Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Sam Bush A5 video

Default Young Sam Bush A5 video

Does anyone know the story behind the A5 that a very young Sam Bush is playing in this video?

It is not the Griffith A5; maybe an early A50 conversion or something similar?

'Amazing how young they all were.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVLemDIiUU
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Young Sam Bush A5 video

I think it's a re-necked A50, but don't remember the full story.

No clue, but I love seeing them at this stage of their musical development.
    Clark Beavans

I don't know, but those are some great old videos. I ended up watching for quite a while.

Thanks.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Great video! I love the match Green/Olive shirts

Wonder when that video was done? Tony is playing the bone, but he didn't acquire it from Joe Miller until 1975.

That is a cool mandolin Sam has. Either a reneck or an early custom instrument? Would like to know more.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Sam was playing with a loose wrist also.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I saw the early NGR in a random bar in Denver in 1973. He was playing the A5.

I was a freshman at CSU and drove down with a group of classmates to check out the band we were going to book for the campus beer joint (3.2 of course!). We booked them all right! That was a great show also!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Yes thats a re-necked A-50 by the look of the bridge placement! I'd say 40's-50's by the side burst I seen? And I don't think thats the "Clarence-28" Maybe Tony's interpretation? It just doesn't look right to me and sound right, Maybe wrong on both accounts!

that was prior to his accident that changed the way he had to pick with the right hand... and lead him to that BIG swing he uses
    John D

I saw him playing that A5 in 1972 or so... I forget who made that one though. I bet F5Loar or Darryl Wolfe would know...

If my memory is still good, that A5 was a converted A50 done by C.E. Ward out of Charlotte, NC. There were several builders doing these conversions in the Carolinas back then. and then again it could be a Randy Wood. Both guys back then used the Gibson logos.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Yes thats a re-necked A-50 by the look of the bridge placement! I'd say 40's-50's by the side burst I seen? And I don't think thats the "Clarence-28" Maybe Tony's interpretation? It just doesn't look right to me and sound right, Maybe wrong on both accounts!
    May be. But I don't remember hearing about Tony doing that. And it even has the filled bb hole in the top visible. The headstock is also too squared off to be a 60's conversion. The answer is probably either on the Martin Guitar forum or in one of the archives of flatpick-l. If the latter still exist.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Yes, its a Randy Wood A50 conversion. I played in a band the winter of ‘72 in Colorado (Goldrush). Brian Lappin, the banjo picker, bought it from Tut Taylor. Don’t know what happened to it after that.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twilson For This Useful Post:

Looks like he had an F 5 when the video starts and switched out to the A
    Danny Clark

And I don't think thats the "Clarence-28" Maybe Tony's interpretation?
    I think that's the White/Rice D28- when Tony originally got it the pick guard was peeling off, if I remember correctly. It's got the BB-scar, sound-hole, and squared off headstock...

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    And I don't think thats the "Clarence-28" Maybe Tony's interpretation? It just doesn't look right to me and sound right, Maybe wrong on both accounts!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T's Guitar 1.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	342.0 KB 
ID:	191103

Name:	T's Guitar 2.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	616.1 KB 
ID:	191104

Dug into "Still Inside" about this and it made it even more confusing to determine what it is, but it is not "The Antique", which he did not even have when he cut Rounder 0044 with Crowe, on which he used Hylo Brown's '48, and Hugh Sturgill's D-35.
    Tony says his father gave him two guitars;
    The first was "a piece of shit" '59 or '60 D-18.
    The second was "a beat up" '57 D-28 in "all original" condition.
    Tony says that he traded that second '57 D-28 with Clayton Hambrick for Hylo Brown's '48 D-28 (large double pick-guard, non-Herringbone) This is the guitar that is seen in pictures with the Martin decal on it's side, which Tony placed there. Tony says he played Hylo Brown's D-28 until he got #58957, so it is not easy to say exactly what he is playing in these clips and pictures with The Alliance which show one with a pick-guard and one without.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

Found some of this on The Martin Forum.
    I also seem to remember reading somewhere that Tony was such a CW fanatic that he actually made some guitar he had look as much like Clarence's as he could.

Name:	Hylo Brown.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	821.1 KB 
ID:	191125

Name:	TR 1.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	191126

Name:	TR 2.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	191127

Name:	TR 3.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	191124

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

Lonard (Lonnie Peerce) was a soldier during World War II and was wounded on the first day of the Battle of the Bulge. He carried scars and these injuries the rest of his life. Upon his discharge, he returned to KY and married Agnita Luckett on January 12th, 1945.
    Later he started hanging out with hippies and (soon to be) Jazz Cats.
    You got to hand it to Sam wearing his hair anything like that in the "Red" southern circles he traveled in.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

There’s an interview with mike Marshall where Sam talks a bit about those mandos, I think. If I can spend five uninterrupted minutes here, I’ll see if I can post it.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    Does anyone know the story behind the A5 that a very young Sam Bush is playing in this video?

It is not the Griffith A5; maybe an early A50 conversion or something similar?

'Amazing how young they all were.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVLemDIiUU
    Perhaps I can share some information on the mandolin. My dad, Lowell Eldridge sold the A-50 to Sam he says in either 1970 or 71. He says he thought the A-50 was a late 40's-early 50's mandolin. When my dad bought it, he said the finish was extraordinarily thick. He broke a piece of glass, a d.used it to scrape away the excess finish. None of us would think of doing anything like that today, but at the time he did that, it was just a used mandolin. There was a man that lived here locally that always had jams sessions in his basement. Any time a bluegrass act came to town, they usually ended up at Willie's basement for a night of jamming, food, and refreshments. I can remember as a child going to their home and Jimmy Martin sitting on the front porch. Dad went to a jam one night after a Bluegrass Alliance show. Dad had the A-50 with him. Sam played it and loved it. The mandolin had beautiful birdseye maple in its construction. Sam said he wanted to buy it and have it converted to long scale with a snakehead.
    I believe Ward did the conversion, although it might have been Randy Wood. I can't remember for sure.
    I ran into Sam at the mall in Nashville. We talked for a bit. I mentioned he bought the mandolin from my dad. He immediately said "yeah!! The A-50!!!". He said he still had it. His dad was still living at the time, and he said he had left it with his dad to play. I am sure Sam still owns it. We have some nice up close pics my dad took of the mandolin after Sam had it converted. I'll have to find those. I hope this sheds some light and gives at least a little information on the mandolin.

27. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Herringbone72 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herringbone72 View Post
    Perhaps I can share some information on the mandolin. My dad, Lowell Eldridge sold the A-50 to Sam he says in either 1970 or 71. He says he thought the A-50 was a late 40's-early 50's mandolin. When my dad bought it, he said the finish was extraordinarily thick. He broke a piece of glass, a d.used it to scrape away the excess finish. None of us would think of doing anything like that today, but at the time he did that, it was just a used mandolin. There was a man that lived here locally that always had jams sessions in his basement. Any time a bluegrass act came to town, they usually ended up at Willie's basement for a night of jamming, food, and refreshments. I can remember as a child going to their home and Jimmy Martin sitting on the front porch. Dad went to a jam one night after a Bluegrass Alliance show. Dad had the A-50 with him. Sam played it and loved it. The mandolin had beautiful birdseye maple in its construction. Sam said he wanted to buy it and have it converted to long scale with a snakehead.
    I believe Ward did the conversion, although it might have been Randy Wood. I can't remember for sure.
    I ran into Sam at the mall in Nashville. We talked for a bit. I mentioned he bought the mandolin from my dad. He immediately said "yeah!! The A-50!!!". He said he still had it. His dad was still living at the time, and he said he had left it with his dad to play. I am sure Sam still owns it. We have some nice up close pics my dad took of the mandolin after Sam had it converted. I'll have to find those. I hope this sheds some light and gives at least a little information on the mandolin.
    . . . and welcome Herringbone72! Interesting first post! You must have a few stories!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    . . . and welcome Herringbone72! Interesting first post! You must have a few stories!

f-d
    Thank you! I'm mainly into guitars, but love mandolins and mandolin playing.

Looks like that was before Sam broke his wrist/arm....?

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    Lonard (Lonnie Peerce) was a soldier during World War II and was wounded on the first day of the Battle of the Bulge. He carried scars and these injuries the rest of his life. Upon his discharge, he returned to KY and married Agnita Luckett on January 12th, 1945.
    Later he started hanging out with hippies and (soon to be) Jazz Cats...
    I believe Peerce used to introduce himself as the "hippy" band's "social worker."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM