Thread: Tune from The Mandolin Store Site

Default Tune from The Mandolin Store Site

Hi Everyone!

I have been trying figure out the tune in this below link from The Mandolin Store. It is a clip from a sound test of a Gibson Master Model that they had up on their website. But man he plays so fast, it is getting the best of me. Does anybody know what tune this is, and perhaps have any resources of where to learn it?

https://themandolinstore.com/product...andolin-great/

Thanks!

Default Re: Tune from The Mandolin Store Site

I believe it is called “Drinking Three Cups of Espresso and Playing Lots of Notes Very Quickly.”

At first it almost sounded like a choro tune. Then it seemed to veer off into some Dawg music and a few etudes from a classical method book. I actually believe he is just improvising. He obviously has monster chops but a few of us here have noted that his demos are not very useful to demo the mandolin. Play some scales, some chords, some chops, maybe show off the tonal qualities of the instrument as well as its sustain.

Well, in any case, the mandolin is sold. I imagine there may be some snatches of known tunes there. Maybe someone else can ID them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I don't know what song he's playing, but he's a great picker and the mandolin sounds good.

5. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

I much prefer the Mandolin Store demos by Adam . He plays a variety of things that give, at least to me, a better feel for what the mandolins can do.

James, the speed demon in the demo referenced, can obviously play, but only seems to demonstrate speed.

I think I mean I know Wooder was inquiring as to what song he was playing

Blog Entries

That video proves the old adage that even a flyaway pinkie can be trained to go where it is needed when it is needed. And if it's not an old adage, maybe it ought to be.

Unfortunately my pinkie remains untamed and untrained.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Speaking of great chops on the mando demos, a lot of the tunes also seem to be down about a 1/2 step...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

The first part sounds like Bach, then ... The rest ... no idea.

The worst thing is he's mostly blocking the view of what looks like a really nice old Gibson F4 on the wall. Maybe it's a Weber?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who had the same thoughts.

Adam does a great job with the demos... he hits nice full notes and lets them ring... you can really get a sense of what the instrument sounds like. Does he still work there?

The new guy has amazing chops I suppose, but the mandolins all sound somewhat similar at that speed... I’d love to have his improvisation skills, though, they’re unbelievable.

That particular MM has some amazing depth and power.. that’s obvious at any speed. Hope the new owner is enjoying the heck out of it, I would...
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Some of the phrasing or maybe one of the phrases reminds me of some or one of the phrases from Sierra Hull's "Bombshell"