think Elixir builds strings. The buy them from (X) and they coat them. If (X) is having supply or labor problems they probably will cut discounted sub-contract sales before cutting their own Brand sales.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

How was it in the 40's, during WW2?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Gr8, This threads gonna cause everyone to buy up the strings!

Just kidding....

That’s how it seems to work with everything else though.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    The 40s ended 35 years before d’Addario started making strings. I suspect that, back in those days, people put new strings on when they broke; that’s certainly what we did in the 60s.

Really, how relevant is that question? Would ‘better than the 1750’s’ be a good answer?

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I have the habit of buying a packet of strings every time I visit a bricks and mortar music store, just to "pay" something for my time poking around. As a result I have a massive emergency chest of strings. I am ready for mando-string apocalypse.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Really, how relevant is that question? Would ‘better than the 1750’s’ be a good answer?
    I suspect it’s relevant because, during WW2 most manufacturing was to support the war effort. Something called the War Production Board. I would venture to guess that would include the production of mandolin strings?

-Best
    Scott

15. The following members say thank you to SWS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SWS View Post
    I suspect it’s relevant because, during WW2 most manufacturing was to support the war effort. Something called the War Production Board. I would venture to guess that would include the production of mandolin strings?

-Best
    Suggesting that there have been other periods of shortage provides no information or insight into the current situation except to say ‘it occurs sometimes’.

That’s not particularly helpful to me. Ymmv

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

17. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I don’t know how it was then but, I would like to think people helped each other out where they could.

To the OP- I have a “new” box of Elixir Medium, Nanoweb. If those will work for you, they’re yours. Full disclosure, they’re probably 8+ years old. I don’t know if they go “stale” or whatnot so free sounds fair. PM me if interested.

Best
    Last edited by SWS; Jan-07-2021 at 11:02pm.
    Scott

19. The following members say thank you to SWS for this post:

no way man thanks!! ill pm you!

they do appear to be in stock but when you go to checkout it says its for "backorder"

im not sure bud. what strings did you use back then?

Quote Originally Posted by killntime View Post
    Gr8, This threads gonna cause everyone to buy up the strings!

Just kidding....

That’s how it seems to work with everything else though.
    they were already gone when i posted this lol

Elixir mandolin strings are still not available. I have pretty much settled on those strings, so it figures that they are unobtainable. XS strings are...OK.

So i noticed that some of their other strings for other instruments are back on the market, but not the mandolin strings, so i actually emailed the company to ask about the status, see if they are discontinued. Unbelievably, someone replied immediately. Mandolin strings will be back, but as i understand it, not soon. Not in the next couple of months, and nothing more specific than that. But they "WILL be back."

I hope this isn't out of order but I have three sets of Elixir Nanoweb .011-.040 mandolin strings that are still in their original boxes but must be at least 10 or 11 years old. If anyone wants them they can have them but I'd want want to be reimbursed for the cost of postage.

Maybe Elixirs will hold up well even after a decade, not sure. They've been sitting in a box next to my mandolin case for all that time. Back in the day, I bought three extra sets of Elixirs then promptly discovered T-I flatwounds and never looked back!
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brent Hutto For This Useful Post:

So we’re now at a year and a half or more since Elixir Mando strings were last available. I get the company’s need to prioritize during these challenging times, but c’mon, isn’t it about time for them to throw us a bone already?

In the unlikely event anyone out there has some light gauge Elixirs they aren’t planning on using, please give me a holler and I’ll gladly buy them from you. My body chemistry kills strings super quick and there aren’t really any other good, coated light gauge options out there that I’ve found.

Elixirs are coated with Goretex. That may be the supply problem.

I feel your pain.

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Here’s a dumb question: has anyone tried to contact them directly? Or even some of the string retailers? There must be some explanation or idea of when they will be back in stock.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Here’s a dumb question: has anyone tried to contact them directly? Or even some of the string retailers? There must be some explanation or idea of when they will be back in stock.
    Yes, there is another thread on that. Basically Elixir have said they are prioritizing the production of the most popular strings and are not producing others for the time being. No exact timeline on when mando strings will be back, but they will be back. Apparently. Someday.

An excellent way to winnow away their customer base. Frankly I only used them on my National but I am sure I can find a substitute easily enough.

I find with some companies you just have to make more noise and if you have a slightly sympathetic ear you may get action. If enough Elixir mandolin string fans contact them they might pull some strings. I guess what is puzzling is if they make those gauges for guitars or not. If so they could put together custom sets. Gotta be a way…

Bombard them until they get the hint!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Amish Andy View Post
    I have been searching the web like crazy trying to find elixir strings. (medium) I ended up calling elixir and asking and they said due to shutdowns and such they had to cut out a few strings in production and mandolin strings happend to be one of them. does anyone have a plug on some sktechy websites that no one knows about and may be on stock? thanks!
    they are not the only company whose strings are hard to get ...i usually order
    D' ADARIO BY THE BOX there is 10 sets to a box.....not any more all ya can get are 3 packs so i ordered 3....3 packs ...what happened!!!!!!!