Thread: New toy day

Default New toy day

Got one of these

https://www.thenocturnebrain.com/pro...ant-hot-preamp

Man is this fun. With my Mann EM5 outfitted with Lollar Charlie Christian pickups, I can get REALLY close to the sound Charlie Christian gets on the Minton recordings, my all time fav electric guitar sound.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New toy day

Lovely sound.

I'd like to try one of those. $285 is pricey but worth it I think.

Pedals are a whole 'nuther rabbit hole one dives into with electric mandolin or electric guitar - first is the axe, then the amp, then the pedals - and there's always more pedals to try out, then what about switching out pickups or push-pull pots for reversing phase or coil splitting...

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    Pedals are a whole 'nuther rabbit hole one dives into with electric mandolin or electric guitar - first is the axe, then the amp, then the pedals - and there's always more pedals to try out, then what about switching out pickups or push-pull pots for reversing phase or coil splitting...
    is it ever...
    especially when one develops a bl00dy strymon addiction!!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I've been lucky enough to own an octal 30's Gibson amp back when I thought guitar was cool. My hat's off to the maker for realizing there's a market for this sound, and to have the technical chops to stuff it in a Hammond box. Enjoy the heck out of it, Pete!

My husband is an electronics guy. He doesn't play, but he has done some amazing amp and pedal work. The most annoying part is when he tells me what these things actually cost to make. However, that does not stop me from buying these kinds of things. LOL
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."