Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastman MD-305 feedback

Default Eastman MD-305 feedback

would like to know feedback about that mandolin and if it would be worth the extra money for the MD-505

Default Re: Eastman MD-305 feedback

After careful setup, the playability and sound are about the same. Differences are:

Cheap tuners vs. nice ones. $25
    Stamped cheap tailpiece v. cast one. $55
    Matt finish $50
    Gig bag vs. hard case $40

Looks like $170 worth of difference, just estimating. List $500 v. $750. Take 3/4 of that $250 difference, get $187.50. Looks to me like the MD305 and MD505 are the same spec "value" per $$$. Personally, I dislike the cheap tailpiece and matt finish and the tuners and the gig bag. But upgrading those costs about the same as buying the MD505 that has them. If you don't mind the cheaper fittings, finish, & bag, it's the same kind of good deal.
    Stephen Perry

I purchased a MD305 in December 2010 from Stephen at giannaviolins.com. I couldn't be happier. I like the matt finish. It looks like it has a little age on it. I think the only advantage the cast tailpiece of the 505 is easier string changes. As for the tuners, this mandolin tunes easily and holds its tune very well. I would rather have a hard case than a gig bag, but the gig bag that comes with the 305 is of high quality. The tone of my 305 is fantastic--deep and throaty. The set up that Stephen gave it is great, and set up for these instruments is key. Basically, the 305 is the same instrument as the 505 without the finer appointments. If those finer appointments are important to you, go with the 505. If they're not, you won't be disappointed with the 305 with a good set up.
    There's a fine line between stupid and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Eastman 305
    Kentucky 150
    '65 Gibson J-50
    '63 Epiphone Century
    Rickenbacker 330/12
    Fender Jazz Bass
    Fretless Fender Jazz Bass
    Custom made Teles (by me)

I just bought the 505 less than a month ago - if you're going to upgrade those things at any point, I would get the 505. If not, then save the extra money. I ended up paying less than what the 305 cost because I traded my ephiphone, and I had looked at a 605 the day before that was out of my price range. I don't know what I would have done if the store had the 300 series, but I don't think you can go wrong with Eastman. Here the hard case seems to come with the 305 and also the difference between the two is $150. NFI
    Chris
    Eastman MD505

I bought a MD305 a couple of months ago, and I think it's an excellent instrument.

The look and the tone are just right for what I was looking for, and personally I don't need another hard case cluttering up the place

The only thing I might change is the tailpiece, but other than that I really like it.

I like the finish of the 305/315. I bought my 515 over a 315 because the 315 had "backwards" tuners for some reason and I didn't want that. I later went back and played another 315 and the tuners went the right way, so perhaps it was a defect? Too bad, I really liked the finish on the 315....

thanks guy`s like to ear that......what would be a direct replacement tailpiece that i could buy when getting the mandolin?

You could buy an Eastman tailpiece, the cast one. At least I have some. I don't know how widely distributed they are.
    Stephen Perry

Just want to chime in also regarding my experience with a 315 that I owned. I compared it side by side to a 515 at the time and they sound extremely similar. In fact, because of the thinner matt finish that the 315 has, it even sound a tad more open out of the gate than the 515. So being a money pinching shopper that I am, I went for the 315.

However, there were a few things that I would caution potential buyers. Some of them had been mentioned already:

- The cheaper, backward tuners were a big hassle for me. Basically you turn the knob clockwise to tune the pitch up, and turn it counterclockwise to tune the pitch down. I replaced them immediately with Grovers within the week.

- The matt finish scratches VERY easily. I used the mandolin in a rock band for a few months, and every other day I'd finish another scratch on it that I didn't know where it came from. The glossy coating on a 515 offers much better protection in my opinion.

Other than that, I absolutely loved the 315 that I had and enjoyed it thoroughly. And I would imagine the 305 would be an equally wonderful and well made mandolin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post

However, there were a few things that I would caution potential buyers. Some of them had been mentioned already:

- The cheaper, backward tuners were a big hassle for me. Basically you turn the knob clockwise to tune the pitch up, and turn it counterclockwise to tune the pitch down. I replaced them immediately with Grovers within the week.

I'm confused. Wouldn't the direction the tuning knob turns depend on how the string is wrapped around the post? Am I missing something here (very possibly)?? Are the tuners actually built different, perhaps??

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Summers View Post
    I'm confused. Wouldn't the direction the tuning knob turns depend on how the string is wrapped around the post? Am I missing something here (very possibly)?? Are the tuners actually built different, perhaps??
    I'm no expert myself as well, but I believe the turning direction of the tuner is controlled by the direction of the grooves in the worm post like below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_001.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	75968

I believe the tuners on the Eastman 3XX mandolins are Golden Gate worm-over tuners that were rearranged to be installed as worm-under tuners on the Eastman. I think that's the reason for the backward turning direction.

I got a 305 in July to replace a Kentucky I'd gotten tired of -- and I love it. I love the look of the matte finish, it came with a setup that blew my teacher away (considering its price) and it's intonated perfectly all up the neck, even with the tuners it came with it stays in tune and it takes very kindly to being played hard --- I was sitting next to a banjo player at a session and I could hear myself play. I gave the gig bag away to the guy who bought my Kentucky and used the better case I'd bought for the Kentucky for the Eastman and all's well. My only objection is the G string feels a little tinny, but the mid ranges are strong and deep. I had a chance to play the 315 (i think) at the same time I tried the 305, and they sounded similar to my (admittedly mildly trained) ear. For me, the increase in price didn't translate to a better instrument, and I didn't care for the sunburst/nitrocellulose as much as the matte.
    I found out that the instrument was only about 3 weeks old when I bought it, so I figure it will open up and possibly get a deeper tone as it ages and I play it. I'm a fan. It doesn't have the gravitas of my strad, but it works perfectly for a second mandolin.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
    I'm no expert myself as well, but I believe the turning direction of the tuner is controlled by the direction of the grooves in the worm post like below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_001.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	75968

I believe the tuners on the Eastman 3XX mandolins are Golden Gate worm-over tuners that were rearranged to be installed as worm-under tuners on the Eastman. I think that's the reason for the backward turning direction.
    Thanks. That makes sense. So I suppose they use the same mechanism, just insert the stem of the tuner handle from different sides or something? I never saw a backward tuning mandolin, but then again, I've really never seen that many mandolins.

I've had a 505 for a few years now that I enjoy. It's my main instrument and I'm satisfied with it. I've posted quite a bit about altering the finish on mine, so at the risk of being redundant I'll chime in. I took all the gloss off mine using Scotchbrite and superfine steel wool to polish it back up. The tone and volume improved immediately; and after about three years it's smoothed out to a nice vintage look. I don't consider the stock tuners to be great, but they do their job well. The instrument holds tune extremely well, but I've always thought the knobs a bit stiff on the turn. I'm not sure how much the solid tailpiece does for tone but I've read here that it matters.

Having said all that, I'd not have any issues with owning a 305. Eastman is the real deal.

Hi folks ...newbie here ....after much deliberating , researching , googling ,forum-ing , e-mailing and listening ...I purchased the Eastman MD 305 mandolin yesterday . WHAT A GEM THIS INSTRUMENT IS IN EVERY RESPECT . The price here in Canada was 425.00 including pro set-up , gig bag and an xtra set of D'Addario coated strings ....not to mention the Eastman lifetime warranty and a year from the shop itself . I played a few Kentuckys ( km 162 , km 675 , Rover rm 75, owned an Epiphone mm 20 for a year , played the Epi MM 50 , the Fender stuff , THE EASTMAN MD 305 wins hands down for tone , playability , quality of workmanship , warranty AND price . More than happy with this purchase and my new MD 305 . The real thing without the bells and whistles . ..

roysboy

They are good, Eastmen.

17. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Play the heck out of that thing! Sounds like you made a good choice. Should keep you happy for a while -- everyone wants to trade up at some point after the MAS bug bites you, but it's a fine starter instrument for sure. Try to play things slowly and perfectly so you will learn only good habits. Speed will come later.

I was joking with a buddy the other day about playing guitar the " wrong way" for nearly 50years . I told him I'm learning to play the mandolin the " right way" ...technique first ...speed later . A wise comment Santiago .

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Play the heck out of that thing! Sounds like you made a good choice. Should keep you happy for a while -- everyone wants to trade up at some point after the MAS bug bites you, but it's a fine starter instrument for sure. Try to play things slowly and perfectly so you will learn only good habits. Speed will come later.

Blog Entries

Congratulations! I'm an Eastman fan too.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I took all the gloss off mine using Scotchbrite and superfine steel wool to polish it back up. The tone and volume improved immediately; and after about three years it's smoothed out to a nice vintage look.
    Man, I wish I had the guts to do that to my 515. The glossy finish has never appealed to me, and I figure it's gotta be gumming up the sound a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Laird View Post
    Man, I wish I had the guts to do that to my 515. The glossy finish has never appealed to me, and I figure it's gotta be gumming up the sound a bit.
    It was a guy with a 515 that inspired me. He took his down to bare wood, which seemed a bit drastic, but it sounded great. I'm very pleased with my mandolin and have no regrets. It's turned into a wonderful mandolin. I say go for it, if you're so inclined. It'll sound different and look a lot better too (to my eye anyway).

I have a 605 and it's great. The backwards tuners bugged me at first, but after playing it for 7 years, I'm used to them.
    Jim Yates

Hi! I'm looking to buy my first mandolin and the 305 seems great. But my hands are pretty big. Experiences from playing the 305 with larger than avarage hands/fingers would be much appreciated! I would go to a store and try one but no one in Sweden seems to carry them

Quote Originally Posted by Jeandren View Post
    Hi! I'm looking to buy my first mandolin and the 305 seems great. But my hands are pretty big. Experiences from playing the 305 with larger than avarage hands/fingers would be much appreciated! I would go to a store and try one but no one in Sweden seems to carry them
    One common feature of all Eastman mandolins is their very narrow neck. If I were you I'd consider something by Breedlove: they have an Asian made line that is around the same price as an Eastman. There's a great thread going on now about the 299.00 Crossover model. Good luck.

26. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeandren View Post
    i have a MD315 that i got recently (i am new. it was my first). thread here http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Off-Normal-Or
    now that i got a 2nd mandolin thread here http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...bacco-Sunburst i can see a difference in necks. the Eastman neck is slimmer and i have large hands also. for large hands all mandolins take some getting used to i am finding though. it can be done though. i'm probably just a bit sloppier starting out than someone with smaller hands is all. just practice to get the right angle down for pressure with my size hands is all.

if you are new you might want to read my swirly ear post to become aware of F vs A style mandolins. i ran into an issue on F style that i did not think about ahead of time as shown in the thread.

28. The following members say thank you to Twilo123 for this post: