Thread: Catalyzed Varnish Repair

Default Catalyzed Varnish Repair

Hello. I am considering buying an instrument that is in great condition except for a shallow "ding" on the lower bout top. The description of the instrument says it has "high gloss catalyzed varnish." I was wondering how difficult it would be to repair such a ding in such a finish, or if it's even doable. Would it be similar to repairing nitrocellulose, which is supposed to be relatively easily done by an experienced person? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Catalyzed Varnish Repair

A repair on a catalyzed finish will always show a "witness line" where the new finish meets the original finish. A drop-fill with CA glue [superglue] sanded and buffed can be very inconspicuous. If the wood is dented in, the reflectivity in the ding will be different from the area around, so it will always be visible in some light.
    Another approach is to accept the ding, realize you will probably add more marks to this instrument, and move on.
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Catalyzed Varnish Repair

Agree with Greg.
    You may want to steam the dent before filling. Have a look at frets.com on repairing dings. Frank mostly fills with thickened nitro but on many catalyzed finishes thin CA is the way to go. I glued cracked 5-string neck last year that had some kind of poly finish and I glued the tight cracks with CA and it actually sealed the finish cracks almost invisibly in one go as well. I also steamed and filled some minor dents where he neck got hit and after buffing even witness lines went away.
    If you are not repairman you'd better leave it to someone who has experience with this. CA fill can be tricky and steaming needs prctice as well.
    Adrian