Thread: Sight-reading resource

Default Sight-reading resource

There's a free notation program called MuseScore. I've used it for years, and it's really good open-source software.

Recently, I used it to write out a bunch of scales and arpeggios. Might as well post some of them here. The PDFs might be helpful, but using MuseScore as a play-along would be better. A couple of things to mention -

You would need to download the software. Not sure if it works for phone or tablet; definitely Windows and Mac. (Free, so that's cool. I'm not a developer, just an enthusiastic supporter.)

Playing along with the virtual piano, my intonation gets a wee bit... funky. (I just remind myself that I'm playing an acoustic instrument, and I'm not even-tempered. Or digital. So to speak.) Anyhow, here are the PDFs. I can't attach the MuseScore files. Have to figure that out later...

Happy happiness,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-A_Major.pdf 
Views:	90 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	190743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-D_Major.pdf 
Views:	75 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	190744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-G_Major.pdf 
Views:	79 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	190745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-C_Major.pdf 
Views:	64 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	190746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-F_Major.pdf 
Views:	75 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	190747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-B-flat_Major.pdf 
Views:	59 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	190748

2. The following members say thank you to Bill Stokes for this post:

Default Re: Sight-reading resource

I've become a big fan of MuseScore over the last few months. It is easy to learn (you have to take a quick tutorial as the functions are not particularly intuitive). Google searches work wonderfully to pinpoint just the clue you need for functions not addressed in the quick tutorial. I, too, have started using the playback for scales, speed studies, and for accompaniment on pieces for 2 (or more) mandolins. You can adjust playback speed up or down as needed and you can include or exclude a metronome click as desired. Though the software is a free download, I am so enamored with it that I'll make a contribution to the developer before the end of the year (as I do for Wikipedia and IMSLP).

Joe

PS: You can import PDFs into MuseScore for editing. This is still in a beta stage, but works for simple things quite well.
    Last edited by Joe Bartl; Dec-23-2020 at 1:09pm. Reason: add PS

4. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post: